Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2014 7:56:43 PM EDT
Left my company and took the 401k cash and placed into a Rollover IRA.
This opens the door to numerous Mutual Funds and even stocks.
It is my understanding I don't have to worry about filing taxes when selling stock as its part of my retirement.
The only cost is the $8 trading fee.
Now that I have this flexibility should I stick with the 100% funds or place a percentage of the money toward specific stock?
Figure about 15+ years until retirement.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Dave Ramsey says that no part of your retirement portfolio should be invested in any single stock.  Following that advice - and 15 years to go - a nicely balanced 4 fund portfolio.

However, I have a smaller rollover IRA that I like to trade/dabble in stocks.  I have done TERRIBLE doing so over the long haul.    It is worth less today than when I left my company 9 years ago.  

But good luck to you.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you are asking, I would say that you would probably be better off in funds than individual stocks.

If you didn't ask, you would be more likely to have the kind of personality that would enjoy/prosper investing in individual stocks.

If you want to try individual stocks, you might be better off to start in a taxable account.  That way, if you lose, you get a tax deduction to go along with your education.

Good luck, whichever path you choose.  There really is no wrong way, but one way or the other might best serve you.

As far as Dave Ramsey goes, while I think he usually gives good advice, he doesn't seem to understand that those funds which he loves are all invested in individual stocks.

Just kidding, but only a little.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Stick with rule of 100.  100 - (your current age) = the percentage of your retirement portfolio that should be in equities.  I would avoid individual equities and stick with stock funds.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Driving around today doing errands and there was a financial talk radio show on and I sent them a text with the same question.
They actually responded on the air stating NOT to use any of the Rollover IRA for individual stock purchases.
Essentially confirming what was already stated.
I knew my AR.com brothers were pretty smart.
Guess if I decide to do the stocks it will be via E-trade or something.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:58:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I disagree that your rollover IRA should not have single stocks. 10 and 20 years ago after switching two jobs I sold those pathetic 401k mutual funds into rollover cash. I purchased 25 to 30 solid blue chips and bonds.

My new rollover portfolio has a few personal rules:
Do not purchase in the same industry I am employed (to avoid a crash of automotive stocks and loss of automotive job)
Do not buy if I already own in my personal portfolio (avoid risk of double fail)
Where possible take high dividend or interest as long as there is some positive growth over inflation (cash is yours whereas growth is paper gain)
From the previous rule, be patient replenish cash for your next year's investment from dividend and interest (remember keeping cash is fine if there are no deals to be found

With that mix of stocks and bonds you are practically running your own mutual fund for diversity. Of course I am fully aware of markets and watch every day for changes that might add or sell to adjust as needed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
i think stocks make sense for part of an overall strategy

part of what i am tring to do is create an income stream from dividends

in addition to taxable mutual funds and 401K i have about 15 individual stocks, one, exxonmobil i starting buying in the early 80's when I worked there

i started small and built positions over time, no momentum stocks just companies the US cant live without
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top