Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2014 11:38:51 PM EDT
Let's say I use dollar cost averaging and indexing with an S&P500 index fund over a 20-year period. Can I expect to double my investment, taking inflation and dividends into account?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:29:17 AM EDT
[#1]
impossible to say

the market was flat for ten years from 2000-2010  for example.  to many variables.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Let's say I use dollar cost averaging and indexing with an S&P500 index fund over a 20-year period. Can I expect to double my investment, taking inflation and dividends into account?
View Quote

About all you can do is track the index fund's rate of return and apply the rule of 72. Take the actual rate of return and divide it into 72. That will tell you HOW LONG it will take to double your money. It only applies if your return rate stays constant for the duration.

Dollar cost averaging is a good basic strategy, as is buying low, or no-load index mutual funds. Especially when you consider that only +/- 15% of ALL Mutual Fund managers ever manage to simply equal the performance of index funds, much less outperform them.

And remember that a diversified portfolio does not mean having 20 or 30 mutual funds, it means having 8 to 10 that cover the 9 basic mutual fund style models that are commonly in use.

As to what taxes and inflation will do to your returns, one can only guess.
ymmv.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Past returns are history, not indicative of future results.

On the other hand, an index fund will not UNDERperform the market and will incur the least amount of fees compared to active funds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top