Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2014 11:17:19 AM EDT
Anyone have any information? My younger brother graduates from his tech school (U.S.A.F.) in about a month and he just got word he is being stationed there.

He's kind of bummed, he was hoping to be on the east coast of the U.S. (close to home) - so it would be cool if I could give him some good news or information about Misawa. Something to look forward to.

I think its awesome, I told him he was an idiot for requesting bases close to home. He's excited but I can tell he's apprehensive and nervous.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I am a civilian, so never been to the base.  However, i have been to Japan 10 times and love it!  Great people, good food, and lots to see.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#2]
What tech school is he in? Whats the job?

I'm in Okinawa, Japan right now (the southern most US base here). I've heard Oki and Mainland are two totally different worlds.

Is he married or kids?

Tell him to have fun with the crow-adactyls. They are the size of small dogs for what I hear.

Its kind of rural, awesome skiing and snow boarding. I'm yet to meet anyone who was there that didn't love it. There are many earthquakes, but big ones are RARE.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
His tech school is at Ventura County Naval Base over in California. The job is special vehicle maintenance and fire suppression systems. From what I understand he's supposed to be mainly working on fire trucks and the de-icer vehicles, but he thinks he'll be working on anything from those to MRAPs etc. The job is perfect for him, he was a volunteer firefighter back home, did the cadet thing all 4 years through high school etc.

Not married, no kids - but he thinks the girl he is with now is "the one". He's 20, she's 18, so yeah, Im sure you know the deal. hahaha

Snowboarding is the thing we did together a lot, so thats cool, he'll really enjoy that. Crow-adactyls, hahaha, classic hilarity.

Thanks for the information! What do you do in Okinawa?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been there a couple of times. Weather is kind of like New England. He won't be working on MRAPs, just fire trucks and such on the flight line. It's not bad, could be much worse.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Spent a few months there back in 2005, winters dump a lot of snow, but the rest of the year it's great, plenty of cultural stuff to do around the area and all of the Japanese I encountered were very friendly and helpful. It pays to learn the local language just a bit.

The ice festival and cherry blossom festival are not to be missed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
His tech school is at Ventura County Naval Base over in California. The job is special vehicle maintenance and fire suppression systems. From what I understand he's supposed to be mainly working on fire trucks and the de-icer vehicles, but he thinks he'll be working on anything from those to MRAPs etc. The job is perfect for him, he was a volunteer firefighter back home, did the cadet thing all 4 years through high school etc.

Not married, no kids - but he thinks the girl he is with now is "the one". He's 20, she's 18, so yeah, Im sure you know the deal. hahaha

Snowboarding is the thing we did together a lot, so thats cool, he'll really enjoy that. Crow-adactyls, hahaha, classic hilarity.

Thanks for the information! What do you do in Okinawa?
View Quote

HA! Hes LRS and will be working on my trucks. lol. small word!

(Im a USAF Fire Fighter)
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#7]
UPDATE

My brothers flight is en route, he should be landing at Misawa in a couple hours.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 4:24:03 AM EDT
[#8]
hope he likes it out there! I am AD AF and I visit Misawa twice a year, its not a whole lot going on there. I would encourage him to travel as much as possible and dont get sucked into the whole "I hate this place" deal. There is always plenty to see in a country, you just have to find what suits you best!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top