Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2014 3:41:27 PM EDT
Hope this is ok in this forum. I inherited a house 6-8 years ago and and in the process of selling it. I cant seem to find a answer on what is going to happen to me tax wise.

I am hoping to be able to buy a house since I am currently renting but would like to know my options either way.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert but I think you will have to pay capital gains tax from the prophets, but I believe buying a house in that same tax year that cost more than the one you sold gets you out of some or all the taxes.  The part about it being inheritance makes me unsure.  Call a tax accountant should be an easy question.

snowman357
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a similar issue a couple years back, I THINK (you need a CPA because I'm not one) that you have to pay capital gains from how much the property has increase in value from when you inherited it. So if it was declared as 120k at the time of death/probate and its sold for 130 k you owe capital gains on 10k gain. if it had no gain in value you owe nothing. Thats what I THINK. But you really need a CPA.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Well that was my next question. I didnt know who to go to and it sounds like a CPA is where I need to be, I read something that was mentioning the value when she died as opposed to now. If they simply go off of the assessed value I will probably be fine as it is in rough shape.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:16:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a similar issue a couple years back, I THINK (you need a CPA because I'm not one) that you have to pay capital gains from how much the property has increase in value from when you inherited it. So if it was declared as 120k at the time of death/probate and its sold for 130 k you owe capital gains on 10k gain. if it had no gain in value you owe nothing. Thats what I THINK. But you really need a CPA.
View Quote

I am not a CPA but this is correct. Your basis in the house is the value of it at the time you inherited it. You will pay taxes on any amount about your basis when you sell it.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you used it as a primary residency for 2 years and some other restrictions, you will have to pay capital gains taxes.

Capital Gains For Home Sales
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unless you used it as a primary residency for 2 years and some other restrictions, you will have to pay capital gains taxes.

View Quote

Yeah that will suck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah that will suck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that will suck.

That being said, if you've used it as your primary residence and have owned it for ten years, and you sell for less than $500k (or is in less than $500k capital gains?) it's all exempt...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:06:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I did use it as my primary residence but not in the last 5 years which is the time frame I keep seeing. Hope to talk to a CPA this weekend or next. Have a solid offer on the house so hopefully it will be sold soon.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#9]
You may want to ask the CPA if a 1031 exchange will help you since you are looking to buy another home.

I don't know a lot about what qualifies so that's definitely a question for a pro.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You may want to ask the CPA if a 1031 exchange will help you since you are looking to buy another home.

I don't know a lot about what qualifies so that's definitely a question for a pro.
View Quote

1031 applies to investment properties so I couldn't live in it right away.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#11]
6-8 years ago was the top of the property bubble... you may likely be selling at a paper loss.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
6-8 years ago was the top of the property bubble... you may likely be selling at a paper loss.
View Quote

One can hope
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm no expert but I think you will have to pay capital gains tax from the prophets, but I believe buying a house in that same tax year that cost more than the one you sold gets you out of some or all the taxes.  The part about it being inheritance makes me unsure.  Call a tax accountant should be an easy question.

snowman357
View Quote
those prophets can be expensive tax wise.....delivering the word of god and all....

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am not a CPA but this is correct. Your basis in the house is the value of it at the time you inherited it. You will pay taxes on any amount about your basis when you sell it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can have a real-estate person put together a "Time Of Death" appraisal on the home estimating the value
at the time you inherited it. The inference will be considered capitol gains.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That being said, if you've used it as your primary residence and have owned it for ten years, and you sell for less than $500k (or is in less than $500k capital gains?) it's all exempt...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that will suck.

actually, the rule is:
you must have lived in the house for 2 of the last 5 years to make the first $250k exempt, it's $500k if married filing jointly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top