Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 9:06:13 PM EDT
Can you link a normal bank account to E*Trade? Or do you have to set one up with one of the banks they use?
When you do buy a stock or whatever it may be, what fees are there?
What fee is there for selling?

I'm sure I could find the answers on the website but there is so much to read.

Is E*Trade something you would use or is there another one you would choose?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You can move money from your E*TRADE bank  account to your local bank account with a few clicks, no problem.  You can even set up a recurring move in either direction.  (Yes, that could lead to an overdraft, I suppose, on your bank side.  E*TRADE would just use your margin account).

Most stock trades are $10, ($9.99, I think?), that is buying, and another $10 for selling.  Slightly higher than some of the competitors.

I have been with E*TRADE for 16 years now.  I might be happier some where else, but moving would make me unhappy, so I stay where I am.  I don't trade enough to worry about a few dollars commissions.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you buy without going through etrade or scott trade?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Buy stocks?

Yes and no.  Some companies have direct-purchase plans which have low/no commission expense.

The downside is that your options will be limited as far as building your portfolio and that you don't have access to any of the tools and resources of a brokerage.  If you're investing a small amount of money every month and you don't want it to get eaten up by commissions, you could also consider going through a broker and purchasing no-load mutual funds or commission-free ETFs (if available through that brokerage).
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

you could buy a seat on an exchange.

I'm paying 5 bucks a trade on Etrade but I opened that account in '99. I'll need to roll a 401-k over at year's end and I'm wondering if I should ask Etrade if I'll get the same rate as my current account. I'd hate for someone there to figure out they should have jacked me up years ago.

I've linked to Etrade from my checking account and a Capital One esavingsbank account. Additionally, I have Etrade checks I can use if needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top