Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2017 7:08:43 PM EDT
I wanted to send him a care package.  Will Listerine get confiscated because of the alcohol content?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
He can buy listerine there. Send cigars
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a bottle of the brown Listerine, pour that shit out, refill it with whiskey and send him that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
Get a bottle of the brown Listerine, pour that shit out, refill it with whiskey and send him that.
View Quote

I would never do that
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mikey_babaganoush:

I would never do that
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I would never do that

Then he doesn't need Listerine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Gotterdammerung:

Then he doesn't need Listerine.
View Quote

He doesn't like whiskey.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:35:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#7]
Well if that's not his thing, send him something entertaining, useful or whatever if he hasn't mentioned anything he needs in particular.

He's in Kuwait, he can more than likely get all the basic stuff he needs just fine but there may be specific things he's wanting(like may a favorite snack food).

If he's a smoker send him his brand, I preferred the American tobacco vs the Euro/Asian smokes back when I smoked.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Lol people tend to take me way to seriously.  He doesn't like whiskey, more of a run and vodka guy. Some cigars will be going in the box for sure.  Maybe some tactical bacon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Lol people tend to take me way to seriously.  He doesn't like whiskey, more of a run and vodka guy. Some cigars will be going in the box for sure.  Maybe some tactical bacon.
View Quote

Vodka with blue food coloring
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By flying_finn:

Vodka with blue food coloring
View Quote

Nothing says, "friendship," like sending your buddy an Article 15 in a box.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

View Quote

Meh, you're no fun.

Depends on the unit he's in.  My PL and PSG would have shared
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Send him some of his favorite beef jerky (assuming its something other than oberto or the bull stuff that you can find any where).
Or send him some taco bell hot sauce packets.  Or some buffalo wild wing sauces.
I don't know how kuwait is right now nor what branch your friend is, but sometimes alcohol is available in limited "rations".  I wouldn't risk getting yourself or your friend in trouble over some booze.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Kuwaiti PMO doesn't play.  I got jacked for a Bug'A'Salt gun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Meh, you're no fun.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Meh, you're no fun.

Amen. Especially some waste of a year in Kuwait.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:56:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TAP] [#16]
View Quote

The latest one here got a GOMOR on top of that.

This place blows.  6 more months...  
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#17]

He doesn't like whiskey.
View Quote
He will after a few weeks in Kuwait 

-Deke
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
beef jerky and bacon is scarce
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Pssssttt... the postal guy's are asses.  Had a buddy who was assigned to the USEMB, he ordered squirt guns for his kids.. the bright orange and red ones from Walmart. Postal xrays everything coming into the country, so they of course saw the gun shape and confiscated them.  Never mind that the PX on AJ sells the same crap.  Liquor will not get thru unless the kid on the machine is asleep when that particular box goes thru the machine.  

Send him some cigars and a note to hit the cigar shops at Avenues Mall or the cigar shop upstairs at the airport and buy some decent Cubano's.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#20]
you can buy bacon, pork ribs and even pig belly in the PX.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#21]
vacations don't count
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By tweeter:
vacations don't count
View Quote
I would call that a prison sentence
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#23]
From what I saw on my layover in Kuwait, that place is a shit hole. Fuck being deployed there. Afghan sucks too but at least you can be proud to say you've been there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Meh.  It is what you make of it.  I enjoyed my 9 months in Kuwait - volunteered to stay another 9, but NY gave me a para & line #, then backfilled it.  Turned out well, as I had a small skin cancer & didn't know it.

Arifjan has a nice pool & plenty of middle-aged female bureaucrats.  Buehring has solitude - how I got started w/ Lego gunstocks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:07:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#25]
And over at Ali Al Salem Airbase it is a AF summer camp.  Pool, movie theather, smallest PX of the three bases, pounds of bacon at the DFAC and plenty of eye candy if you want to chase it.  Running around the airfield four times gives you a marathon.  Did last two years there going between Ali and Baghdad.

CD
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
And over at Ali Al Salem Airbase it is a AF summer camp.  Pool, movie theather, smallest PX of the three bases, pounds of bacon at the DFAC and plenty of eye candy if you want to chase it.  Running around the airfield four times gives you a marathon.  Did last two years there going between Ali and Baghdad.

CD
View Quote
Ali was shutting down when I was there in 2013.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:  Ali was shutting down when I was there in 2013.
View Quote
The tents (Army side) did.  The Air Force side stayed, AFAIK.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Meh.  It is what you make of it.  I enjoyed my 9 months in Kuwait - volunteered to stay another 9, but NY gave me a para & line #, then backfilled it.  Turned out well, as I had a small skin cancer & didn't know it.

Arifjan has a nice pool & plenty of middle-aged female bureaucrats.  Buehring has solitude - how I got started w/ Lego gunstocks.
View Quote
Jesus.

Nine months in Kuwait, or nine months in the county jail...  if the pay was the same, and neither was entered in my permanent record, it would be tough to choose.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd rather 9 months @ Buehring than 9 months @ N Fort Hood.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Jesus.

Nine months in Kuwait, or nine months in the county jail...  if the pay was the same, and neither was entered in my permanent record, it would be tough to choose.
View Quote
The Kuwaitis call Buehring "the American prison."
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:  The Kuwaitis call Buehring "the American prison."
View Quote
Yep, pretty much.    It was peaceful, though.  The hard part was watching Iraq melt down just across the border.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

Ali was shutting down when I was there in 2013.
View Quote
When we were wrapping things up in 2013, our company was tasked with going down to tear those tents down on the LSA of Ali. I always heard deployments could be intense, however, I now know people were actually saying "they could be in tents".
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Kuwait's a deployment?
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER:  Kuwait's a deployment?
View Quote
On my Kuwait trip, we had a LTC and a 1st SGT get their "combat" patches in Kuwait.  

They finally yanked the combat zone tax exemption when they realized they'd PCS'd families to Arifjan.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 1:38:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER:
Kuwait's a deployment?
View Quote
In 2012 my unit denied me an individual augmentee four month tour with JSOC so I could inventory lateral transfer equipment and ensure that we had appropriate relief documents.

But that's OK because I did a six month "combat" tour at Buehring the next year, which checked the block.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:  In 2012 my unit denied me an individual augmentee four month tour with JSOC so I could inventory lateral transfer equipment and ensure that we had appropriate relief documents.

But that's OK because I did a six month "combat" tour at Buehring the next year, which checked the block.
View Quote
We were there @ the same time.  I was hanging out w/ the CAB, playing w/ Legos.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#37]
On my Kuwait trip, we had a LTC and a 1st SGT get their "combat" patches in Kuwait.  They finally yanked the combat zone tax exemption when they realized they'd PCS'd families to Arifjan.
View Quote
When was this?  Kuwait is currently a CZTE area, and has been since 1991.  The first accompanied tour just started in 2017, for the new commander of the ASG at Arifjan.

Not defending the place- it is Bogusville to the utmost.  And combat patches for services in, and only in, Kuwait is a sad joke- and the reason why a lot of us don't wear our SSI-FWTS, CABs, and other flair.  It has all become meaningless in the Army due to absurdities in awarding them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I thought they dropped the tax exemption in 2014.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#39]

We were there @ the same time.  I was hanging out w/ the CAB, playing w/ Legos.
View Quote
Only experience I had with the CAB was when they MEDEVAC'd a guy for us... come to think of it my only real world CASEVAC was completed in a Scooby bus from the tent to the aid station.

The CAB did have a hot Apache pilot, though, right?
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TAP:
Not defending the place- it is Bogusville to the utmost.  And combat patches for services in, and only in, Kuwait is a sad joke- and the reason why a lot of us don't wear our SSI-FWTS, CABs, and other flair.  It has all become meaningless in the Army due to absurdities in awarding them.
View Quote
My 1SG ordered the enlisted guys to wear their patches, the LTs did not, which pissed off the BDE CDR a little bit when he showed up halfway through.

I still don't wear mine very often.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#41]
I thought they dropped the tax exemption [for Kuwait] in 2014.
View Quote
No, they did not.  In fact, more were added around then.  https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/combat-zones
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:  Only experience I had with the CAB was when they MEDEVAC'd a guy for us... come to think of it my only real world CASEVAC was completed in a Scooby bus from the tent to the aid station.

The CAB did have a hot Apache pilot, though, right?
View Quote
There was a redhead w/ a temper to match, a good looking tall lawyer (now married), a cute pilot moving to Connecticut I think, and there was a good looking LTC (older) down @ Arifjan.

One night leaving your side of the post I came upon some of your NCO's conducting midnight PT for some young soldiers who needed it.  Good times.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#43]
The only good thing about Kuwait is knowing you're going somewhere better soon.  I'll be there few weeks, very temporarily.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Be nice to the 3rd country nationals....
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

My 1SG ordered the enlisted guys to wear their patches, the LTs did not, which pissed off the BDE CDR a little bit when he showed up halfway through.

I still don't wear mine very often.
View Quote
Kuwait gets combat tax exemption but doesnt qualify for a combat patch anymore.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#46]
You can't control what people fucking send you. Like, say, large peroxide bottles full of everclear. The he mint flavor leaches out of mouthwash bottles and makes the vodka tast exactly like menthol mouthwash in a stomach-turning and awful way. 
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Jkbulldogg:
From what I saw on my layover in Kuwait, that place is a shit hole. Fuck being deployed there. Afghan sucks too but at least you can be proud to say you've been there.
View Quote
So true. I think I might off myself if I got deployed to Kuwait to bake in the sun and fraternize for a year. Fuck that
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd rather 9 months @ Buehring than 9 months @ N Fort Hood.  
View Quote
Don't like scenic and beautiful Gatesville?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Falcon09:  Don't like scenic and beautiful Gatesville?
View Quote
Gatesville's fine - if you're allowed to visit there.  We were on 1st Army lockdown for two months before deployment.  Fuck their hypocrisy.

Mouthwash has, apparently by law, ingredients in it to make you throw up if you drink the stuff, which apparently leeches into the bottle lining.  It's not the menthol flavor.

If you can't go without alcohol for 9 months out of your life, you might have an issue.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Arifjan has the most depressing Chili's I've ever been in, which I guess isn't saying much since that's only the second time in my life I've been to Chili's.  Lots of guys PCS'ed here to ARCENT, so they have lots of time off to spend running 5ks, fraternizing, and Bogarting the dumbbells while skipping leg day in the gym.  

So glad I won't be here my entire tour.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top