Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2014 9:54:01 PM EDT
so i got a quote today, granted it is the first quote i requested, and first one to come in(3 more should arrive this week from other vendors)
the quote came back for 4,100+ for a 255K$ 4 family building, new electrical, new plumbing(its in superb shape)
replacement cost was slated at 470K by the insurer.
2 mil$ total liability coverage, replacement cost covering 470K, and all the usual junk in the policy about per instance, per year claim caps.

i know this quote is high as hell, what im wondering is, what is a normal rate for insuring such a property?
its not in a flood zone, high crime area or anything like that. its across from a damn preeschool and park...

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:11:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you living on the property? Non-Owner Occupied property insurance is usually much more expensive than owner-occupied as is replacement cost insurance verses standard insurance. I haven't been in the rental market in many years, but I don't remember many landlords who purchased replacement value insurance for investment properties, but things may have changed. Those two factors would have major impacts on insurance costs in addition to the replacement value the insurance company placed on the property.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:14:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Insurance on my 2 rental properties is lower than when I lived in the homes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

i expected a slight increase compared to my home i live in, however the rental is almost half the cost of my home, and the insurance is  5.12 times more expensive...
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I would expect somewhere in the ballpark of $2500-$3000 a year.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would expect somewhere in the ballpark of $2500-$3000 a year.
View Quote

well i should find out soon enough, 6 requests for quotes sent out today.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Are the units occupied right now?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes. with long term tenants
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that.  Unoccupied can spike the prices.  FWIW, I pay about $600 for $300k replacement cost (similar in all other aspects to your policy) on a single family rental.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#9]
How are you holding the property? One way to lower your insurance is to lower your liability limit. You may be able to do that safely depending on how your state treats various forms of ownership. You might consider talking to an attorney about this.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, mine was the same or went down some.  Single family tho.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#11]
We have a 100k rent house. Insurance is $850 a year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top