Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2014 3:17:20 AM EDT
Apologies if this is the wrong section...

I am enlisting next Friday for the Army Reserves as a 68W (I took the ASVAB today and scored a 95) and my recruiters are looking to put me in a ground ambulance company based around Dallas.  What is the role of ground ambulances in the Army and what kind of training opportunities are available?

Some background on me:

I currently work as an EMT in Los Angeles running 911 and IFT calls.  I have my bachelors in entertainment business and was just accepted to UT Dallas' second degree program as a Pre Med student.  I have taught CLS for the National Guard to soldiers, airmen, swat, and Nato forces for the last 2 years.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have your Bachelors you need to go to OCS for the USAR. Trust me; USAREC is hurting like crazy for USAR Officers. Don't play around on the Enlisted USAR side if you have the ability to go Officer. PM if you have questions; I'm an Active and Reserve Army Recruiter (Detailed-NOT CAREER) in MI. I'll be more than happy to explain your options and the differences between the benefits.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have your Bachelors you need to go to OCS for the USAR. Trust me; USAREC is hurting like crazy for USAR Officers. Don't play around on the Enlisted USAR side if you have the ability to go Officer. PM if you have questions; I'm an Active and Reserve Army Recruiter (Detailed-NOT CAREER) in MI. I'll be more than happy to explain your options and the differences between the benefits.
View Quote

What he said.

To answer your question. A ground evac ambulance co would be used in a couple of different roles. First to help backfil gaps in the coverage plan in a ground maneuver BDE. We only have so many ambulances and battlefield geometry may make it difficult to cover all area. Second they would also be used to move patients from a BDE medical company or attached forward surgical team to a higher level hospital. In the reserve or guard they are also used in the disaster relief roles to help move patients.

Ground ambulances are still needed in modern combat since we are limited on MEDEVAC birds. In Iraq and Afghanistan there were few enough casualties and enough birds that patients could be moved relatively quickly. If we ever get into a scrap with a near peer there will not be enough MEDEVAC birds to go around.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the replies and the advice.  I have plans to go in as an enlisted person now and then apply to HSPS upon graduation (in 2 yrs). School starts in August for me so I do not believe I have time to apply and attend OCS.  

Thank you again for the advice and please keep it coming.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for the replies and the advice.  I have plans to go in as an enlisted person now and then apply to HSPS upon graduation (in 2 yrs). School starts in August for me so I do not believe I have time to apply and attend OCS.  

Thank you again for the advice and please keep it coming.
View Quote

So; do you then have the time for BCT (9.5 weeks plus the AIT time) for this?  BCT is going to happen for Active, USAR, or NG. OCS is 12 weeks, unsure of the AIT for the specific MOS you would do with a Ground Ambulance Company (could be a multitude of them) but likely at least 6+ weeks for an AIT. Don't trust a Recruiter that says you can just apply to OCS later. While true it will take a long time and you will likely regret your choice not to have pursued it prior. If you are set on going back to school then find the ROTC department at your school or the nearest one to your school and talk to them about a Masters program and doing ROTC (very possible; but you will be busy). Either way; if you have the means to earn a Commission right off the bat then try that route; if that doesn't work out then go Enlisted. No harm in trying.

I say all this one that has been in your shoes (sort of0. I Enlisted at 24 with my BS in CJ; tried for OCS in the beginning. And am now in the process of applying again (8yrs later; almost to the day). I am also a Detailed Army Recruiter. I try to give all the options available to applicants and let them decide. I couldn't care less if you choose Active or Reserve/ Enlisted or Officer. Neither changes my paycheck or my NCOER. Good luck and get all the options firsthand.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 2:19:28 AM EDT
[#5]
68W here. Got to Sam Houston around Nov. 26, and graduated April 3. 2 week break in the middle for Exodus. But, if you are already NR-EMT certified they will add you to a company about halfway done with training. The first 2.5-3 months if training is getting EMT-B certified.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Boy I wish you asked me first.  Was similar but including IFT in LAC and  Orange Co before HPSP.

Pm if you have questions
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:23:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Apologies if this is the wrong section...

I am enlisting next Friday for the Army Reserves as a 68W (I took the ASVAB today and scored a 95) and my recruiters are looking to put me in a ground ambulance company based around Dallas.  What is the role of ground ambulances in the Army and what kind of training opportunities are available?

Some background on me:

I currently work as an EMT in Los Angeles running 911 and IFT calls.  I have my bachelors in entertainment business and was just accepted to UT Dallas' second degree program as a Pre Med student.  I have taught CLS for the National Guard to soldiers, airmen, swat, and Nato forces for the last 2 years.

Thanks for the help.
View Quote

Well........ mosty sitting at a range just in case a medic is needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top