Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2014 10:07:16 AM EDT
So I am putting together my tax return and was talking to my buddy the other day about work related deductions, specifically mileage expenses.

I am military and drive my car to work everyday.

However, I was under the impression that you CAN'T deduct mileage to and from work on a daily basis?  Have I been wrong this whole time?

Also, how does one prove how many miles you traveled all year without taking pictures of your odometer everyday?  

Am I just clueless here?

Thanks fellas.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You are correct, you CANNOT deduct your normal to and from miles to work.  You can however deduct your miles for any work related trips where you use your own car.  For example, you could deduct the miles your drove to a customer worksite or if you drove to a conference.  BUT only if your employer does not reimburse your for these miles.  If you get paid for your miles, you CANNOT deduct them on your taxes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#2]
You can't deduct mileage to and from work.  I have a home office and travel a lot, so all of my mileage is deductible that I use for work.  Of course you have to log that.  They make logs for this purpose that you can pick up at any office supply store.

Of course as stated above if you are reimbursed for your mileage you can't claim them either.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#3]
so I was right in that normal home to work cannot be deducted...

Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

View Quote

Your friend is in for an audit shortly....
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#5]
If you were sent to a SHARP seminar in DC, but don't get to have a GSA, or claim mileage on DTS, you could claim it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

I tried to tell him he was wrong but the way he explained it to me that we are government employees traveling to work made me second guess myself...  I'm gonna let him know tomorrow that he's wrong.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#7]
It is my understanding if you drive to the same place to work everyday, NO.  If you drive to different jobsites, such as a construction worker, YES.

From what some guy who does it told me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link to the IRS website supporting the statements above about only deducting mileage in excess of normal daily commute and only if you do not get reimbursed from your employer: LINK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top