Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2014 12:00:14 AM EDT

Look similar?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
looks like it's headed for around 7 or 8 an ounce.. I may buy a little then.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
but but fiat money!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, chart ignores market manipulation through paper.  Barclays was fined 10 mil pounds for it.  Bubble has yet to start since the public was still divesting itself of PMs when that prior peak was reached.  Remember, the public has to be in a mad rush to buy for it to be a bubble. When demand for physical can't be met, then PMs start going up in earnest.

Want to know where the real bubbles are?  Stock and bond market, student loan, credit bubble (still ongoing as witnessed by the sub-prime car loans), government spending and the dollar bubble.  The housing bubble hasn't been allowed to deflate fully.  All it takes is for the federal reserve to abandon ZIRP and then the derivatives market crashes, taking everything but PMs, tangibles and farmland (and undeveloped land) with it.

There are interviews with former Asst. Sect. of the Treasury, Dr. Paul Craig Roberts where he discusses PM manipulation and James Rickards (The Death of Money and Currency Wars) is also interviewed and says the same thing.  Rickards is a Pentagon insider who studies asymmetrical warfare.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, chart ignores market manipulation through paper.  Barclays was fined 10 mil pounds for it.  Bubble has yet to start since the public was still divesting itself of PMs when that prior peak was reached.  Remember, the public has to be in a mad rush to buy for it to be a bubble. When demand for physical can't be met, then PMs start going up in earnest.

Want to know where the real bubbles are?  Stock and bond market, student loan, credit bubble (still ongoing as witnessed by the sub-prime car loans), government spending and the dollar bubble.  The housing bubble hasn't been allowed to deflate fully.  All it takes is for the federal reserve to abandon ZIRP and then the derivatives market crashes, taking everything but PMs, tangibles and farmland (and undeveloped land) with it.

There are interviews with former Asst. Sect. of the Treasury, Dr. Paul Craig Roberts where he discusses PM manipulation and James Rickards (The Death of Money and Currency Wars) is also interviewed and says the same thing.  Rickards is a Pentagon insider who studies asymmetrical warfare.
View Quote

Then buy more silver. I will keep buying stocks. See you when I retire in 30 years.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Then buy more silver. I will keep buying stocks. See you when I retire in 30 years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck to you.  I'm retired already and you will outlive me.  

BTW, I don't think PMs are investments.  Rather, they're hedges against failure of the monetary system.  They're a way of preserving liquidity in uncertain times.  You don't get rich by buying PMs.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't buy silver to play the margins.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

BTW, I don't think PMs are investments.  Rather, they're hedges against failure of the monetary system.  They're a way of preserving liquidity in uncertain times.  You don't get rich by buying PMs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you might live another 30 years. My personal goal is to invest in dividend growth stocks and retire with a steady dividend income stream.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Now that ISIS claims to be minting gold/silver coins I wonder how long until fedgov tries to regulate them more heavily because terrorism. And what effect this will have on the price.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard that the ISIS PM coinage is a hoax.  If they tried it, other Arabs (especially the Saudis), the Russians, Chinese and Indians will be getting as much of their coinage as possible and ISIS will be back to paper in no time.  Because of the sanctions, Russia bought another 55 tons of gold. China officially has 1,064 tons but I suspect it's over 4,000 tons.  Since the ban has been lifted against Indians buying gold, India has been going hog wild to get as much as they can.

The only place without central bank demand on PMs is here (but then again, two million silver eagles sold in less than two hours last week so somebody is snatching it up and it isn't me.  Darn).
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking at silver today, it looked more like a depth charge than a bubble.

Good day to be short SLV, .
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Silver has recovered a bit as I type this.  It dropped over a dollar in just seconds, but is now down only $0.83.

Fun to watch, unless you are long.

Monday should be interesting.

If silver is an example of a bubble, the Swiss referendum must have been a pin.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:04:14 AM EDT
[#13]
A while back there was a thread about silver while it was around $18. I was arguing with another poster about whether it would hit $15 or $22 first. I was right
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A while back there was a thread about silver while it was around $18. I was arguing with another poster about whether it would hit $15 or $22 first. I was right
View Quote

I hope to see it around $10 when gasoline is $1.50/ gallon.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:16:03 AM EDT
[#15]
yeah, its hard to dismass teh pics in the op.

I will say that the dollar is also generally stretthening against commodities generally right now.  

also current silver stockpiles are low as it gets consumed, but the econ is generally slowing down isns't it?

hontelsy, silver is so much an industrial now, it is almost not a suitable for monetary purposes.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone really think that there is much left to this floor? This  price is already affecting the profitiablity of miners. Above ground supply should dwindle one would think. Besides, what has really changed with our monetary policies?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does anyone really think that there is much left to this floor? This  price is already affecting the profitiablity of miners. Above ground supply should dwindle one would think. Besides, what has really changed with our monetary policies?
View Quote

the cost of mining for silver is a tricky thing.  most of it is obtained in the course of mining other things.  So its kind of hard to say that it costs X to mine it.  

as the monetary policies, the last several years has gone to show that the economy has a mind of its own sometimes in spite of whtat the gov/central bank does.  They have increase dthe money supply a lot sure, which is the correct defination of inflation, but the velocity of money has not picked up.  And much more than all that money they made could dissappear in a day of deflationary collapse, if you understand how our debt money is leveraged and can "de-leverage" w/ stunning suddeness.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Assuming the chart in the OP is correct, what's the consensus on what the mean would have been, had their been no bubble?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:32:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Its not a bubble when nobody gives a shit. The bubble is always the sure thing that always differnt this time.  When everybody know what the sure thing is, that is your bubble.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:40:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Its not a bubble when nobody gives a shit. The bubble is always the sure thing that always differnt this time.  When everybody know what the sure thing is, that is your bubble.
View Quote

Uh, no.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

well, "this time it is different" w/ silver b/c of QE, budget, all the silver is used up in everyone's smart phone etc etc.

Sure general society is not participating in it like w/ housing but the gold/silver bugs can make a bubble w/o the help of everyone else.  

I wonder if it has to do w/ alot of older boomers being in retirement wantinga safe place to put their money as the have fears of stocks being in a bubble and governments defaulting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top