Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2014 10:52:19 AM EDT
I received this in an email from a "Penny" stock company that I have a very small investment with.  I googled "special warrant financing" but was hoping someone here could break it down for me.

Under the terms of the Offering, the Company will issue Special Warrants at a subscription price of $0.55 per Special Warrant.  Each Special Warrant will entitle the holder to receive upon exercise, for no additional consideration, one unit of the Company (a "Unit"). Each Unit will consist of one common share of the Company (a "Common Share") and one full Common Share purchase warrant (a "Warrant"). Each Warrant will entitle the holder thereof to acquire one additional Common Share at an exercise price equal to $0.65 at any time up to twenty-four (24) months from the closing date of the Offering.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a call option to me. The company is trying to raise money by selling these Special Warrants (never heard that term before), but it's basically giving you the opportunity to buy at $.65/share anytime in the next 2 years. They raise money from you by selling you the option (warrant), and you have an option to buy their shares. If the price ever rises above $.65/share, you can exercise the option to buy the shares from the company at $.65/share, then sell them in the open market for the going rate. However, it looks like the price of the warrant (option) is $.55 for 1 share. Most options are sold allowing the option holder to buy in lots of 100 shares, so essentially this is a very expensive option. The share price would have to rise to $1.21/share in order for you to exercise the option and come out ahead by $.01/share.

Now, you could always buy the warrant for the purposes of selling it later, the idea there being that if you don't think the underlying stock price will actually hit $1.21/share and instead come closer to $.90/share, you can sell the warrant for more than you bought it for when the stock is at $.90 because it will be worth more than you paid for it ($.90 - $.55 = $.35, the new additional value of the warrant). The important thing to note about options/warrants is that they're depreciating assets. The longer you hold them, the less they're worth because there's less time for the underlying stock to rise to profitable levels, so options can be very risky investments if you don't know what you're doing with them.

Edit* typo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top