Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 2:49:44 PM EDT
Got a truck payment and have decided (mostly) to part with it while they still have a decent resale value.  Im looking at picking up a good used truck soon as a daily driver.  That extra $490/month will go toward preps, reduce my debt load and improve my debt/income ratio.  Me and the Mrs make well into 6 figures, but I simply dont want to pay off the truck.  That extra $18K or so to pay it off will buy a good chunk of shiny metal from gainsville coins.  Wifes car is almost paid for and only other debt is a 15 yr mortgage with 10 yrs left at a 3.25% interest rate.   Already maxed out my IRA contribution for the year.
Wife doesnt really like the idea.  Says I am a tightwad.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I would pass on the "shiny" stuff.  How do you know its going to have any value if SHTF?  Honestly, if things get bad the most valuable currency will be consumable goods, metal isn't going to do much for you, especially at first.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Mods - can you move this to the survival discussion forum?  thnks
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would pass on the "shiny" stuff.  How do you know its going to have any value if SHTF?  Honestly, if things get bad the most valuable currency will be consumable goods, metal isn't going to do much for you, especially at first.
View Quote

The "shiny" stuff has been a medium of exchange for thousands of years. Even if we have a SHTF event knocking us back to the dark ages, commerce will still occur at some level as it has for thousands of years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you buy too much house?  How about other debt?  If the truck is cramping your style, you may have other issues that need to be resolved.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The "shiny" stuff has been a medium of exchange for thousands of years. Even if we have a SHTF event knocking us back to the dark ages, commerce will still occur at some level as it has for thousands of years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure if you can survive the initial collapse.  What good is all the metal going to do for you in the initial first few months to years?  You think anyone is going to come after you for your metal after the initial fall?  No they are going to come after your food and supplies because they are hungry and they are going to kill your for it if needed.  Maybe if you can survive long enough for things to calm down and some crude sort of civilized society forms your metal will help you.  As a prepper you are a target whether you think you are or not and you have a medium to low chance of survival.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top