Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2017 6:32:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridagt]
ok, whats the deal? Have any of you Arfcommers ever bought high dollar stones from here? thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:26:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skopsko07734] [#1]
One of the guys with whom I worked at Jbad was a certified gemologist, he bought and sold rocks, gem, and minerals part time in the US as well as panned for gold.  When I asked him the same question that you are asking me here he told me that the gemstones were priced at market value or slightly above, that you were not going to get any screaming good deals; the Afghans for the most part know the market value of their stones.

I went outbound through BAF a week and a half ago for R&R and didn't check to see if the large bazaar by the main gate was still open, is that where you are going?  If the large bazaar is still open you will generally get better deals there as they get fewer customers than the haji shops that used to be by the BX/PX.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skopsko07734:
One of the guys with whom I worked at Jbad was a certified gemologist, he bought and sold rocks, gem, and minerals part time in the US as well as panned for gold.  When I asked him the same question that you are asking me here he told me that the gemstones were priced at market value or slightly above, that you were not going to get any screaming good deals; the Afghans for the most part know market the value of their stones.

I went outbound through BAF a week and a half ago for R&R and didn't check to see if the large bazaar by the main gate was still open, is that where you are going?  If the large bazaar is still open you will generally get better deals there as they get fewer customers than the haji shops that used to be by the BX/PX.
View Quote
BX/PX clam shell is closed down they moved to the area by AZIZ restaurant. the one I went to was an open air area so I guess that would be main gate.(by Georgian military) the guy was great his name was Jawad. he has a 3ctw ring I haggled him to 1900 from 3k. but reading about the gems kinda has me gun shy. There are diamond substitutes like moissanite that are hard to detect unless your a gemologist.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top