Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2014 2:26:04 PM EDT
If they are out of the term/lapsed is one able to file a new patent? Further, is it against the law to use a very similar description, or does my description have to be totally new?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The invention covered by a "lapsed patent" is, by definition, in the public domain.

You can not patent an invention that is already in the public domain. It has become "prior art", which on its face is not patentable because it is not a new invention.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The invention covered by a "lapsed patent" is, by definition, in the public domain.

You can not patent an invention that is already in the public domain. It has become "prior art", which on its face is not patentable because it is not a new invention.

View Quote

Ok good to know. So if its public domain it is free to use?  I'm talking like 4+ years of being lapsed.

Or I could make it similar and add some additional functions and I could then patent that?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If you had some "novel" and "useful" additions to the previously-patented material that were not "obvious", then it is possible that you could patent those. But the whole world could still make or use the prior patented material without owing any royalties to anyone, and nobody could legally prevent them from doing so.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you had some "novel" and "useful" additions to the previously-patented material that were not "obvious", then it is possible that you could patent those. But the whole world could still make or use the prior patented material without owing any royalties to anyone, and nobody could legally prevent them from doing so.

View Quote

Interesting. So basically if you patent something and you do not keep up with the patent status, you are no longer able to sue for infringement?

Say I patented Item A. I let it lapse. After that point anyone can use the information.

I then come up with  Item B, it includes the functions of Item A, but then I also include "novel" functions not found in item A.

I am only able to sue for infringement, should someone decide to come up with their own version of the item, including the functions that are protected under Item B patent.

If they only decide to make Item A (from the lapsed patent) I am SOL?

Appreciate your time and responses.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]
That is my understanding.

BTW, I am not a patent attorney and do not work with patents for a living, but I did pass the USPTO patent bar exam way back in 1992 (and became a "registered patent agent"), although I let my registration lapse long ago.

A good book that explains all of this is "Patent it Yourself":

http://www.amazon.com/Patent-Yourself-Step---Step-Filing/dp/1413317197/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395621682&sr=1-1&keywords=patent+it+yourself

(A newer edition is scheduled to come out later this year - IIRC there have been some recent changes to US patent law, but a lot of the underlying concepts should still be valid if you refer to older editions of the book).

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 3:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Chromekilla-

You are pretty much right.  First, I assume you mean the patent has expired rather than lapsed for failure to pay a maintenance fee.  IF you do mean lapsed rather than expired, you generally can revive the patent so long as you are within 2 years after the initial time to pay the maintenance fee and it was unintentional.

Regarding your scenario, once the patent has expired, you can no longer sue for new infringements.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Chromekilla,

If you can get a patent on invention A+B, then that patent stands independent of the patent (lapsed, expired or otherwise) for invention A.  The trick is getting the patent for invention A+B.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Patents are not renewable.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top