Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2014 9:07:54 PM EDT
If you own shares of XYZ but have them held in an online brokerage, what happens to those shares if the brokerage goes belly up?
What about your cash that they hold in a money market account?

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#1]
My (ignorant) understanding:

Cash is insured by either FDIC or SIPC depending on the fund/method you select (for TD Ameritrade, at least), so I think it would be the same outcome as if your bank were to go under.  Who knows what the circumstances would be if that happened on a large scale, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Securities are kept separate from the firm's assets and should be able to be transferred to another brokerage.  Looks like it's regulated pretty heavily, so as long as your account isn't with some shady brokerage, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.  Of course laws haven't prevented financial scams and fraud before, but it's either that or keep it in the safe.

http://www.finra.org/Investors/ProtectYourself/InvestorAlerts/TradingSecurities/P116996

Hopefully never have to find out though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
SIPC will protect you against fraud, up to whatever their level currently is.  That is fraud committed by the brokerage.  Think Bernie Madoff.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is some good advice I found.

"There may be ways to help protect assets, for example, confirm that your broker is a member of SIPC by visiting www.sipc.org, looking for the SIPC link on your broker's website, or looking for the SIPC logo on your customer account statement;[20] invest only with reputable firms; open multiple accounts (individual, joint, IRA, ROTH) with the same firm; or, if possible, limit the amount invested with each firm to the SIPC covered limit."
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe that stock accounts held in brokerages are just covered up to $500K.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SIPC will protect you against fraud, up to whatever their level currently is.  That is fraud committed by the brokerage.  Think Bernie Madoff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wouldn't bet on that.  See this article:

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=229401

However, you are protected against missing securities -- that is, theft.

So in the case of Stanford and Madoff what happened is that we had a crook that stole the
funds.  If you get a statement from a broker that says you own 100
shares of IBM and when the time comes there really aren't 100 shares of
IBM being held in street name for your benefit, the SIPC is supposed to cover that.

That's the entire point of the SIPC.

But what they argued, successfully in court, is that a Ponzi Scheme unknown to the customer is not "missing securities."

In other words theft is only theft when they say it is.

Also, look what happened at MF Global.  MF Global was mostly a commodities/futures broker, but when they filed for bankruptcy, they did so as a securities (i.e.) broker instead of a futures broker.

The other part of what is happening is due to the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2005.  One of the things this Act did was to put "derivatives" in front of depositors in terms of who gets the bank's equity.  With trillions of dollars of derivatives at banks, depositors will not stand a chance at getting anything from whatever is left of a bank's funds at bankruptcy.  I'm not sure, but I believe there is a similar issue with at stock brokers.

I am not giving any financial advice, just telling you what I did.  To give myself the best chance of keeping what is in my account if my brokerage goes under, I've registered my brokerage account as a "Cash" account, instead of a "Margin" account.  It used to be a choice when opening a brokerage account, but I think that these days, when opening an account, it is automatically designated as a "Margin" account.   "Margin" accounts allow you to borrow money to buy stocks with, or to do short selling, or to buy and sell stock options.  In addition, it allows the brokerage company to borrow the shares of stock and other securities in your account for their own purposes (like using it as collateral to borrow money or other assets, for example).  This is where the "owner" of a margin account will likely get into trouble if the brokerage goes under....they won't be able to return your shares because they won't have them...they have been used as collateral, or hypothecated/re-hypothecated away.  

So that takes care of the stocks and corporate bonds (i.e., they will be gone).  What about the cash and treasury bonds in the brokerage accounts?  They will disappear also.  They will be taken by other creditors of the brokerage.  This is part of what happened at MF Global, and I believe the creditors got away with it because of the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2005.

That brings us to how your brokerage account is designated at your broker: "Margin" account vs "Cash" account.  Maybe, and this is a big maybe, to avoid the above issues, when I opened my most recent brokerage account a few years ago, I designated my brokerage account as a "Cash" account. When I opened my first brokerage account 25 years ago, there was a clearly marked section on the application that gave this choice. These days, I get the impression that a new brokerage account is automatically designated as "Margin" account.  A call to customer service was needed to make sure the account is a "Cash" account.  My broker tried to fool me by just taking away my "margin" permission (i.e., take away permission for me to borrow cash to buy more stocks, using existing stocks in my account as collateral) on my margin account.  But that is not the same thing.  Not only do I not want to borrow on margin, but the whole account needs to be designated as a "Cash" account; i.e., an account where I am NOT giving the broker any permission to borrow from, or use, for its own purposes.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also, look what happened at MF Global.  MF Global was mostly a commodities/futures broker, but when they filed for bankruptcy, they did so as a securities (i.e.) broker instead of a futures broker  ....  This is part of what happened at MF Global, and I believe the creditors got away with it because of the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2005.  
View Quote

i'm not saying that MF Global's behavior wasn't criminal, however...

my brother's energy trading company (oil and natgas) used MF Global as an intermediary -- and his and his client's monies were sucked into the "intermingling" issue.  although it was touch and go for a couple of years there -- and although his personal and client energy trading was wholly disrupted -- my brother and his clients were eventually were made whole as of april this year.  the effect on his business was profound, of course, and there was an opportunity cost lost as well as lot of customer goodwill (and as you probably know energy futures traders are not playing with US$10K positions...).   but he did get his personal capital back (it was north of US$500K) and in the end his clients didn't "lose" their initial investment money.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/04/03/mf-global-customers-to-be-paid-back-in-full/

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So in the case of Stanford and Madoff what happened is that we had a crook that stole the funds.  If you get a statement from a broker that says you own 100 shares of IBM and when the time comes there really aren't 100 shares of IBM being held in street name for your benefit, the SIPC is supposed to cover that.

But what they argued, successfully in court, is that a Ponzi Scheme unknown to the customer is not "missing securities."

Also, look what happened at MF Global.  MF Global was mostly a commodities/futures broker, but when they filed for bankruptcy, they did so as a securities (i.e.) broker instead of a futures broker.

The other part of what is happening is due to the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2005.  One of the things this Act did was to put "derivatives" in front of depositors in terms of who gets the bank's equity.  With trillions of dollars of derivatives at banks, depositors will not stand a chance at getting anything from whatever is left of a bank's funds at bankruptcy.  I'm not sure, but I believe there is a similar issue with at stock brokers.

I am not giving any financial advice, just telling you what I did.  To give myself the best chance of keeping what is in my account if my brokerage goes under, I've registered my brokerage account as a "Cash" account, instead of a "Margin" account.  It used to be a choice when opening a brokerage account, but I think that these days, when opening an account, it is automatically designated as a "Margin" account.   "Margin" accounts allow you to borrow money to buy stocks with, or to do short selling, or to buy and sell stock options.  In addition, it allows the brokerage company to borrow the shares of stock and other securities in your account for their own purposes (like using it as collateral to borrow money or other assets, for example).  This is where the "owner" of a margin account will likely get into trouble if the brokerage goes under....they won't be able to return your shares because they won't have them...they have been used as collateral, or hypothecated/re-hypothecated away.  

So that takes care of the stocks and corporate bonds (i.e., they will be gone).  What about the cash and treasury bonds in the brokerage accounts?  They will disappear also.  They will be taken by other creditors of the brokerage.  This is part of what happened at MF Global, and I believe the creditors got away with it because of the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2005.

That brings us to how your brokerage account is designated at your broker: "Margin" account vs "Cash" account.  Maybe, and this is a big maybe, to avoid the above issues, when I opened my most recent brokerage account a few years ago, I designated my brokerage account as a "Cash" account. When I opened my first brokerage account 25 years ago, there was a clearly marked section on the application that gave this choice. These days, I get the impression that a new brokerage account is automatically designated as "Margin" account.  A call to customer service was needed to make sure the account is a "Cash" account.  My broker tried to fool me by just taking away my "margin" permission (i.e., take away permission for me to borrow cash to buy more stocks, using existing stocks in my account as collateral) on my margin account.  But that is not the same thing.  Not only do I not want to borrow on margin, but the whole account needs to be designated as a "Cash" account; i.e., an account where I am NOT giving the broker any permission to borrow from, or use, for its own purposes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
However, you are protected against missing securities -- that is, theft.

So in the case of Stanford and Madoff what happened is that we had a crook that stole the funds.  If you get a statement from a broker that says you own 100 shares of IBM and when the time comes there really aren't 100 shares of IBM being held in street name for your benefit, the SIPC is supposed to cover that.

Your securities are either held in Type 1 or Type 2(margin). Your broker was not being sneaky and you did not prove yourself right. You can have all the margin privileges you want on an account, but if you securities are held in Type I, you aren't doing anything in margin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top