Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2014 1:35:38 AM EDT
I've been watching Sea Drill drop like a rock for the last couple months, along with a sizable chunk of my portfolio...  

Still a sound investment?

Good time to buy?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like trying to catch a falling knife.

Who knows how the sanctions against Russia will play out?

Maybe I am wrong, but I would be patient with this one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in for a small chunk at $34.

I wouldn't buy more- doubleing down on a loser has never worked out for me.

But, they say the div is solid thru 2016 so I'm going to hold on the rational that a lot of the current head winds will clear by then and the share price will eventually recover.

I like dividends.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I am considering getting back into it myself. I sold my SDRL a month ago around $39/share. I may dump that right back into it now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not a financial adviser, I am not offering financial advice. Below is my opinion of the future direction of price from a technical standpoint only.

Institutions move prices. There is no technical evidence that there is institutional purchasing at this time. The smart money were dumping this stock in the $33-$39 range.

$32 will offer an exceptional amount of technical resistance (sellers) at this point.

I would look for a dead cat bounce (slightly higher prices with low amounts of volume) then continuing a furtherance of momentum to the downside.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#5]
This is getting stupid. Currently trading at 3x earnings.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I would like to risk a grand.   Anyone else have an opinion.   3p/e is pretty low
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:48:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would like to risk a grand.   Anyone else have an opinion.   3p/e is pretty low
View Quote

I bought Apple at ~70$years ago (7$ at today's price) sold it at 7.50.
i missed out on Tesla in the 40's because they didn't pay a dividend.  Although i did later buy at 170 and sell at 250 in less than a month.

Point is you never know. I know nothing about this company. But my initial gut reaction is if they are tied heavily to Russia i would avoid investing in them, or invest less than than i usually do.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Without looking a P/E of 3 indicates either a mathematical fluke or some serious issues brewing.  I'd be scurred to death of putting money into that unless I knew what those issues were and could rationalize to myself why those issues were not going to be as big of a deal as the market thinks they will be.  The market is valuing the company at 3 times earnings for a reason.  You need to know what that reason is otherwise you are just a bag holder.

For example, I bought BP at the height of the Gulf spill.  I waited patiently until estimates regarding the cost of the spill started working their way into the news.  Once those estimates became available, I did some quick math on what that kind of one time hit would mean to BP based on a review of their balance sheet and income statement.  I found the estimates didn't jive with the whole narrative that BP was going to get wiped out and I bought them near the bottom and it ended up being a good trade.

It could have gone against me but the important thing is that I was working with some real information to make my decision.  It wasn't a lot of information nor was it a complex analysis but it was still far better than throwing a dart against the wall and seeing where it sticks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Gonna be curious (in the vomit my guts up kind of way) to see what happens to oil stocks when oil falls to sub-70. Some of these have giving up well beyond 50% with a $20 drop in oil.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
My ass hurts...
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#11]
My cousin is In Oil and I talked to him about it.   He said think about what happens to oil companies when the boom stops and they are holding all the expensive equipment.  I couldn't pull the trigger and these guys hold some of the most expensive oil equipment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top