Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2014 11:04:00 AM EDT
The accountant at my day job is requiring me to get signed W9's from every vendor i buy a gun from through gunbroker or wherever. Its proving to be a nightmare. I'm pretty sure this isn't necessary, but can some of you atleast help explain to me why they think we need this?

ETA: I have asked repeatedly and the best answer i get is that we can't expense anything we dont get a W9 for. This sounds like BS to me. When I get gas at a gas station the cashier doesn't hand me a w9 they hand me a receipt.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you a FFL buying for resale?

Does the Accountant want to issue a 1099 to these people too?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't need to get a W9. You need to get a better accountant.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Fire accountant. Really..
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:02:45 AM EDT
[#4]
<- FFL
Quoted:
The accountant at my day job is requiring me to get signed W9's from every vendor i buy a gun from through gunbroker or wherever. Its proving to be a nightmare. I'm pretty sure this isn't necessary, but can some of you atleast help explain to me why they think we need this?

ETA: I have asked repeatedly and the best answer i get is that we can't expense anything we dont get a W9 for. This sounds like BS to me. When I get gas at a gas station the cashier doesn't hand me a w9 they hand me a receipt.
View Quote

I just went through a tax audit earlier this year.  With proof of payment (check, receipt for USPS MO, CC statement, etc) and screen shots of the auctions (there weren't many) I had no problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top