Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2017 4:52:44 AM EDT
Background-I have been there a few times in uniform and out, and I may/will soon be offered a lucrative gig working with both the US and the Kuwaiti MoD.  Not going to comment further, other than the money is excellent, full expat support package, and I can live in the local economy.  Vehicle will be provided too, and I have CAC and installation perks if I visit Buehring, Ali or whatever little slice of heaven I desire.

I know Jahra and some of the areas vicinity the Hwy of Death are not as friendly towards pale face types.  We got any arfcom talent here that can recommend good places to consider long term residence?  Salmiya was a little ghetto, but maybe that's changed since 2010.  I'd prefer a 2 bedroom under 600KD with access to fiber/GPON.  Perks, like a seaview and furnished are good, and accessibility to highways and some of the western amenities too.  Don't need a maid, or to be parked next to a minaret and get blasted with calls to prayer.  

They will probably put me up in a hotel at first, while my Civil ID is refreshed and I get established

Nope, Kuwaiti position was a no go...did not depart, and I'm glad I declined, because...ABU DHABI!  Only down side, no guns, weapons, or parts and pieces of any kind.  Not even airsoft or Laser sims.  Grrrr.

But unlike Kuwait...GUINNESS.

But...knowledge is power and arfcom always delivers.  Send it.  Give me your UAE/Abu Dhabi knowledge.  Bahrain, Dubai...been there.  I need me some Abu Dhabi smarticles.

---and---

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, can't help but wondering what the money is like. Not trying to be intrusive and if you'd rather not answer I completely understand. Just interested in where the money has gone for he overseas quasi-mil gigs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#2]
@ pdm:  Depending on your job and skillset...and the uplifts?  For unskilled or non niche work,  it ain't worth it.  If you get a full relocation package, and they fly you home 4 times a year business class...probably worth it!  There are three tiers of work for American expats, and it starts with security or semi skilled, the middle being a technical or mechanical SME and the top is management.  Bottom tier burns out folks like crazy,  but the other two may be worth it.  About half the population in Q8 is expat.  If you are not easily bored, can go dry, live frugal and have a desired skill...you should consider applying.  Teachers, engineers and the like are in demand.  But, the pay is Meh compared to 10 years ago.  I happen to have a CV they find desirable and the money is excellent.  Think California pay rate +30% and housing, car. Most Q8 positions are not as plush.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@ pdm:  Depending on your job and skillset...and the uplifts?  For unskilled or non niche work,  it ain't worth it.  If you get a full relocation package, and they fly you home 4 times a year business class...probably worth it!  There are three tiers of work for American expats, and it starts with security or semi skilled, the middle being a technical or mechanical SME and the top is management.  Bottom tier burns out folks like crazy,  but the other two may be worth it.  About half the population in Q8 is expat.  If you are not easily bored, can go dry, live frugal and have a desired skill...you should consider applying.  Teachers, engineers and the like are in demand.  But, the pay is Meh compared to 10 years ago.  I happen to have a CV they find desirable and the money is excellent.  Think California pay rate +30% and housing, car. Most Q8 positions are not as plush.
View Quote

Thanks and that's what I figured. I just was wondering where pay has gone since '02-'06....e.g. PSD in the Green Zone in IRQ (circa '05) was $1K per day, KASOTC was about $800/day, for team leaders, in 2010, Karzi detail in 2002 was $600/day, etc...I had heard money was lower but hey, there are worse places than Kuwait! At least you can punch out for weekends in Bahrain or Dubai.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks and that's what I figured. I just was wondering where pay has gone since '02-'06....e.g. PSD in the Green Zone in IRQ (circa '05) was $1K per day, KASOTC was about $800/day, for team leaders, in 2010, Karzi detail in 2002 was $600/day, etc...I had heard money was lower but hey, there are worse places than Kuwait! At least you can punch out for weekends in Bahrain or Dubai.
View Quote

Exactly.  This is not a PSD or security detail, and the Kuwatis take internal security very seriously, and have upgunned internally a few notches after the 2015 Mosque bombing-but they are not outsourcing too much with Western security folks anymore (the infamous bomb dog mass euthanasia was a side effect of that).  They also tend to catch bad guys (guilty or not) and execute by old school neck stretching, so its a pretty safe place overall.  I try not to poop where I sleep, so I am planning on RnR in Bahrain or ski indoors in Dubai once a month and enjoy a tasty beverage where its legal and never invite the Kuwaiti badges into my life, capice?

IMO if you want a $$$ job in Kuwait...be savvy in logistics and ITAR.  Property book stuff.  Or be a turret mechanic.  My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:54:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Salwa is a nice area.  If they put you up in a hotel, try and get the Radisson Blu in Salwa.  There are couple decent markets for food, there are nice restaraunts nearby, and there are a decent amount of expats  Also, download the app "talabat".  It is an app that everyone uses to have food delivered from all over.  It is a lifesaver during Ramadan.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Salwa is a nice area.  If they put you up in a hotel, try and get the Radisson Blu in Salwa.  There are couple decent markets for food, there are nice restaraunts nearby, and there are a decent amount of expats  Also, download the app "talabat".  It is an app that everyone uses to have food delivered from all over.  It is a lifesaver during Ramadan.
View Quote

Thank you, this is the kind of pro-tips I am looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top