$500 5.6%
$4500 6.8%

Direct Loans
$4500 3.4% Subsidized
$2300 6.8% Un-Subsidized

Truck
$3000 8.25%

Gross income is $27,700

I got a raise a few paychecks back and also changed my federal withholding so I'm getting an additional $85 per check that I've been putting towards my truck. Part of me says that is the right way to go since it has the highest rate but the other part says to pay off the smallest loans first.

Thoughts?

Zach
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Highest rate with the highest amount owed is mathematically the correct loan to pay. But from a psychological perspective paying off the smallest loans and getting them out of the way is more rewarding.

If you are trying to save money and make the best of your finances the mathematical model wins.

ETA - Payoff order

Truck
$3000 8.25%

Stafford Loans
$4800 6.8%
$4500 6.8%

Direct Loans
$2300 6.8%

Stafford Loans
$600 6.8%
$500 5.6%

Direct Loans
$4500 3.4%

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I am so depressed about money it's not even funny. all I have done all morning is crunch numbers.
$5,390 personal debts with 0 interest.
$10,000 car @ 1.8%
I don't worry about the car but the personal debts are killing me mentally. I am considering selling enough toys to pay it off and relax a little
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]
PM your address and I will mail you a copy of Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover".

Use the "debt snowball" and pay off your debts smallest to largest.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
First, quit digging.  Live as cheaply as possible.  Eat Ramen noodles you scrounge off the homeless.

Get more money.  Sell stuff, work another job or two.  Get a better job.

Pay off the loans, smallest to largest for the psychological motivation, or highest interest first for your inner mathematician.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My total debt is just barely over $20k.

Stafford Loans
$4800 6.8%
$600 6.8%
$500 5.6%
$4500 6.8%

Direct Loans
$4500 3.4% Subsidized
$2300 6.8% Un-Subsidized

Truck
$3000 8.25%

Gross income is $27,700

I got a raise a few paychecks back and also changed my federal withholding so I'm getting an additional $85 per check that I've been putting towards my truck. Part of me says that is the right way to go since it has the highest rate but the other part says to pay off the smallest loans first.

Thoughts?

Zach
View Quote

The rates look really high to me.   Any chance you could refi or sell that truck?     Rates at a bank or credit union should be closer to 3%

Do your parents have any money?     For example, I would happily loan my kid 20,000 at 2% if I knew he was serious about digging his way out.

Any well off friends that trust you implicitly?     For example, most cash accounts, money markets and CDs are earning less than 2%.    People would be thrilled to earn 4% <IF> they know they will be repaid.

It goes without saying that you should sell stuff and get another job.      however, I know that is easier said than done.

The main thing is, Don't despair.     I know it doesn't seem that way to you right now, but $20,000 is pretty nominal.  You can pay that off easily, if you get serious about it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:The rates look really high to me.   Any chance you could refi or sell that truck?     Rates at a bank or credit union should be closer to 3%

Do your parents have any money?     For example, I would happily loan my kid 20,000 at 2% if I knew he was serious about digging his way out.

Any well off friends that trust you implicitly?     For example, most cash accounts, money markets and CDs are earning less than 2%.    People would be thrilled to earn 4% <IF> they know they will be repaid.

It goes without saying that you should sell stuff and get another job.      however, I know that is easier said than done.

The main thing is, Don't despair.     I know it doesn't seem that way to you right now, but $20,000 is pretty nominal.  You can pay that off easily, if you get serious about it.
View Quote

This is good advice ^^^ especially the part in red. If I had a close friend whom I feel is financially savy and is just trying to carve his way out of debt with judicious discpline on spending etc, I would have ZERO doubts loaning you $20k at 4% so you can get out from under those high rates.

Of course, that's because my mortgage is locked in at 3%, no car loans (pay for them in cash), student loans are already paid off, and a good income stream. I would happily put some of my money in a friend that I trust to pay me back. It's a win for him, and a win for me (solid return rate that is much better than letting it sit in cash).

Also, regarding paying off the debt smallest to largest, or higest rate to lowest. Financially speaking, highest rate to lowest will save you money in the long-run. But if you need to psychological "pump" of paying off a loan in entirity to keep yourself motivated start with the smallest debt and work to the largest. For me, I don't need that psychological effect, I just want to get out of debt in the manner that is most financially advantageous to me, and that is paying off my debts from highest rate to lowest, until I hit a threshold wherein I can earn MORE on my money than I could save by paying off the debt. That is where I am now. I'm sitting on some debt, but the interest rate is so low that I'm leavingmy money parked in areas that are earning me more money than my interest is costing me.

Debt isn't bad, only BAD debt is bad...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Smallest debts first. Then you can apply the funds that were going to that payment to the next smallest one, etc, etc.  Its the debt snowball and it works.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for Dave Ramsey.....

And, "IN" Before the haters who will say that Dave is wrong, and you should pay off your higher interest rates FIRST....

And, that's MATHMATICALLY CORRECT....You should do that....BUT....

You're in Debt...So that means you probably would "FAIL" if you tried to do it that way....

You'll have a better chance of Succeeding when you pay off the small balances first, then the next smallest, etc.

Doing it this way will give YOU the feeling of success and accomplishment....

Dave Ramsey
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#9]
1) Like others have said use the debt snowball (smallest to largest), listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio or through his website.

2) You need to have more money coming in.

3) You need to have a written budget for each month and tell your money what to do!

4) FOLLOW THE BABY STEPS!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My total debt is just barely over $20k.

Stafford Loans
$4800 6.8%
$600 6.8%
$500 5.6%
$4500 6.8%

Direct Loans
$4500 3.4% Subsidized
$2300 6.8% Un-Subsidized

Truck
$3000 8.25%

Gross income is $27,700

Thoughts?

Zach
View Quote

I need to know your living expenses. Rent, food, utilities. stuff like that. Are your student loans all paid at one time? I.E one payment of $x amount? Thats the way mine are.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Stop spending money you don't have on stuff you don't need.  Pretty simple really.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Stop spending money you don't have on stuff you don't need.  To impress people that you don't like.  Pretty simple really.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stop spending money you don't have on stuff you don't need.  Pretty simple really.
View Quote

Well yes, and while we are at it let's be supportive of people that are in this particular position AND have decided to fix things.

OP'er, something else you likely don't want to hear BUT if you are no longer in classes while having a full time job GET
another job on the side and/or get another full time gig that pays better than the current full time gig.  It is amazing
what a second job will do PLUS it will occupy your time which has several positive side effects.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

PS:  Good luck in recognizing the horror of being in debt.  Feel when I tell you that your debt is minor, you are learning
a valuable lesson for not much money.  Your future is bright, don't forget that fact.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
PM your address and I will mail you a copy of Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover".

Use the "debt snowball" and pay off your debts smallest to largest.
View Quote

I appreciate the offer but I've already read it. However if you want to mail me a copy of  "EntreLeadership", I would love you forever.

Zach
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The rates look really high to me.   Any chance you could refi or sell that truck?     Rates at a bank or credit union should be closer to 3%

View Quote

I refi'd the truck a year ago after I paid off a signature loan, My old rate was 12%, spoke with my credit union during lunch today, refi'd to 2.74%.

My parents are worse off than I am.

I do have a rich friend or two, none that I would be comfortable asking for $20,000.

Zach
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted: For me, I don't need that psychological effect, I just want to get out of debt in the manner that is most financially advantageous to me, and that is paying off my debts from highest rate to lowest, until I hit a threshold wherein I can earn MORE on my money than I could save by paying off the debt. That is where I am now. I'm sitting on some debt, but the interest rate is so low that I'm leavingmy money parked in areas that are earning me more money than my interest is costing me.

View Quote

I don't need that psychological boost either, once I decide I want to do something, it gets done.

Zach
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I refi'd the truck a year ago after I paid off a signature loan, My old rate was 12%, spoke with my credit union during lunch today, refi'd to 2.74%.

I do have a rich friend or two, none that I would be comfortable asking for $20,000.

Zach
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zach

There ya go!   Glad I could help.  
Ask for 5 or ten maybe.  Offer to have all the paperwork done officially.   Offer collateral, whatever it takes.  Time to think outside the box.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Just by thinking about paying off debt you have taken a huge step forward.  Like others have said, use the debt snowball.  It takes time and effort and isn't easy, but man being able to say "I'm debt free" is worth it.

Full disclosure...we aren't 100% debt free...we still have a mortgage, but that's it.  Everything else is paid for and we pay cash when we want to buy new things.  Working on paying off the mortgage now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I need to know your living expenses. Rent, food, utilities. stuff like that. Are your student loans all paid at one time? I.E one payment of $x amount? Thats the way mine are.
View Quote

Rent- $285
Utilities- $70
Truck Payment- $150
Insurance- $80
Student Loans- $125
Fuel- $50
Food- $150

My student loans are all lumped together.

Now that I'm committed, this should be a walk in the park.

Zach

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:51:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I appreciate the offer but I've already read it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the offer but I've already read it.

You've already read the book, then decided to ask the wisdom that is ARFCOM?  

Quoted:
However if you want to mail me a copy of  "EntreLeadership", I would love you forever.

Sorry, I don't have that book.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:29:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Op curious to see if you have all ready graduated yet or are you still in school.I am racking up the debt myself and haven't finished school yet.

I have no where near the income as you do. Going to school full time and working part time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Op curious to see if you have all ready graduated yet or are you still in school.I am racking up the debt myself and haven't finished school yet.

I have no where near the income as you do. Going to school full time and working part time.
View Quote

I've graduated with an associate's degree, decided that college wasn't for me since I didn't know what I was going for. When I was going to school, it was about 3/4 time, while working full time.

I've been at my job for almost 6 years, started at the bottom and now I'm the general manager.

ETA: For anyone wondering, I'm 24.

Zach
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've graduated with an associate's degree, decided that college wasn't for me since I didn't know what I was going for. When I was going to school, it was about 3/4 time, while working full time.

I've been at my job for almost 6 years, started at the bottom and now I'm the general manager.

Zach
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zach

Retail if I was to guess.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Yep
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yep
View Quote

We are in very similar situations then. I work retail as well but only part time.

I am tagging for everybody's advice for you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Think of all your debt as one lump sum and pay the more expensive parts of that lump some (the higher interest parts) first. working your way down to the lower interest rate parts.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't need that psychological boost either, once I decide I want to do something, it gets done.

Zach
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: For me, I don't need that psychological effect, I just want to get out of debt in the manner that is most financially advantageous to me, and that is paying off my debts from highest rate to lowest, until I hit a threshold wherein I can earn MORE on my money than I could save by paying off the debt. That is where I am now. I'm sitting on some debt, but the interest rate is so low that I'm leavingmy money parked in areas that are earning me more money than my interest is costing me.

Zach

Then pay highest rate to lowest rate... that will get you out of debt the fastest as long as you're throwing everything you've got at the debt.

The debt snowball will get you down fewer debts, but won't necessarily get you out the fastest.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#28]
The only reason to attack the lower balance accounts first (other than psychological) is if there is a potential for cash flow issues.  Getting rid of some of the smaller accounts would free up money in the case that only minimum payments would be able to be made.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#29]
If it was me I would pay off the debit in the following order:

$500 loan first - freeing up money to put to other loans as quickly as possible.
$600 loan next - again, quickly freeing up more money to put towards other loans, or for an emergency if needed.
$3000 Truck loan next
$2300 loan next

The two other Stafford loans next.

Then the $4500 loan.

If you can pick up another part time job do it to get some more income to pay off those loans.  Lots of places hire temp workers during the holidays.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I got a bit of a boost to my debt free plan. I smashed a deer with my truck and the insurance company totaled it. I have enough to pay off the loan and fix it.

All I have now are the student loans.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Zach
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Highest rate with the highest amount owed is mathematically the correct loan to pay. But from a psychological perspective paying off the smallest loans and getting them out of the way is more rewarding.

If you are trying to save money and make the best of your finances the mathematical model wins.

ETA - Payoff order

Truck
$3000 8.25%

Stafford Loans
$4800 6.8%
$4500 6.8%

Direct Loans
$2300 6.8%

Stafford Loans
$600 6.8%
$500 5.6%

Direct Loans
$4500 3.4%

View Quote

I disagree with this. I would pay the two Stafford loans for $600 and $500 first. That way you owe two less loans plus the minimum payments can be redirected to other loans.While the rates may be high I hardy doubt that those interest payments amount to much.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:48:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Another vote for the debt snowball mentioned earlier.  Good luck, OP.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I am so depressed about money it's not even funny. all I have done all morning is crunch numbers.

$10,000 car @ 1.8%

I don't worry about the car but the personal debts are killing me mentally. I am considering selling enough toys to pay it off and relax a little
View Quote
Why are you stressing about a debt that isnt accumulating interest?

I am all for living debt free but I would worry about the car since it is costing you money beyond what you borrowed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Zach
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zach

Be very careful is you ask friends for money.  You sound like a stand up person that will work to make sure they get paid back so it shouldn't be a problem, but borrowing from a friend can cause weirdness.  I've loaned money a friend before and was partially paid back.  It caused weirdness when I mentioned she had money for a vacation and yet couldn't pay me back the remaining $300.  We speak very rarely now.

All that said, follow the debt snowball, with getting a second job, and you'll be fine.  At your age you are learning a valuable lesson that will take you far financially.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quit spending money on frivolous crap and start paying more than the minimum monthly amount.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:42:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Free Snowball calculator

Link
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:10:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
$10,000 car @ 1.8%
View Quote

MUHAHAHAHAHA you think barely 5 grand in 0% interest debt is alot? BUHAHAHAHAHA!
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:39:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Get the hell off this site where every damn gun and trinket cost an arm and a leg.

Make more money.

Keep good discipline.

What more can you do?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:47:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Count your lucky stars that's all the student loan debt you have.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:11:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Think of all your debt as one lump sum and pay the more expensive parts of that lump some (the higher interest parts) first. working your way down to the lower interest rate parts.

View Quote

This. That emotional retardedness that Dave Ramsey sells is for mental midgets. Just because it "feels good" and "feels like you are getting somewhere" doesn't mean shit. Pay off highest interest first. That's how you actually get somewhere. A lot of what Dave Ramsey says is good, but the part where he says to first pay off small debts with a lower interest rate is

A quick way is to downsize on transportation if at all possible. If you have a 10K car, sell it and get a 5K car. This is difficult if you owe more than it's worth, but it's not impossible. Already done.

Review your monthly bills/expenses, and cut out the crap you don't need. Stop eating out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:28:59 AM EDT
[#41]
You need to get a better job.  Seriously...that income level isn't going to solve your long term issues.

If that means going to school, so be it.  

If you don't like college, go into a trade school.  Even electricians make more than that.  You can do better financially.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:22:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like a awesome way to lose friends and family
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Pay off the smallest/easiest loan to pay off first. Use what you paid toward that loan to the next smallest. So on and so forth.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
This. That emotional retardedness that Dave Ramsey sells is for mental midgets. Just because it "feels good" and "feels like you are getting somewhere" doesn't mean shit. Pay off highest interest first. That's how you actually get somewhere. A lot of what Dave Ramsey says is good, but the part where he says to first pay off small debts with a lower interest rate is

A quick way is to downsize on transportation if at all possible. If you have a 10K car, sell it and get a 5K car. This is difficult if you owe more than it's worth, but it's not impossible. Already done.

Review your monthly bills/expenses, and cut out the crap you don't need. Stop eating out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh...there's no way I could pay off my remaining $24k and $49k loans "first".

Paying off my small stuff first would be easier. Get it out of the way, and use the money I had for the small loans and put it toward the big stuff to get rid of it faster. Sure, I feel better when small loans are paid off. But I feel even better when I see the amount I owe on the big stuff shrinking faster while at the same time I'm not really throwing more money away than I was before.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#45]
STOP borrowing.
make more $.  Deliver pizza or something.
Debt snowball.

And, go to Dave Ramsey's financial peace.

I used to buy that "good debt" crap.  It's good until it bites you in the ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top