Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2017 11:46:46 PM EDT
Heading to Iraq this summer. We are permitted to bring one footlocker/trunk to pack our stuff in. Any  suggestions, particularly for those who have had good or bad experiences with certain products?

I have no desire or means to spend big on Pelican or something. I am looking at the Plano 1919 Sportsman Trunk (large variety) - its about $50.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the one with wheels if you can find it.  Sure as there's dust in the desert you'll find yourself needing to transport if one day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:59:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The plano one is garbage, head to Lowes and pick up a Stanley if you have your heart set on a tough box.  They have a few different sizes.  Just remember, you have to drag everything you bring with you; and on the way you back you have to drag everything you brought plus whatever stuff you acquire while you're there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-037025H-Gallon-Mobile-Chest/dp/B000Q5LZT4?tag=vglnk-c102-20

I have multiple of these, they stack nicely in the conexes if everyone in the unit has them, they are sturdy.  they have survived multiple deployments and field exercises and ntc rotations.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The issued pelican box did me right. Not the biggest thing in the world but I can fit 4 uniforms under the trays with room to spare.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green2Blue30] [#5]
When I went in 2006, I just threw my shit in a padlocked seabag.

I still have it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:22:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I second what the others have said about getting a Stanley or similar box with wheels from Home Depot or Lowe's. Those are about the only boxes that will be durable and last through your unit movement.

My Guard Infantry unit deployed out of Ft. Bliss in February. They are not allowing any footlockers for Reserve Component movements. They authorized us 4 ea duffle bags, 1 ruck and a carry-on (laptop bag). Active duty units deploying from their bases probably have more flexibility since they typically load out shipping containers. As a Light Infantry Battalion, we don't have a lot of equipment to move so we are not allocated much funding for movement.

Reserve Component units are also deploying out of Ft. Hood currently but I do not know if they have the same policies as the Movement Control office at Ft. Bliss.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:23:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I had these. THe green pelican is more sturdy but are smaller and dont have wheels. THe Stanleys are bigger but the latches break a bit easier and the overall might get cracked or broker easier.
NSN 8460-01-471-1035

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-20-47-in-50-Gal-Mobile-Tool-Box-037025H/202300294
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I use two of the bottom black boxes in place of duffle bags when training conus. As an AGR staff member I take more crap to the field than the average 11B sometimes. I let can let the black boxes sit in the rain with no worries of leaks or rusting. They have been rock solid.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#9]
You should be able to take one of the Stanley Tuff boxes anywhere in Iraq.  As suggested get it with wheels!  Been there way too many times without wheels, they are a life or back saver.

CD
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Wheeled footlocker if you can. Rocks, sand, having to travel with weapons and PPE, We were limited to 4 bags no hard boxes other than flight gear. Rfi was helter skelter from day one show and mine didnt show up until we were about to leave MOB, so I had 2 large black rollers and two empty green duffles in my A bag..funny thing, the cats who had gear in their c&d bags, box didnt arrive in country for 2 months. We jammed up our conexes with as much shit allowed which was cool, until we found out they had split the TF between 2 different locations.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:20:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GTLandser] [#11]
Another vote for the Stanley rolling tool box. They can be broken and the latches aren't the greatest, but they are quite tough for their price point.

If it was me, I would also shell out for a small(er) Pelican that can hold your laptop. That's one of those things that's really hard to live without if it is broken.

ETA: don't bother with a pad lock, as the hasps on the Stanley are a joke (either thin sheet metal, or through the plastic of the sides and front). The lock will just get caught on stuff and break a part of your box.

Instead, I suggest just zip-tying 3-4 points where the locks would go anyway. Jumbo zip ties are inconvenient enough to deter about as well (read: poorly), but at least they help hold everything together and you can just snip them when you reach your destination.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top