Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2014 12:38:41 PM EDT
I have a Roth IRA that I opened a last year through scottrade. I opened with the intent of picking individual stocks, but have decided against that approach and am now looking at ETFs to invest in. Any recommendations? I would like something fairly aggressive as I am somewhat young, 32 to be exact. Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I like RSP.  It is the equal weight S&P 500 fund.  

Unlike SPY, the regular S&P500 fund, it holds equal portions of all of the 500 stocks.

Since smaller stocks usually grow faster than large stocks, it usually, (not always!), out-performs SPY over long time periods.

Another place to look is EES.  There are several good Wisdom Tree funds, this is the one I have been buying.

I use E*Trade, and there are no commissions for this fund, and quite a few others.  Every penny saved helps a little bit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out:

VTI - Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (a total market ETF should be a bit more aggressive than an S&P 500 index ETF). .05% ER

VO - Vanguard Mid-Cap ETF (more aggressive still, probably not something you want your whole portfolio made up of) .10% ER

There are also some pretty affordable total market and S&P 500 index funds out there if you don't want to hassle with always having to buy whole shares as you will with ETFs. Consider:

SWTSX - Schwab Total Stock Market Index Fund, $100 minimum initial investment and .09% ER

FUSEX - Fidelity Spartan 500 Total Market Index Fund, $2,500 minimum initial investment and .10% ER

VFINX - Vanguard S&P 500 Index Fund, $3,000 minimum initial investment and .17% ER

hope that gives you some ideas

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:26:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I like Vanguard funds. One of my core holdings is VDIGX.

I have a chunk in VTI and VYM.

Also look at the Ivy Mid Cap funds. WMGAX and WMGYX have done well for me.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Smart decision on avoiding single stocks. They are the quickest way to make money and the quickest way to lose it. I like investing not gambling.

I buy almost exclusively vanguard funds. They have low fees and are ran well.

I do the mutual funds and not the etfs so I don't know the tickers off the top of my head but total stock market, and total international should make up the bulk of your portfolio. I have 80% of my money in these two funds. The other twenty percent I put in things I like at the moment which are still vanguard funds but are sector or market cap specific.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top