Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2006 9:55:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Garand_Shooter]
Garand_Shooters Guide to how the Army Supply System Works

(And how to make it work for you!)

One of the biggest headaches when deployed is not getting what you need, and not understanding why. If you understand the system you can make it work for you.

All orders and requests start at your unit supply at whatever level has your DODAC, usually the company level.

[Note, for information on DODACS see: https://dodaac.wpafb.af.mil/]

An example of a DODAC is W91EB8

There are two primary classes of supply you will be concerned with, Class 2 is your normal supply items and class 9 is supposed to be repair parts, however many, many items that should be class 2 or class 9, and you can use this to your advantage. Class 2 is ordered by unit supply on the class 2 DODAC, class 9 is ordered by your maintenance section on the class 9 DODAC, although some maintenance DODACS are class 9 and limited class 2 (if your maintenance leaders are doing their job). I have gotten laser sights, tables, Oakley sunglasses, and much more class IX.

First, we will look at how the order happens and where it goes. I am making this the simple version, you QM guys don’t have a heart attack if I mess up a few details. The clerk first enters the order usually on ULLS S-4 or ULLS-G (Now SAMS-E), but it can still be done on the old style paper forms as well and this does happen on deployments.

The order will have the NSN and quantity, as well as a priority. Priority is usually 2, 5 or 12, with 2 getting there fastest but supposed to be reserved for deadline parts and emergency supplies. It will then be assigned a document number like this:

W91EB851240001

Broken Down that is:

W91EB8= requesting units DODAC

5124= Julian date of request, this was the 124th day of 2005

0001 is sequence number ordered that day, it can start at any point but will always start at that point each day…. For example if I start at 6000 every day my first order will end in 6000

That information goes to the SSA, or warehouse, that you are served by. They check to see if the item is in stock, if so it will be pulled and issued to your unit from the stock there. If not, the info is sent forward to a system that determines where it is and gets it to you.

Now, if all is well, this should get you what you need. But it is when all is not well that you need to do a little more work. The first thing you should do is ask your supply guy to look at his document register, and see if your item is on it. But in this modern era you can check without asking online using LOGSA www.logsa.army.mil. You have to request access but it is usually granted in 2-3 days at most and every NCO should know at least as much as I am telling you about using it. Now on Logsa  go to LIW, then Parts Tracker. Click on DODAC on the top, then enter your DODAC and the NIIN (the NSN minus the first 4 digits) and hit enter…. If it was ordered, you will see the document number, priority, quantity, and status. If not, you found your problem your supply never ordered it.

You can also just enter the DODAC and see EVERYTHING that was ordered under that DODAC.

Here is an example of what you will see, it makes it much easier to go through if you click document number at the top and then it will sort by document number, and by default by date.

You can see some status examples such as delivered, shipped, established package etc. If you click on the document number for one that shows shipped it will give you the Transportation Control Number and show you where that item is on its way to you, if it is delivered it will show day delivered etc. If delayed it will show an estimated ship date.

One other possibility it will show is “Backordered by Source of Supply”. What this usually indicates is your SSA has held your order and ordered your items under its DODAC and own document number (I won’t go into when or why this happens here). This is known as a rollover document number or RONDON. There are many ways to determine what a RONDON is, but here is the simplest way for what you need to do. Find the DODAC for your SSA and run it the same way as you ran your own with the NIIN. See where the SSA ordered the same item on the same day (or in rare cases next day)? That’s your RONDON, now track it just like you did the other numbers.

Now you know what you need to track your items. I have found that in 90-95% of cases it comes down to unit supply not ordering items, and most supply types will have a heart attack when you walk in and say “You were supposed to order this last week, here is a printout from LOGSA and there is no record so you need to follow up” because they get their power from being the only ones who understand the system. If it is ordered and the system is log jammed, find your local DLA rep and they will either fix it or tell you what’s up if it can't be fixed.

Now how to find items, you need FED-LOG. FED-LOG is a list of every single NSN and item in the Army inventory; with references going all the way back to WWII. You can search by manufacturer (represent by CAGE code), item name, NSN etc. make sure for your searches the little tank icon on top is clicked as that separates the Army data, otherwise you may dig up items that are only in the AF system or have to wade through a whole lot more to find what you need.

When you do a NSN search, here is the screen you will get if it is a current item (screens containing different items can be selected up top, included descriptions). The two important items are SCMC code, the first digit is the supply class (Remeber Class 2 and Class 9), in this case 9. The other is the ARC code that shows property accountability. In this case it is X for expendable, also D means durable (must be issued on hand receipt but is not property book), N means property book item (AKA you probably aren’t gonna get it on your own). Some crazy things are expendable out there!

So how do you get FED-LOG? It is available on LOGSA, and also comes out every month on a 5 disk set. Ask at the supply room or motorpool for an old copy and install on your hard drive (you have to copy all 5 CD’s to your HD, but trust me this is the only way to do it). LOGSA is ok when your stateside and have great internet access, but when deployed that last time you want to do is use it on slow systems where time is limited. While it comes out every month, I only update my personal copy every 6-7 months or so as little changes month to month.

When you get it, use the tutorial and play around with it, and if your having trouble ask someone familiar (The crusty old maintenance warrant in your battalion or your PBO are good people to ask). FED-LOG is a very powerful research tool! You can not only find the NSN you need, you know if you need to ask supply or maintenance to order it. And walking in with an NSN instead of just a name makes life easier for the guys ordering it for you.

Oh, and don’t hesitate to use Google too! Type in “HK magazine NSN” and you will find it faster than FED-LOG research, then use FED-LOG to verify your information is good.

Another great tool for more advanced users is www.logtool.nrt it is full of great links

For maintenance stuff go to www.themotorpool.org

If anyone needs help, anytime, with this stuff do not hesitate to ask. I plan to do this in a PowerPoint format soon so if anyone wants a copy let me know. I just wrote this quick and dirty tonight so I will be editing and tweaking it. Right now photobucket is making all my images too small.
Link Posted: 6/9/2006 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There's some really good stuff there, Garandman.  As a former BN S4, I definitely appreciated Warrant Officers with knowledge like yours that could help move the process along and tracked their own requests to ensure that what they needed got purchased.  Keep in mind though, that the Class IX and II requisitions are limited by the amount of money that your Battalion has to spend.  Good communication with those in the supply chain helps out a lot as well.  In our run-up to deployment to Afghan and Iraq for OEF 5 and OIF 2, I don't ever remember having to turn down any request that was reasonably justified.  Spending an hour or so with your BN S4 can enable you to tap into Unresourced Requirement funds that will get you those Class II goodies, and I was always amazed at how our maintenance Warrants could come up with tens of thousands of extra dollars through Class IX turn in credits.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2006 9:47:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: farfromhome] [#2]
When I was downrange I asked my supply sgt to order ammo puches for us. She let me browse some kind of online catalog and the pouches were there.

I asked her to order them but she said that she couldnt since they were GSA items. I saw boxes full of GSA stuff next to her desk

Not to mention all the other things I tried to get, HK mags included

Edited because my english is fubar.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
This Navy supply puke has access to the latest and greatest FEDLOG. IM me if you want a copy. Online substitute is WebFLIS. Works great for repairable stuff, of you know a good part #.

On shipping, a lot of stuff is shipped Fed-Ex, expecially stateside (don't know about deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan). You can search by Transportation Control Number, if you know it and the date your item was shipped.
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:55:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah- FedLog. My best friend when I was my squadron S-4.  Ahh the memories.
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By svtfast:

Not to mention all the other things I tried to get, HK mags included

[angel]

What??  What are those?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a master list or a link for the DODAC (ammo codes).  This is one of those things I never have when I need it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#7]
bump for newbs!
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#8]
What happened to the "useful NSN's" topic from a while back?
Link Posted: 3/10/2008 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget DOD E-Mall
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 12:48:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Don_S] [#10]
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 4:04:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By sharkman6:
Do you have a master list or a link for the DODAC (ammo codes).  This is one of those things I never have when I need it.

Do you mean DODIC?  Go to https://www3.dac.army.mil and look for the "Yellow Book"
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#12]
DODAC.  The Department of Defense Ammuntion Code, made up of the  FSC (Federal Supply Class) and the DODIC .  DODAC is often confused with DODAAC, (Department of Defense Activity Address Code).   The yellow book is online at https://www3.dac.army.mil/AV/R14Combined.pdf.  (CAC Login required)
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 10:18:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: holdorf333] [#13]
Originally Posted By sphayes73:
DODAC.  The Department of Defense Ammuntion Code, made up of the  FSC (Federal Supply Class) and the DODIC .  DODAC is often confused with DODAAC, (Department of Defense Activity Address Code).   The yellow book is online at https://www3.dac.army.mil/AV/R14Combined.pdf.  (CAC Login required)

Nope, ammo "codes"are DODICs; standard language for ordnance soldiers. What ya'll call M885, I call A059.
Link Posted: 4/28/2010 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope, DODAC, and DODIC, and DODDAC are three seperate things. A DODAC contains the DODIC with the addtion of FSC code. The DODAC for A059 is 13050-A059. DODACs are rarely used and lots of people don't even know they exist.  ASP's like to use them to reduce errors as some DODICs have other meanings with in the supply system or may vary by service.  Ammuntion  identification is covered in  FM 4-30.13 Apendix F.   General knowledge for a 91A.
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Nope again Kemo Sabe.  In the name of semantics, a "list of ammo codes" is the JSAC, or the Joint Service Ammo Catalog, which does not catigorize ammo by DODAC, rather by DODIC.  The Yellow Book  does not track ammo by DODAC either, nor does the CAPULDI.  It's not that 89-series don't know what a DODAC is; modern ammunition management just RARELY uses them.  Ammo is cataloged by DODIC, the further broken down by NIIN from there, and so on.  Ammocheif had it right the first time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 1:57:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for taking the time to post this.,,,,I could of used this 9months ago it would of made my life so much easier....I am passing it on to my replacement.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're in the Army, and you deal with logistics... get an LIW ACCOUNT!  https://liw.logsa.army.mil
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#18]
ARC code determines the level at which accountability is maintained. "N" is accountable at the PBO level. "D" is accountable at the BN S4 level. That means that they keep the shortage annexes and you can't hide that.

A company commander can order "X" for expendable rather easily.

What separates a D from an X? An expendable item is consumed in use. That is why there are cables that cost $50,000 that are X Class IX.

Also note, most people can't separate sensitive items form high dollar items. They are different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top