Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2014 10:17:41 PM EDT
What are some tips or stuff I should buy when I get there that I wont get dropped for that will help me.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Be inconspicuous.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be inconspicuous.
View Quote

Got it. Ive always been one to try and not stick out. I dont like being noticed. Good and bad sometimes.

I heard some people say GoldBond powder, stuff to put on heels for marching. any other items?

Its the Army, National Guard, Ft. Leonardwood
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And use the next month to work on your Push Ups, Sit Ups and your Run time.
View Quote

Ive been doing them not as often as I should but i passed my PT with 35 pushups and 45 situps (I know that may not be alot to some but that was to when i collapsed) and an 750 mile. But im gonna keep working on them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
When finished with PT for the morning, run up to your Drill SGT and ask "Is that all there is? I thought this was supposed to be hard?"

He'll be really impressed
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When finished with PT for the morning, run up to your Drill SGT and ask "Is that all there is? I thought this was supposed to be hard?"

He'll be really impressed
View Quote

Will do. What else will he be impressed with?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:01:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:31:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't buy/bring anything except basic hygiene products (soap, deodorant, toothpaste).

You can't buy what you need. You need to not be an out of shape fat body. Do sit ups, push ups, and run everyday to get in shape. C group is for the girls. Real men run in A group, Betas run in B group. Also don't be a whiny pain in the ass. Despite what your parents told you, you are not a special snowflake. Your goal should be for your Drill Sergeants to not know your name on graduation day.

What component (AC, RC, NG)? and What MOS?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:42:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Keep mouth shut.

Never Volunteer

1st Sergent is an asshole

Sgt Major's are evil
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:20:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Wear a collarless shirt and comfortable shoes since you'll likely be standing for a long time.  I had a stupid polo shirt on and the collar trapped a ton of my hair when it was sheared off which sucked since we didn't take showers for a long while.  2 days for sure, but it's all a blur, could have been longer.

Quit smoking now if you smoke.

Rest and enjoy the last few days of freedom.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:22:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ive been doing them not as often as I should but i passed my PT with 35 pushups and 45 situps (I know that may not be alot to some but that was to when i collapsed) and an 750 mile. But im gonna keep working on them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And use the next month to work on your Push Ups, Sit Ups and your Run time.

You will quickly learn that just "passing" is not good enough.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:25:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Mental part is easy. Assuming you have the ability to lock out your emotions for a temporary period.

Best advice i can give you is stretching your calves every 8 hours so you dont end up like me with 27 individual and semi permanent stress fractures. Start running right now or incline walking/hiking for 2/miles a day minimum.

Been 5 years and my legs are still fucked up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't buy/bring anything except basic hygiene products (soap, deodorant, toothpaste).

You can't buy what you need. You need to not be an out of shape fat body. Do sit ups, push ups, and run everyday to get in shape. C group is for the girls. Real men run in A group, Betas run in B group. Also don't be a whiny pain in the ass. Despite what your parents told you, you are not a special snowflake. Your goal should be for your Drill Sergeants to not know your name on graduation day.

View Quote

Can't use a pair of oakley m frame ballistic glasses I bought not to long ago? (Tan color)
I won't be able to buy soap or deodorant or toothpaste there?
Army national guard. 31b ft leonardwood.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Can't use a pair of oakley m frame ballistic glasses I bought not to long ago? (Tan color)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

31B is OSUT.  

1. No you can't wear your Oakley's or anything else you bring (except maybe running shoes). Maybe toward the end they might let you, if you haven't lost, broken or had them stolen. I wouldn't do it.
2. You will sooner or later get the chance to buy hygiene products. The problem is you are no longer on your schedule. You are on the schedule of 140-240 other people, and the dozen or so Drill Sergeants that have 16 hours of training scheduled a day. Most units let Soldiers go to the PX on Saturdays for necessities after the first 3 weeks. Your time there is limited, and so is the stock.
3. Google is a wonderful thing:
http://www.wood.army.mil/newweb/43rd/
http://www.tradoc.army.mil/tpubs/pams/tp600-4.pdf
http://www.wood.army.mil/usamps/Organizations/14thMPBrigade/14thMPBde.html

The top link is to the reception Battalion who will own you for a few days to a week before you get picked up by your OSUT unit. They have links for what to bring/not bring, what you do for in processing and so on.

The second link is to the Soldiers Blue book, which is the manual issued to all Soldiers at all Basic training units. You will be expected to know it. It will also give you some clues as to what to expect.

The third link is to the 14th MP BDE. That will be your BDE. You won't find out your Battalion and Company until you arrive, so that page is probably useless for you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:36:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the great info. Keep it coming.

I hate shots. I can get them but I really prefer not to get them, havent had one for 10+ years. Had blood drawn at meps and if i think about it, my arm starts tingling.  I hear more and more about this Peanut butter shot. 8 gauge needle. uh... trying not the think about it but stuff thats like peanut butter coming out of an 8 gauge needle is kind of hard not to think about. Tips on this other than Im in the army and should man the F*** up?

I have a Rite In The Rain 3x5 notepad right now, along with a moleskin journal. Will any pen work or stick with pencils? Maybe im over thinking but i want to cover everything so im not missing anything.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#19]
peanut butter will hurt for 2-3 days, especially since you'll be sitting on it a lot.  Not really anything you can do about it.  You will see everyone walking around the reception like they got a stick up their ass, its the peanut butter.  

Passed a PT test with 35 push ups and 45 sit ups?  Are you over 32 years old or something?  

The DSs will take you to the mini PX every so often to buy hygiene supplies and you will be forced to buy some when you show up, as well as running shoes.  Really nothing you need to bring with you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
peanut butter will hurt for 2-3 days, especially since you'll be sitting on it a lot.  Not really anything you can do about it.  You will see everyone walking around the reception like they got a stick up their ass, its the peanut butter.  

Passed a PT test with 35 push ups and 45 sit ups?  Are you over 32 years old or something?  

The DSs will take you to the mini PX every so often to buy hygiene supplies and you will be forced to buy some when you show up, as well as running shoes.  Really nothing you need to bring with you.
View Quote

For the 1-1-1, I passed. I'm 21. I've never worked out in my life so to go and do that for me is pretty doing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#21]
If you buy anything listed beforehand, you WILL buy it again at reception. This includes running shoes. Everyone always says the same shit about basic.

Go there, have fun, learn a thing or two. You'll be issued a "smartbook" that has all the information you need to know, at reception. Once you get it, start reading it. And keep reading it. Actually read it, don't be the little fuckers that just looks at it. Read the stories of the Medal of Honor recipients. Give 100% effort at everything, regardless of what it is. Things like that get you noticed, and while others are being inconspicuous, you may get selected to serve in a "leadership" position, or even better, graduate with some form of honors. Stay awake during the LEO training, its all new from when I went through, and it's legit stuff now. The MP corps is going under complete restructuring right now, and changing a lot of stuff up. It's a good time to start.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you buy anything listed beforehand, you WILL buy it again at reception. This includes running shoes. Everyone always says the same shit about basic.

Go there, have fun, learn a thing or two. You'll be issued a "smartbook" that has all the information you need to know, at reception. Once you get it, start reading it. And keep reading it. Actually read it, don't be the little fuckers that just looks at it. Read the stories of the Medal of Honor recipients. Give 100% effort at everything, regardless of what it is. Things like that get you noticed, and while others are being inconspicuous, you may get selected to serve in a "leadership" position, or even better, graduate with some form of honors. Stay awake during the LEO training, its all new from when I went through, and it's legit stuff now. The MP corps is going under complete restructuring right now, and changing a lot of stuff up. It's a good time to start.
View Quote

if I am selected to serve in a leadership role, any tips on that?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#23]
No matter how bad it sucks at any given time drive on.  I promise that when you are old and broken it will be one of the finest memories you can ever have.  Give it enough time and the even the shit will make you laugh.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No matter how bad it sucks at any given time drive on.  I promise that when you are old and broken it will be one of the finest memories you can ever have.  Give it enough time and the even the shit will make you laugh.
View Quote

Semper fi
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#26]
As my father advised me, I will advise you. "Never be 1st, Never be last, and Never volunteer."
Also as others have said. RUN and do push ups till you can't do any more. Pull ups too.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

For the 1-1-1, I passed. I'm 21. I've never worked out in my life so to go and do that for me is pretty doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So did you run, do push ups or sit-ups today? If not you are wasting time, and will regret it later. It will make it easier to do what you can to get in shape now. Soldiers are supposed to be athletes. If you have never worked out, you are behind the power curve. Look at the PT scale and set a goal. What do you want your score to be at the end? Then set a smaller goal for some moderate improvements you want to make between then and now. For example, improve from 35-45 push ups before your next 1-1-1. Take 20 seconds off of the mile time before your next 1-1-1. D this for each phase of training (every three weeks). Think about your goal while you are in morning formation waiting to start PT at 0445-0500. Do your best every day. Sure they will make you do it, but you will improve much more by doing your part, bputting in a full effort.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It won't be anything too bad. No need to prep. Usually your job as a leader will be just to count your squad and make sure you have everyone, when ever there is movement.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Remember you only do it once so do your best.

Some of the worst things that may happen will make the best memories.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#30]
So, three weeks to go eh?

My advice, get drunk and bang your girl.  Repeat as often as possible.  

Thanks for volunteering.  You're already better than most people.  

Now get to work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Get in the best shape you can before you ship out. Don't injure yourself but don't take it easy. Eat healthy. Learn as much as you can before you get there. Memorizing things when you are exhausted is not easy, so if you know it before hand all the better.

Associate with people/recruits/soldiers/etc. that are rock solid. If you hang out with the shit birds it won't be long until you become one. Stay motivated. If you start to get homesick get busy with something ASAP(like push ups). Days may seem like they take forever, but it will be over before you know it.

Good luck and have some fun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Learn what the drill sergeants are trying to teach you. If I get one more private, straight out of AIT that greets me "Sup?", there will be blood.

Seriously though, learn D&C, know customs and courtesies, do your PT. Don't worry about weapons, they will teach you.

Be in the right place, at the right time (15 minutes prior to the time you are told - every time,) in the right uniform, with the right equipment, and have a can-do attitude. When (not if) you fuck up, don't suffer of diarrhea of the mouth with excuses. Just say you fucked up, and then fix it.

I can stand a soldier that fucks up occasionally, but does his damnedest to remedy the issue, and always shows motivation and has a happy attitude. If you have the good attitude, your leadership will give you hell....but won't give you the kind of hell someone who is a shitbag with a billion excuses will get.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Tip one.

Attention to detail.  This s the DEPLOYED forum, there is another one for general service discussion.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Now get to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Now get to work.

Drinking is no problem. haha The banging stopped like 3 weeks ago. Her choice, kind of wanted to go out with a bang before i left but shit happens.
Quoted:
Tip one.

Attention to detail.  This s the DEPLOYED forum, there is another one for general service discussion.

Sorry about that.

Quoted:
Learn what the drill sergeants are trying to teach you. If I get one more private, straight out of AIT that greets me "Sup?", there will be blood.

Seriously though, learn D&C, know customs and courtesies, do your PT. Don't worry about weapons, they will teach you.

Be in the right place, at the right time (15 minutes prior to the time you are told - every time,) in the right uniform, with the right equipment, and have a can-do attitude. When (not if) you fuck up, don't suffer of diarrhea of the mouth with excuses. Just say you fucked up, and then fix it.

I can stand a soldier that fucks up occasionally, but does his damnedest to remedy the issue, and always shows motivation and has a happy attitude. If you have the good attitude, your leadership will give you hell....but won't give you the kind of hell someone who is a shitbag with a billion excuses will get.

I love learning new things, so that wont be a problem. saying Sup? to anyone is the dumbest shit. I always say hello, name.
been working on D&C but something with my f**king about face. I keep shifting to the right. Cant figure out why. pisses me off.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sorry about that.

View Quote

Just messing with you.

Shut up, do what you're told, and try not to laugh.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Make sure you call all the Drill Sergeants - Sir.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Make sure you call all the Drill Sergeants - Sir.
View Quote

We had one girl who was told to call them "General sir" ... Hilarity ensued.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#38]
don't bring anythiung but 3-4 weeks in have your folks mail you a boresnake,  makes cleaning a lot easier and in th e mail you can get it through
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Someone may have already covered it, but as they say at BUDS, 'it pays to be a winner'. You don't have to stand out to get noticed, and I mean in a good way. Drill Sergeants are not stupid, they will notice if you are giving 100%. One of the worst smokings I ever saw was after the run phase of the PT test.  The unfortunate private had decided to glide across thd finish line instead of hitting it hard.  My career in the MP's started in 1987, and a lot has changed over the years. There is a heavy shift towards law enforcement operations going on right now, so be prepared for some hard book learning.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Be on time in the right uniform, do what your told and never give up.  you will be just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top