Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 8:06:19 PM EDT
I haven't even gone to MEPS yet, but was considering getting some pelican style luggage ahead of time to  use now and later as I'll likely be someplace sandy.

Is your only allowed luggage military issue? the standard duffel?

If not, what are the actual and practical size/quantity restrictions?

Would a separate smaller pelican for a laptop be preferable to just putting my laptop in a larger case with other belongings.

Thanks...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I haven't even gone to MEPS yet,
Thanks...
View Quote

LOL....I would spend your time and energy actually getting in and completing boot camp, MOS school etc....A lot can happen between now and then.  No use spending money on stuff you may never use.  Usually on unit the deployments, in the Marine Corps anyways, it was 2 seabags and your pack and day pack.  Nothing more....
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#2]
As already stated.  Get through MEPS, complete Boot, complete your MOS training, go to your unit.  Then worry about luggage.

Most of your stuff will fit in your Ruck, seabag (duffle?), and ancillary bags.  You might be issued a rolling tote thing.

ETA; yes a small flat pelican case is ideal for laptops and usually allowable as carry-on.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I haven't even gone to MEPS yet, but was considering getting some pelican style luggage ahead of time to  use now and later as I'll likely be someplace sandy.
View Quote

Worry about going someplace sandy when you actually get the orders to go there
We worried for years about going to Europe and fighting the Soviets in the European theatre
Instead at the end of my career I found myself in the sandbox
Would have been there the first year of my career if the first Governor Cuomo hadn't done everything he could to keep NY Guard members at home.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Once you get off the bus the last time you will see your stuff is when you leave for AIT. And then you will not need it. Take what they tell you. Be prepared to buy everything all over again to include running shoes. When you get to AIT you get your stuff back, sometimes after graduation.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Save your money...and don't get the cart in front of the horse
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Along with everyone else, wait and see. Some of the issued stuff is very good and in a year or two when you might deploy, take a look again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the responses, (seriously, Thank you, not just being a jackass)  my fault for not making the question more specific about the current uses I could use the pelican for  and not clearer that I'm not a delusional wanna-be.  

I'm fully aware I may not even end up enlisting at all or stationed forever in Vanilla, Nebraska.

Just a FYI UPDATE:    Permanently Disqualified -  Medical.  Trying for a waiver but it's not looking good.

Back on topic:

Seems like small cases for laptop and notepads, etc would be both useful to me now and allowed and useful if deployed/frequently traveling and moving.

... and  anything larger may not be practical or allowed for actual deployment regardless current or other uses.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#8]
What branch and specialty?

Nobody is going to be able to make recommendations.  Join up and uncle sam will provide whatever you might need for the first year or two until you get situated and figure out what your needs are.

The most I'd recommend at this point is a nice shaving bag.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#9]
First choice now is Air Force EOD.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Just buy whatever you think you want. When you get out six or 20 years down the road you'll have more cases, bags, duffles, rucks, sacks, packs, satchels, pouches, boxes, lockers, and other assorted crap to carry assorted crap than you will ever need. Might as well get started now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#11]
My laptop made it through OEF in an assault pack and a $15 Best Buy sleeve.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:29:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My laptop made it through OEF in an assault pack and a $15 Best Buy sleeve.
View Quote

This what I'm doing too.

Other than that, get bags that have wheels, it makes it way easier.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:56:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Same as others said, focus on getting through the beginning phases of military training first.

Once you get deployed, use what is issued. Medium rucksack was awesome to carry everything in. My computer survived in it and a cheap computer case I got at Best Buy. If you get stationed in WA, check out Tactical Tailor for cool guy gear
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Even if you make it through MEPs you will have another 12-18 months of maybe not making it to contend with.  Worry about PT and start developing some study habits.  Worry about luggage once you are in long enough to even realize we don't use that term.

Quoted:
Back on topic:

Seems like small cases for laptop and notepads, etc would be both useful to me now and allowed and useful if deployed/frequently traveling and moving.

... and  anything larger may not be practical or allowed for actual deployment regardless current or other uses.

What you are allowed to take depends on the mission and mode of travel. I have travelled with duffels only before and I have had my own tricon container for two people before.

Your unit may even buy you hookerbags or pelicans depending on the trip.  Ive been given many of them.

Bottom line....this is the dead last thing you should be worried about.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just buy whatever you think you want. When you get out six or 20 years down the road you'll have more cases, bags, duffles, rucks, sacks, packs, satchels, pouches, boxes, lockers, and other assorted crap to carry assorted crap than you will ever need. Might as well get started now.
View Quote

You aint lying.

ETA> - NM, med DQ
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Off topic but had surgery to resolve the medical disqual and happily graduated last week with honors,  looking forward to the next year.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Off topic but had surgery to resolve the medical disqual and happily graduated last week with honors,  looking forward to the next year.
View Quote

Graduated Basic?  Congrats.  What MOS school does next year have in store?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in Aircraft Fuel Systems 2A634

Tech school is extremely short  36? days,  will be at Sheppard AFB and then at first duty station (anywhere) before February.

Long story short  I had to go in instantly due to time constraint

I'm still  applying for EOD at first opportunity.....   there's often a shortage of them so I may not even have wait to till end of this contract to apply,
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm still  applying for EOD at first opportunity.....
View Quote

BTDT.  IM me once you start the pipeline if you have questions.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Tech school is extremely short  36? days,  will be at Sheppard AFB and then at first duty station (anywhere) before February.

I'm still  applying for EOD at first opportunity.....   there's often a shortage of them so I may not even have wait to till end of this contract to apply,
View Quote

You have to serve out half of your contract before you can apply for a retrain.  Keep your nose clean, work hard, get involved in your unit.  You want leadership to know your name, and not in a bad way.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:36:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Interested in what your first duty station will be.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Sandy South Carolina !!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#23]
F-16 guy huh?
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You have to serve out half of your contract before you can apply for a retrain.  Keep your nose clean, work hard, get involved in your unit.  You want leadership to know your name, and not in a bad way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

EOD frequently has time waivers for retrains. Ref:  I retrained into EOD almost 6 years ago.

Get. Your. PT. Fucking. Straight. Or don't waste our time.

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Wait!
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wait!
View Quote

Wait What?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top