Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2014 8:21:48 AM EDT
Anyone looking at companies outside the US and care to share some names or sectors to look at?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:49:58 AM EDT
[#1]
No to China.  They've a bigger housing bubble thanks to over-leveraging than we had and they're due to pop soon.  They've already had one bank fail and there are more to follow.  Second, they're a export based economy dependent on the foreign consumer.  Foreign consumers worldwide are broke.  If you want proof, look at copper sales to China and imports from other nations that provide raw material as well as China's energy consumption.  They all suggest slowdown.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on how much money we are talking about here.  I was in VALE for a while, they take the foreign tax off the top of the dividend.  You can write this off on your taxes, but seriously, you should checkout the tax form to do this, it is fucking insane, I had something like $25 in dividends and I saw the form and said "fuck that" and let the .gov keep their money, it was not worth the effort.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had dividends come from Germany and Chile. I paid foreign taxes when I recieved those dividends. Keep that in mind. That said I wouldnt trust China for reasons mentioned in this thread. I also lost a good amount of money in a company when the government decided to take them over and nationalize them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No to China.  They've a bigger housing bubble thanks to over-leveraging than we had and they're due to pop soon.  They've already had one bank fail and there are more to follow.  Second, they're a export based economy dependent on the foreign consumer.  Foreign consumers worldwide are broke.  If you want proof, look at copper sales to China and imports from other nations that provide raw material as well as China's energy consumption.  They all suggest slowdown.
View Quote

I had turbo tax do mine. It was pretty simple.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Richest man in Asia bailing out of Chinese property.  Article discusses over leveraging of property.  Read about it in this link here

BTW, the article mentions very briefly the decline of copper prices.  Copper sales are an indication of growth because it's needed for buildings (no chit Sherlock), electronics and industry.  I mentioned it in another post in General Discussion.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I was recently in China and can agree with the housing over supply.   Was in Xian and there were so many new high-rise apartment buildings being built its unbelievable.  Odd thing is at night there were zero lights on in any of them.  Basically they were empty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top