Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I brought extra 30 round mags with magpul springs with Gray followers, Beretta 9mm factory mags & 2 sets of S&W handcuffs.. To my chargrin, you cannot get these items through customs when it is t ime to RIP out of here!!! So some lucky replacement will get my stuff at a discount!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Anybody been to Al Asad in the last year and a half?

Smoke grenades:  Always had two, and one of those 2 was always red so if we recieved friendly fire we could pop red and hopefully stop it.  Always had a purple smoke taped to the outside of med bags for medevacs.  Yellow and white smoke is hard to see.  Red and Purple is easy to see.

The Dump:  We had to go burn all the trash at the dump one day.  You'd be amazed at what was there:  unit SOPs, files with SSNs, peoples mail with home addresses and gear gear gear.  We scrounged up all sorts of gear and what we didn't use we gave to the Iraqi army and won some loyalty points. Also:  the third country nationals and iraqi civilians raid the dumps, so unless you want your anybody to have your parents home address, burn mail when you are done with it.

Gloves:  Wear gloves, and wear gloves that are flash proof.  Its hard to pull your buddy out of a burning track when your hands are on fire.  Have a couple pairs cause they will wear out.  Leather gloves are shitty for patrol, but can't be beat when handling barbed wire or filling sandbags.

Harded your FOB:  Sandbags and hescos save lives.  If they don't save your live, they may save the lives of the guys who rotate in after you leave.  

Computer and Printer:  If you are a leader, these are worth their weight in gold.  If you have a printer that can print photos... That is so handy I can't even explain it.  For a laptop, awards for your people and after actions don't write themselves.

Comm training:  If people aren't comfortable on the radio before you leave for Iraq, that is bad to say the least.  Also, Pre-deployment training universally sucks.  The guys teaching all the predeployment crap are all to often people who found a way to get out of deploying.  They often don't know anything and are more concerned with getting home at 1600 than teaching.  Find NCOs and SNCOs and junior officers who have been over and really care and know what they are doing.  They are usually your best source of trainers.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a lot of good info mentioned here but what I want to add is language training. I cannot over emphasize how useful it is to be able to talk with, get info, give orders/directions to the locals and IZ/ANA forces. It is one of the most powerful weapons you have and can even help you to not have to use your weapon. Pre-deployment training on key phrases and possible more for leaders is invaluable when you want to get some intel or even monitor the local friendly forces to see if they are BS’ing you about stuff.
Having a cheat card of phrases in your pocket is also useful. Plus it helps by showing you are at least trying to build understanding with and about their culture and that can make the difference if they tell you there is an IED buried around the corner or not.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#4]
For those of you considering what kind of knife to take with you, I suggest one of the many M14/ M16 series knives by CRKT. I have the M16-14ZSF, which I bought at our Haji Mart for $20.00, and it is the best of both worlds; It's got the convenience and pack-ability of a folder, but the heft, strength and cutting power of a small fixed blade. I have chopped down trees up to 4" in diameter with this knife to make tent poles, and it works as well as my much larger Ka-Bar, but without the weight or bulk. It will take a shaving sharp edge and keep it with just a few strokes on a DMT or Lansky folding diamond hone, and I use it for everything.

The big knives like the Ka-Bar are nice, but you will rarely, if ever need them for anything except scaring the hajis(For some reason, the people in our AO were deathly afraid of big knives).
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:55:55 AM EDT
[#5]
senior leaders, please stop dumping all the tasks on us junior ncos because you know well get the job done and you cant trust that fuckstick e7 or e8. stop being a fucking pussy and jump inside that guys ass and MAKE HIM DO HIS FUCKING JOB! im sick of getting stuck with shit well above my grade becasue "youre reliable and i cant trust SFC so-and-so to do it" FUCK!

ok sorry, rant off................anyone else know what i mean?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:01:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: plarkinjr] [#6]

Originally Posted By CAsoldier:
senior leaders, please stop dumping all the tasks on us junior ncos because you know well get the job done and you cant trust that fuckstick e7 or e8. stop being a fucking pussy and jump inside that guys ass and MAKE HIM DO HIS FUCKING JOB! im sick of getting stuck with shit well above my grade becasue "youre reliable and i cant trust SFC so-and-so to do it" FUCK!

As a civilian, I totally know what you mean.... no E7s, NCOs or SFCs.... but plenty of weak-ass Directors and VPs who pass off shit-detail to LineManagers, or let stuff go entirely until "the guys in the trenches" are mostly lazy slackers.

BTW - Thank you for your service!!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By plarkinjr:

As a civilian, I totally know what you mean.... no E7s, NCOs or SFCs.... but plenty of weak-ass Directors and VPs who pass off shit-detail to LineManagers, or let stuff go entirely until "the guys in the trenches" are mostly lazy slackers.

BTW - Thank you for your service!!!!

How the fuck do you think (some of) these fucktards get to where they are today? By hanging it out there, hurting others' feelings and MAKING shit happen????

You guys go to sleep tonight knowing you (we) make a difference and MAKE shit happen. Despite the fucktards.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER:
If you wear glasses, take 2 sets of clear lenses and 2 sets of tinted lenses. They will only last about 6 months before they are sandblasted too much to see out of. If you are getting military birth control glasses, get the smallest frame that will fit your head. My issue glasses are so large, they interfear with my helmet.

your supply can get them for the govt. issue Oakley M frame lenses as well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 6:23:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 18Bravo] [#9]

Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER:
If you get bored, go find the SF 18B guys. They can talk intelligently about guns and they have cool toys. Maybe even extra KAC stuff.

Hell, half of us came in before a lot of these guys were born.  My beret is older than one of the guys on our team. They coming out of the Q course smarter than ever, but here are a few tips from an old timer. (I went to the Q course in 1982)

Most of the good information has already been posted.  I have different feelings about a few of the things. It does not make my way right - just different.

8-12 mags?  In Afghanistan, I carried 10 x M4 plus 5 x M9. Things were different then.  I rode the back of a Tacoma, and mobility wasn't much of an issue.

Here in Iraq, I carry four on my kit and one in my M4.  There should be no need to load yourself down with extra kit. Especially if you're a door kicker.  Keep all of your extra mags, grenades, and other crap in your go bag. If you really need it, you can always get it. The more gear you add to your IBA, the harder it is to get out of your vehicle.  If you are the up gunner, you need tp be as slim as possible, in case you need to get down in the vehicle. We have even taken the cushions out of most of our HMWVV's, just because of all of the crap we do have to carry.
And speaking of being the up gunner - the whole name tape defilade thing...
We ride even higher than that most of the time.  The up gunner is the eyes and ears for the vehicle.  Better to lose one guy (and I am almost always that guy, so I can say that) than the whole vehicle.  Look where you're going and communicate with the driver.  If you do see anything hinky, yes, you can get down. There's no shame there.  That said, an EFP is more likely to take out your legs anyway.  They aim them at the crew compartment, not you.
Conventional units around here also have those "anti-sniper" nests on their turrets. We do not.  How you can have situation awareness under that cocoon is beyind me.  Hell, the two M1151's we have don't even have the glass on the turrets, and they're five inches lower than the ones with the glass. We just don't use it.  In '73, IDF tank commanders rode high in the cupola so they could see what the hell was going on.  Yeah, they had a pretty high casualty rate, but they were also the best tank fighters in the world at that time.

I also had a drop leg holster in Afghanistan. Loved it.  Now I have the Serpa on the front of my chest.  I can't get to a thigh rig sitting in a HMWVV, and yes, there may be a time or two when you would need your pistol in the vehicle.  Even an M4 is hard to maneuver around quickly in the confines of your vehicle.
Whichever holster you use is up to you, as long as you practice your transition drills. Most of what makes us good shooters is not range time, it's dry firing. Practice with your pistol (dry) any chance you get.  And anyone can keyhole shots with an M9 on single action all day long.  Practice your double action shot from the draw. That's the most important one. Sometimes I'll go outside and run throught four or five mags just on double action.
Lanyards-coiled or not, what do you really need them for?  If you've got a good holster with a positive retension system. the lanyard is just something else to get hung up on. The other 18B on my team also says you never know when it might get in the way doing a mag change.  Personally, I think if you're doing it correctly, it shouldn't be an issue. But why take the chance?  When people are actually shooting back, are you going to do everything correctly?
Drop pouches are also a matter of preference. To me, it's another piece of equipment to get hung up on.  I have had to make tactical mag changes, and the extra half second it takes to drop the mag in my cargo pocket does not detract from what we are doing. My partner simply drops his, and collects them later.
On ditching the two point sling-nothing wrong with them at all.  I have a three point I built myself using instructions from this very site. But I usually use it as a two point. The key is getting the side mounted sling swivel installed. And practicing up drills with whichever sling you have.  
There's a recurring theme here - it's not what you have so much that matters as how familiar you are with it. Where it is, how it feels to you, whether or not you can manipulate it at night, whether or not you CAN ACTUALLY FIGHT WITH IT.
My two cents, for what it's worth.

Link Posted: 3/10/2008 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]
if you have not done drills, and made an action reflexive, totally muscle memory, and able to execute without any deliberate thought whatsoever, DO NOT expect to be able to do it in combat. You can make any plans you want to make, but unless they are simple, can be drawn in crayon, and you practice them until you can do them in your sleep, they are totally useless.

I'm one of the most well composed people I know (something Ive had to work on, I used to be one of the most hot headed people I know). the first time I ever got shot at I forgot how to make my new turret turn (tried to do it like my old one) forgot how to take make my weapon work (I'd gone from a 240 to a .50, not trained up properly) transitioned to M4 (thankfully Id trained to do that), one mag later fumbled reloading my M4, after remembering how to make the turret and .50 work, took more than a minute to reload the .50, and left my M4 loaded and off safe for half an hour. in other words, I freaked the fuck out and anything that wasnt second nature turned into rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 3/27/2008 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#11]
For stuff you take:

Take pictures of what you carry over, label it: what it is, where you got it, how much it costs.  If you have to replace gear, your support system (wife, family, whoever) will know what you're talking about.  

Otherwise, they might send you the wrong size of the wrong shooting gloves or some money and time-wasting shit like that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 2:43:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Zip tyes, Zip tyes, zip tyes!

Better than handcuffs, lighter and expendable, more uses too.

If you are or think you'll be a des. marksmen you may want to bring some extra 308 mags.  They are always hard to come by in theater.  But be careful what you bring.  The Army's M110 and the Navy's MK11/SR-25 use the Stoner mags, but there are Armalites floating around out there so you may get stuck trying to convert M-14 mags.  Most DM are getting 5.56s anyway though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#14]
one proverb : "Build spank shack of great strength so tent mate no walk in on you making babies in the hand!"
Link Posted: 8/11/2008 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By Sylvan:

Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:
if you have not done drills, and made an action reflexive, totally muscle memory, and able to execute without any deliberate thought whatsoever, DO NOT expect to be able to do it in combat. You can make any plans you want to make, but unless they are simple, can be drawn in crayon, and you practice them until you can do them in your sleep, they are totally useless.

I'm one of the most well composed people I know (something Ive had to work on, I used to be one of the most hot headed people I know). the first time I ever got shot at I forgot how to make my new turret turn (tried to do it like my old one) forgot how to take make my weapon work (I'd gone from a 240 to a .50, not trained up properly) transitioned to M4 (thankfully Id trained to do that), one mag later fumbled reloading my M4, after remembering how to make the turret and .50 work, took more than a minute to reload the .50, and left my M4 loaded and off safe for half an hour. in other words, I freaked the fuck out and anything that wasnt second nature turned into rocket surgery.

LOL
First time I got shot at i spazzed the fuck out.  E-5 had to remind me to take cover.

+1  My squad leader said i looked like an excited frog looking for something to shoot.  "get the FUCK down you idiiot!" reminded me that cover is a better place to return fire from than the middle of a street.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Just reading all of the little things that you guys have to deal with makes me even more grateful for all that you guys do. I'm hoping to get a USMC commission when I finish law school. Keep up all the good work, and come back home safely.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Airborne2000:
one proverb : "Build spank shack of great strength so tent mate no walk in on you making babies in the hand!"

Holy crap.... You made me cry.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I start my first deployment in two days and much of this information is very good.

Specifically Il'l be doing convoys, any advise related to that?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#19]

What tasks did you have in mind, exactly? Part of my job as an E7 is to delegate responsibility. I have enough on my plate without thinking that one of my junior NCOs is mad at being given some jobs to do.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#20]
Originally Posted By Tested:
I start my first deployment in two days and much of this information is very good.

Specifically Il'l be doing convoys, any advice related to that?

Look for changes in your environment, don't get complacent.

Easier said than done.  

Godspeed.

ETA: Some tools for your toolbox.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

What tasks did you have in mind, exactly? Part of my job as an E7 is to delegate responsibility. I have enough on my plate without thinking that one of my junior NCOs is mad at being given some jobs to do.

Examples include but are not limited to:

-attending meetings and presenting slides/taking notes why said NCO is working out in the gym, then presenting them to him/her
-specificly being named and listed as a pay agent despite not being an E6 or having completed the training
-preparing multiday conops
-performing monthly inventory, monthly and turning into said NCO for his/her approval
-trying to dispatch/PMCS vehicle without supervision or help
-sent to get signatures from fieldgrade officers who blow off lower enlisted
-yelling at soldier for failure to get signature then getting the signature him/herself and saying it wasnt that hard
-sponsoring and taking care of interpreters

shit like that. i know senior NCOs do a lot, im not griping about doing my job, im griping about doing mine, and theirs. too many soldiers use their position to escapte. dont hide behind your rank people.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#22]
"Train as you fight" is the new Army catch prase for "Wes gonna do retardid shit"

I am not really 6'5" and 250lbs and should where my kit excatly like the guy who is half my size because it's SOP and we "train as we fight"

I'm a SQDLDR and therefore should carry twice the ammo as any one of my SQD members, yet am called out for "mag dumping during a near ambush"

I am not to use or wear the gear I was issued the way the instructions say or I was taught because it goes against SOP.

I am told to "train as I fight", but only when I get to Iraq...

I'm throwing this out here for two reasons...  1st I really need to vent today...  2nd, As an NCO I hope to lesson the stupidity by informing my peers, who will also say that something is fucked up so our Joes can get some real training and not some check the box bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Undoubtedly a stupid question... but if you buy something while deployed can you bring it back with you?  Like if you buy optics or rucks and such?
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Edvvard:
Undoubtedly a stupid question... but if you buy something while deployed can you bring it back with you?  Like if you buy optics or rucks and such?

It all depends on how stringent customs is on the way out. They may be pretty strict with optics (specifically weapons scopes & such), so they may need to go with your unit's equipment connex.

Gear, it shouldn't matter. They are usually cool with gear, as long as it doesn't look "battlefield pick-up" (read: have a reciept).

We once had our knives confiscated by customs at Bagram, out of our checked baggage.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:37:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmaNotSoLite] [#25]
I wear glasses, so here's a big tip for ya: The Army does not give a rip if you don't have prescription sunglasses. Buy your own. Buy two pairs. You will break some.  Spend the extra scratch and get the ones that tint automatically. They give you just enough so that you don't go sun blind, but are light enough that the tint goes away fairly fast, and you can still see if you go inside.

I liked the Oakley shooting gloves I was issued, but they didn't last long. Get many pairs of gloves. I went through 10 pairs in 16 months. Blood and such really smell bad after a few days of rotting on the ones you have. Seemed like I would get a fresh pair, only to end up picking through SVBIED body parts and ruining yet another pair of gloves.

A G-Shock watch will get through just about anything.

Get a good sling. And Carabiners too. Those fuckers are just plain handy.

The best all purpose knife I have ever owned was an Applegate Combat folder. Not too long, but big enough and strong enough to lever open locked cabinets, during cordon and searches. I have owned quite a few knives, but once I won that Applegate (Poker game) I never owned another.

Bring an extra pair of desert boots. I only got issued one pair by RFI, and I wear an odd size. Our supply sergeant sent around forms so that we could list our boot sizes, so he could order more boots. We all filled them out and sent them back. He basically used the forms for toilet paper and ordered whatever the fuck he wanted to. Therefore, I ran around Iraq for 16 months in the same boots. They looked like hell, and they smelled worse. Raw sewage puddles were commonplace in Baghdad and Mosul. Step in one of those puddles ( Or worse, fall in. I actually know a guy that was almost completely submerged in one.) and you will know it.

Buy foot powder. Economy sizes. Whoever shares a CHU or connex with you will thank you. We had one guy that had feet bad enough to clear out the whole connex. Outside the wire, it reeks like a garbage dump. Do your buddies a favor and don't bring it inside with you.

Don't bother with all the aftermarket bullshit that you can strap onto your rifle. You don't need a muzzle brake, aftermarket stock, hydraulic buffer, etc. Your rifle is a tool. It was built to kill, and it does just fine unmodified. Just keep it clean. Besides, all that money you just spent tricking out your rifle could be better spent on beer and hookers when you get home.

Try to score extra NVD mounts. Not the rhino mount, the plate that mounts onto the kevlar.The one the Army issues you sucks. They break on the regular. Mine broke while we were in transit TO Iraq. Try to snag 3 or 4 of them.

I don't know if the ACU has been improved since I wore them, but if they haven't and crotches and asses are still blowing out all the time, bring lots of ACU bottoms. Iraq is much harder on bottoms than on tops.

I wore a camelbak on patrol for about a month. Then one day when I was climbing over a 10 foot wall, the strap on my camelbak bound up on my arm, and I fell 10 feet onto my back in full gear. I almost broke my head open, and I never wore a hydration system again. If you do decide to get one, get one of the Molle ones that strap directly to your back, without straps.

If you are a Squad Leader, no matter how much you despise the Fobbit motherfuckers in supply, kiss their asses. Kiss them long, and kiss them hard. Your squad will appreciate getting the new shit as soon as it becomes available. My SL was excellent at this. When Supply got in a new shipment of the black lightweight polypros, there was only one squad in my entire company where everyone got an entire set. Thanks SSG. C.

Multi-tools are sometimes handy. I only used mine a few times, because I had an awesome knife. Generally mine was stolen, also. Which maybe accounted for it's low usage. None of my buddies were thieves. Remember, there is only one thief in the Army. Everyone else is just trying to get their shit back.

Also, a word on magazines. If you have the cash, buy good steel mags with the good followers. H&K's are nice. Prepare for them to be stolen. And don't bang them on your brain bucket to seat the rounds, like a moron. Just hit them on the palm of your hand. Does the same job, and won't deform your cheap ass GI mags. I had a friend that always banged his on his kevlar, and after a 6 months or so, they wouldn't drop free of the mag well anymore. He had to pull them out. And slam them in to seat them. It's irritating while being ambushed, and possibly fatal. Leave that shit to "Saving Private Ryan".

Another good item of clothing is Dri-Fire undershirts. I'm not sure what the policy is in theatre now, but when I was there, UnderArmour wasn't allowed. That was because it was apparently melting to motherfuckers. I consider this a bad thing. Dri Fire costs the same money, but is fire retardent and looks exactly like a normal undershirt. It also has the same cooling properties of UnderArmour, along with it's anti-stink technology, plus it never stretches out of shape. There was always some asshole in sparkling clean ACU's, with no wear on his boots and an M-9 in shoulder holster that was likewise sparkling clean. He had been outside the wire exactly once, on his way to the FOB from the airfield. He would self righteously inform you that UnderArmour was not authorized anymore, and that you were in violation of the dress code. Feeling that his duty to inform the ignorant ground pounders (Because they obviously can't read. They are Infantry, after all!) was complete, he would march to the chow hall and ND his M-9 into the clearing barrel (His daily routine. How else would he know the chamber was empty if he didn't crack one off?) and proceed on with his Fobbit lifestyle. Get Dri-Fire. It's easier on your blood pressure, and on the fucking POG's that you would ordinarily kill, for being jack offs.

Hopefully that helps some people. Most of that stuff I learned from being extremely uncomfortable/sucking. Try not to redo the garbage i did.  And the last thought I have is that you should develop a good whacking off strategy. I was lucky enough to get to live in a 2 man CHU for 6 months. Always position a wall locker between the two beds for covert midnight whacking. Take turns in the daytime. I used to stand guard outside in my folding chair and smoke while my buddy took care of business. He did the same for me. It led to a much more relaxed hootch life.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Bring cash (it's not available in a lot of places any more)
Good attitude makes up for a LOT  Embrace the Suck, cause it's not going anywhere and neither are you.
Be patient.  (Yeah.  Right...)
Never trust a hadji.  No.  Seriously.  I give a shit if he's been outside the wire with you or how well you think you know him.  Never turn your effing back on one without somebody watching him.  (bitter experience talking).
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Darkstar117:
Originally Posted By Edvvard:

It all depends on how stringent customs is on the way out. They may be pretty strict with optics (specifically weapons scopes & such), so they may need to go with your unit's equipment connex.

Gear, it shouldn't matter. They are usually cool with gear, as long as it doesn't look "battlefield pick-up" (read: have a reciept).

We once had our knives confiscated by customs at Bagram, out of our checked baggage.

Check with your local Post Office for a current list of the un-mailable.  They should have it posted.  Don't push em on stuff because they tend to be hardasses with  no flexibility.  Don't take anything with you that you can't stand to lose.  The list seems to change a lot down here.  Weapon parts are hard to guage.  I'd plan to take optics back with your baggage rather than try to ship em but if they say they'll take it drive on!  Check before showing up for the inspection.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#28]
heres my Afghan deployment list:

cheap water/shockproof camera (newegg has them pretty cheap)

Nalgene bottle,

good sling (I use the VCAS 2pt),

an ipod with AA/AAA external power source,

"tourniquet now" CAT holders,

small knee pads (the RFI ones are huge and super hot),

plenty of extra gloves,

good headlamp,

roll-up dump pouch,

garmin foretrex

set of single bed sized dark colored sheets

anti-fog for your eyepro,

power strip with long cord,

small travel microfiber towel,

IR flashlight if you arent issued one,

several small AA/AAA flashlights

small clip-on pack like kifaru E&E or Tactical tailor operator (these wont cut off your shoulder circulation since they clip to your body armor, and can be clipped to your ruck as well.)

zip-loc bags in quart and gallon sizes

thin and thick neck gaiter

measuring tape, a couple boxes of screws and nails, hammer, screwdriver set (I would bring a drill/saw if your immediate element doesnt have one)

locking hasps and hinges

mine probe

extra laundry bag

Spice wheel (several types of spices in a small case)

no rinse shampoo

hotel size soap and shampoos

small solar shower

extra poncho liners

extra watch bands

travel mirror

baby bottle brushes to clean nalgene and bowls

timex 1117 alarm clock (compact, takes AAA's and has lasted 7 months without making a dent in battery life)

multiple flash memory reader (USB)

Monster cable makes a compact power strip call "outlets to go" that also has USB plug ins (works well in MRAPs)

32gb Flash drive with unclass TM's, FM's, DA forms and a password protected folder with personal documents, I also keep a cheap 8gb thumb drive to pass off to people to get movies and music

if you end up somewhere semi-permanent yet out in the sticks a hotplate and a couple bowls/pots can be very useful

out on ops i use an esbit stove and metal camping mug to make coffee in the morning

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 2:48:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Get your medical stuff up to date before you leave.
Don't believe the SRP site when they say "Oh, you can do it downrange."  Yeah, you probably can, but it's a HUGE pain in the ass.  Do you really think we stock enough medications to outfit your entire platoon at the same time?  seriously, go look at your role 1.  A wall locker is a pharmacy.  Make time to get your shit squared away.

so get your malaria pills and whatever chronic meds you need.  Get your damned vaccines.

No, you won't get a PHA in theater, so if you come up "red," don't sweat it.

If you want to apply to a school (ie, Ranger or Airbornes) after your tour, do what you can to get the medical out of the way in the states.  Our aid station won't do those types of physicals at all, since we can't do the proper labs in theater.  The other option is to try and get that done on R&R.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Baby wipes.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#31]
TL/DNR past page one.  

Some stuff has changed since 2001, ie more permanent sites, better supply chain in some areas.  I'll try to stick to things that haven't changed.

If you are primarily dismounted:
- Boots: get the most comfortable pair you can find, and if you are in Afghanistan, the ones that have good ankle support
- Knee pads: as said, RFI kneepads suck ass.  Get some with an open back so you don't die of heat stroke.
- Gloves: anything is better than the Nomex shit they give you.  Blackhawk Firestorm gloves are alright.  If you are outside the wire a lot, you will go through a pair ever couple of months with hard use.  Be advised.
- Sling: I prefer two point slings, others like the 1 or 3 points.  It's up to you, but let me just say that one points are a pain when walking around the FOB.  
- Knife: you're probably not going to be in a knife fight.  Get a good folder that you can open with one hand.
- Multitool: Gerber all the way
- Water source: bottles are easier to fill and clean, but on a hump, camelbaks are better.  Get some of the cleaning tabs and use them once in a while
- Medical stuff:  seatbelt cutter, great for cutting clothes off too (run it up the sleeves and or legs).  Also, more torniquets.  Everyone should have at least two on their person.

MWR:
- Crystal Light or flavored water powders.  Bottled water gets old after a while
- Computer: movies, music, games, etc.
- Jolly Ranchers: keeps you sane
- Coffee: get someone to mail you beans, a grinder, get a french press and a water heater.  Army coffee sucks ass.  DD or SB is heaven.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 1:30:09 AM EDT
[#32]
*frantically taking notes*

Good stuff, guys!
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 11:57:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: highrailjon] [#33]
Don't eat the turkey burgers at the Taji DFAC. You will suffer.
Expect an AFPT in a combat zone because your CO is concerned with your well being.
Don't expect a cold REAL beer after putting in a hard 14 hour day because after all you're in a combat zone.
Never trust your battle buddy with anything you want to remain a secret.
Whoever said that combat operations have offically ceased in Iraq needs to get the enemy the memo.
Steer clear of the company "clique". They need each other to pump up their hollow ego's, and you to do their jobs for them.
Trust the superior that actually leads by example.
The "thousand yard stare" actually keeps assholes from bothering you.
Pray you don't get stuck in the same CHU with an S1 type that wears a bayonet and a 400.00 fighting axe. It's not going to end well for you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 5:49:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3XIraqvet] [#34]
In addition to the lists others have posted, and I apologize if I've duplicated some:

-IR and blue lens flash light.  Blue lets you see blood, red doesn't.
-If you have to have the CAT tourniquet pack one in your IFAK/blow out kit and at least two on the outside of your vest/PC.  You want them obvious if your buddies have to apply.  If you can, get the SOF tourniquet.  It has a steel windlass that won't break.  CATs have been known to break.  That's bad.  
-Put extra quick clot and pressure bandages in the lower pockets of your trousers and mark the flaps with a black cross to let folks know what' s inside, same as your IFAK.  Why black?  Because you can't see red w/ a red lens light or w/ NVGs.  
-Bring an extra helmet mount and Rhino if you're using PVS 14s.  The ACH mount breaks sometimes and Rhinos get bent if you land on them/bump them in an MRAP
-Bring extra eye pro and extra lenses.  Wear it all the time, even at night, never take it off unless you're sleeping.  Seeing clearly is worth the cost.  Bring lens cloths and lens cleaner.
-ESS NVG or Advancer goggles, must have, even if you're dismounted.  They weigh next to nothing and when you need them you really need them.
-Ditch the Under armor.  While moisture wicking they will melt to your skin if you hit something hot.  Several companies make good flame proof skivvies/t-shirts.  I use Potomac Field Gear.  They also make a padded FROG combat shirt which definitely helps with the load and keeps you a bit cooler.
-Put your IR tags on.  They work.  You don't need flags, just squares.  Front, back, sides and top.
-Get an OpsCore chinstrap for your helmet, much more stable than the issue chin strap, especially with NVGs
-Blood type patches.  If it makes you warm and fuzzy, go ahead and wear them but unless you're in a unit that's going to carry it or get you to their own supply, don't worry about it.  You're not going to get your blood type until they get you on the table and by then they've already typed you or plugged you in to O Pos.
-Get good socks, lots of them.  You will walk a lot and even if you don't, the laundry will lose them anyway.
-Wear gloves, wear them all the time.  Your hands will get cut and then you'll get infected/sick if you don't.  Once you've shaken hands with the locals (take your glove off for that), douse w/ hand sanitizer and put them back on.
-Afghanistan has some high altitudes, bring sunblock.  You get burned faster here, especially on the malaria meds.
-Bring some compact medium power binos.  The ACOG is only 4 power and there are some long distances here.  Plus, it's not always a good thing to point your weapon at something just to look at it through the scope.  
-Learn some of the language, especially the military phrases.  
-This is going to sound stupid, but carry a map for the area and put it with your blood chit in one of your sleeve pockets.  Batteries die and a broken GPS is a brick put a torn map is still a map.  You'd be suprised how many folks go out with just a GPS and no map, especailly units/folks w/ Garmin Etrex and 60's.
-Wearing  your old cammies/boots/gear from last deployment is not cool.  Don't worry about looking "salty" or experienced.  That will show the moment the first round goes down range.  If you wore it on the last tour and you've been issued a replacement since then USE THE NEW GEAR.  New gear will last longer than your old stuff will and new camoflage blends better than old stuff.  It's hard to replace gear in country unless you're near a BIG base with a CIF (think BAF and KAF).
-Wear your side plates!  I have seen them save lives and I have seen lives lost that they could have prevented.
-Go over your gear with your buddies.  They should know where everything is on you and vice-versa.  IFAK, ammo, comms, pyro, frag, nav, ID.
-Shoot every chance you get, especially in country.  Check your zero for all of your optics and your lasers.  Practise using your backup iron sight (GET ONE).  Practise shooting with your NVGs.  Practise unknown distance firing and practise reloading.  These skills atrophy, even if you're stomping around in the boonies every day.  If you haven't done it in the past couple of weeks then you've gotten out of practise and slower.  Do it again!
-Put your IFAK where YOU can get to it.  Remember SELF AID!  I see too many folks who ought to know better walkinig around with them on their backs or way back on the side.  Can you get to it with one hand missing lying in a pile of your own goo? If you have to take off your vest/PC or bend/turn to get to your IFAK then it's too far away. If you're counting on your buddy to get to your IFAK then you'v'e taken him out of the fight.  Don't make him have to choose between your life and his.  Control your own bleeding if you can and let him conentrate on putting rounds downrange.
-Know where all of your gear is on your body.  You should be able to switch channels, push to talk, get your IFAK, reload, etc. without looking.  If you have to look at your gear to use it or hunt for it consider this:  you have the rest of your life to figure it out.  How fast you figure it out may determine how much longer your life is.
-Be respectful and friendly to the locals but do NOT trust them, supervise and verify.  There are some folks here who will try to be your best buddy.  Smile, joke with him, but never forget that you may have to kill him and all of his brothers and cousins one day. Plan for it.  The odds are that he has already planned to kill you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 1:09:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ljh824] [#35]
Originally Posted By 3XIraqvet:
In addition to the lists others have posted, and I apologize if I've duplicated some:

-IR and blue lens flash light.  Blue lets you see blood, red doesn't.
-If you have to have the CAT tourniquet pack one in your IFAK/blow out kit and at least two on the outside of your vest/PC.  You want them obvious if your buddies have to apply.  If you can, get the SOF tourniquet.  It has a steel windlass that won't break.  CATs have been known to break.  That's bad.  
-Put extra quick clot and pressure bandages in the lower pockets of your trousers and mark the flaps with a black cross to let folks know what' s inside, same as your IFAK.  Why black?  Because you can't see red w/ a red lens light or w/ NVGs.  
-Bring an extra helmet mount and Rhino if you're using PVS 14s.  The ACH mount breaks sometimes and Rhinos get bent if you land on them/bump them in an MRAP
-Bring extra eye pro and extra lenses.  Wear it all the time, even at night, never take it off unless you're sleeping.  Seeing clearly is worth the cost.  Bring lens cloths and lens cleaner.
-ESS NVG or Advancer goggles, must have, even if you're dismounted.  They weigh next to nothing and when you need them you really need them.
-Ditch the Under armor.  While moisture wicking they will melt to your skin if you hit something hot.  Several companies make good flame proof skivvies/t-shirts.  I use Potomac Field Gear.  They also make a padded FROG combat shirt which definitely helps with the load and keeps you a bit cooler.
-Put your IR tags on.  They work.  You don't need flags, just squares.  Front, back, sides and top.
-Get an OpsCore chinstrap for your helmet, much more stable than the issue chin strap, especially with NVGs
-Blood type patches.  If it makes you warm and fuzzy, go ahead and wear them but unless you're in a unit that's going to carry it or get you to their own supply, don't worry about it.  You're not going to get your blood type until they get you on the table and by then they've already typed you or plugged you in to O Pos.
-Get good socks, lots of them.  You will walk a lot and even if you don't, the laundry will lose them anyway.
-Wear gloves, wear them all the time.  Your hands will get cut and then you'll get infected/sick if you don't.  Once you've shaken hands with the locals (take your glove off for that), douse w/ hand sanitizer and put them back on.
-Afghanistan has some high altitudes, bring sunblock.  You get burned faster here, especially on the malaria meds.
-Bring some compact medium power binos.  The ACOG is only 4 power and there are some long distances here.  Plus, it's not always a good thing to point your weapon at something just to look at it through the scope.  
-Learn some of the language, especially the military phrases.  
-This is going to sound stupid, but carry a map for the area and put it with your blood chit in one of your sleeve pockets.  Batteries die and a broken GPS is a brick put a torn map is still a map.  You'd be suprised how many folks go out with just a GPS and no map, especailly units/folks w/ Garmin Etrex and 60's.
-Wearing  your old cammies/boots/gear from last deployment is not cool.  Don't worry about looking "salty" or experienced.  That will show the moment the first round goes down range.  If you wore it on the last tour and you've been issued a replacement since then USE THE NEW GEAR.  New gear will last longer than your old stuff will and new camoflage blends better than old stuff.  It's hard to replace gear in country unless you're near a BIG base with a CIF (think BAF and KAF).
-Wear your side plates!  I have seen them save lives and I have seen lives lost that they could have prevented.
-Go over your gear with your buddies.  They should know where everything is on you and vice-versa.  IFAK, ammo, comms, pyro, frag, nav, ID.
-Shoot every chance you get, especially in country.  Check your zero for all of your optics and your lasers.  Practise using your backup iron sight (GET ONE).  Practise shooting with your NVGs.  Practise unknown distance firing and practise reloading.  These skills atrophy, even if you're stomping around in the boonies every day.  If you haven't done it in the past couple of weeks then you've gotten out of practise and slower.  Do it again!
-Put your IFAK where YOU can get to it.  Remember SELF AID!  I see too many folks who ought to know better walkinig around with them on their backs or way back on the side.  Can you get to it with one hand missing lying in a pile of your own goo? If you have to take off your vest/PC or bend/turn to get to your IFAK then it's too far away. If you're counting on your buddy to get to your IFAK then you'v'e taken him out of the fight.  Don't make him have to choose between your life and his.  Control your own bleeding if you can and let him conentrate on putting rounds downrange.
-Know where all of your gear is on your body.  You should be able to switch channels, push to talk, get your IFAK, reload, etc. without looking.  If you have to look at your gear to use it or hunt for it consider this:  you have the rest of your life to figure it out.  How fast you figure it out may determine how much longer your life is.
-Be respectful and friendly to the locals but do NOT trust them, supervise and verify.  There are some folks here who will try to be your best buddy.  Smile, joke with him, but never forget that you may have to kill him and all of his brothers and cousins one day. Plan for it.  The odds are that he has already planned to kill you.

This is some great advice.  I'd like to add to clean your windows every time you can.  When the sun is just right, and beams in on a dirty windshield, it's hard to determine a threat, or just a little kid running out in front of your 15,000 lb up armored TLC.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#36]
If at all possible, don't deploy with the NG
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 6:56:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RavenXXVIII:

Is that a knock of AD against NG? Because some of my biggest problems were created by AD Army guys who thought they walked on water in comparison to the Guard guys they were working with.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Lesson Learned

There is always a shortage of Redbull at Bagram
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By RavenXXVIII:

Try to keep the douchebaggery to a minimum in a thread thats not a how-to guide on douchebaggery.  this is for deploying troops.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:55:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Been over here for-ev-er.  Last tour with the mil,and since as a contractor:

Everyone seems to have covered the really good stuff.   Just a few quick notes, that get learned the longer you are on the ground:

1.  Even if you don't like the Afghans you are forced to work with, a positive attitude and the big false smile will cut way down on the chance of a green/blue
2.  You may not like your interpreter, but he will keep you straight when working with the locals.  Unless he's a complete douche, hook him up with some goodies, and try to learn something about the local customs, lingo, and how to deal with the AF's you are going to have to work with.
3.  Leave the big stupid knife at home, or in your assault pack.  All you need is a good folder/and/or light weight gerber/multi-tool
4.  Have a couple of GP molle pouches with you either for your assault pack, or vest
5.  The only thing you need on your M4 is a PEQ-15, and an optic.  You don't need pressure switch lights, bipods or other BS gizmos
6.  Extra hand held flashlights that take CR123's.  You always lose one, or need one when the other is dead or the bulb burned out
7.  Back up everything you have on a portable hard drive.  The bigger the hard drive, more of a chance of it failing.
8.  Couple of good flash drives in18-32 mb.
9.  As stated previously, lots of extra lenses, and probably a spare set of sunglasses
10. You will lose a pen a day, I have no idea where they go
11. Usually two pistol holsters if you have one of the lead desk weight beretta's.  One for "garrison" on the belt, and the other drop leg.  And please, please, wear your drop leg holster up high, not flopping around down by your knee
12.  Cash, as stated earlier
13. If you need one of something, buy three
14. Train your drills.  Train, train, train.  9 line like it's tattoo'd into your mind, learn how to run an E-HLZ
15. Never, ever, ever trust the ANSF, no matter what.  Smile, but keep that trigger finger ready to go.
16.  Don't buy into the negativity bullshit.  You'll get sucked into it, and end up being part of it.  Keep focused on your job, and just do whatever is asked.  Don't question, don't bitch, just do it.
17.  Support your chain of command.  You'll be much more valuable to your team if your support your supervisor, and your command.  Don't buy into the little cliques that form, and don't bad mouth those above you.  It'll make life a lot easier.
18.  Try and fix any issues that you have internally.  Don't go crying to the IG, or initiate some 15-6 investigation, when you could have been a man, and worked on a solution within your own small group.
19.  Facebook is the devil
20.  Let the FRG fight their own little battles.  Don't get involved in their estrogen based bullshit.
21.  Cheap laser boresight.   Check on your zero constantly...and for gods sake, please take the time to zero your PEQ 15...and and put a battery in it.  I hear the excuses all day long...my Squad Leader didn't get a night range, so I can't zero...BS!   We don't use the PEQ 15, so why put a battery in it.  I didn't put a battery in my PEQ 15 since JRTC.  Excuses, excuses, excuses.
22.  Buy a couple of your own batteries for the PEQ 15, and your red dot.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#41]
For leadership types:

Hard copy list of battle roster/blood type of soldiers in element.  Leave room for attachments/enablers to be written in.  Keep it with your Nato 9 line as well as other mission essential data.  

I had mine laminated on a piece of MRE cardboard about 4 inches wide by 8 inches long or so.  Back side was covered in illum tape to make night time notes.

Kept it in my mapcase in cargo pocket, snap-linked into my rigger belt by 550.

You could rely on getting the number off the casualty's helmet band, but what if his helmet has been vaporised??
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#42]
If his helmet was vaporized his head probably wouldn't be there anymore... lol  I think Kevlar is a lot stronger than the human head.  P.S. What you could just do is have your soldiers write their blood type on the top of their boots.  (Already a common practice)
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#43]
About the blood type thingy, I know our medic was telling us, they aren't even going off your battle roster and blood type on the camel band, they are going off your dog tags.

Link Posted: 4/30/2013 1:05:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pontifex_Mortis] [#44]
Personally, I am allergic to nickel... so could never wear dog tags or the chain.

Did the reasonable thing and got a meat tag on my left side... Same information on the dog tags just on... me.

The combat/unit patches they issued us had information similar to the dog tag on it. ID#, unit/company, blood type, etc. You could always get one of those as well. Otherwise go the cheap way out and write it on your helmet cat-eye band/cover(if they even still wear those), plate carrier, rifle, etc.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 2:15:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#45]
I'm a retard that can't link pics

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#46]
the army told me i had A+ and the Air force says A-  blood type...

nice
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:23:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cleatus] [#47]
I know I am a remf...

how about going somplace like Ali?

not anywhere near as dangerous as the FOB stuff, but anyone been there have any suggestions?

Note--I will probably need some sort of dust glasses--got dry eye and probably wouldnt deal with the sand in the air
any sugestions on good dust proof glasses?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#48]

I'm an Aviation type so its not combat shit, its snivel gear but order yourself one of those Huawei Mifi units and a local SIM card for where you are going.  It lets you and up 10 friends, depending on what one you get, have wifi that is based off whatever cell network is available.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#49]
A few previously unstated things I have worked out for myself...geared towards the combat mission types

- Always have some form of rain and snivel with you.  I always get briefed about mission duration and weather, but Ive been hurt before.  I personally carry a snugpack jungle blanket in a dri-sack and a small OD green foldable poncho wherever I go at a minimum. Speaking of dri-sacks, everything I carry that can be mildly affected by water goes in them.

- Always have an extra set of socks, its not awesome at all to sit through the night in wet socks.

- mystery ranch cinch strap.  Learn to use it if you carry a pack over armor.  Also, plan on starting trap raises and back extensions as a regular thing in your workouts

- if you wear peltors, always turn them down a setting or two when you turn them on, you will get exponentially more battery life that way.  If they power off, turn them back on and turn them down again, they will stay on for a while longer.

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#50]
As a medic with deployments to both iraq and afghanistan these are a few things I learned while deployed. My career has been strictly in line units so I've had to adapt to Infantry, Field Artillery and combat engineers.

Carry more than your standard 7 mags. Even as a medic, I was a grunt until I had a patient. I would usually carry 12 mags of ammo and about another 10 in my big out bag.

Have stuff you will need readily available.

As a medic here are some pointers.

Carry extra tourniquets. I would always have my guys carry 2 in pockets,  1 lower right pocket and 1 in upper left shoulder pocket and 1 in IFAK. I always carried at least 15 in my aid bag and then had my pockets ones on myself also. Blast injuries are bad and usually extra TQs are needed.

On 3-4 day patrols or LP/OP missions I would have my guys carry their own IV kits. I as one person can only carry so much stuff.

Always have an extra bag on your vehicle with extra supplies, you dont know if you will be resupplied if you run out of shit.

They would have a 500mL bag of lactated ringers. 2 18ga catheters, constricting band, alcohol pads, tegaderm amd saline lock.

Pain management was for only the worst patients,  I say this because if I have multiple patients, I cant monitor them all closely. I'd rather have a patient moaning and making a bit of noise versus one who is unresponsive and have to give him all my attention.

Train others in your unit to do actual medic stuff. That way in case you as a medic gets injured, they know how to treat you and keep you alive.

As a medic on patrol, dont look like a medic. Blend in with the others so you dont make yourself look like a juicy target.

I'm sure I'll remember more later, but this is what I can think of for now.

This is from 15 years as a combat medic in the Army and 3 deployments. I was also a civilian paramedic for 10 years before joining the army.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top