Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2013 3:33:24 PM EDT
I am hearing some crap that guys get combat patches, and combat pay for going to Africa. As in Djibouti and the like. Whats the deal?

I just looked it up. It is true. Very silly.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Imminent Danger and Hardship Duty pay.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am hearing some crap that guys get combat patches, and combat pay for going to Africa. As in Djibouti and the like. Whats the deal?

View Quote

True if your just staying in Djibouti but us Air Force types can fly places that are not so friendly.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

True if your just staying in Djibouti but us Air Force types can fly places that are not so friendly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention the guys with boots on the ground underneath those "not so friendly" skies.

Just because it isn't in Stars and Stripes, or on Fox News doesn't mean there are not people engaged in combat in the region.

Don't hate just because their Ops are blacker than yours.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Everyone I know that has gone had a blast. Civilian clothes and vehicles with non standard weapons and  per diem!
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not to mention the guys with boots on the ground underneath those "not so friendly" skies.

Just because it isn't in Stars and Stripes, or on Fox News doesn't mean there are not people engaged in combat in the region.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your right of course, i just wasn't going to speak for others, only myself. The guys i support are always in more danger than I ever am.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1000

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1000

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Lets not forget to mention the 4 guys that got tagged in an Osprey doing a civilian evacuation in Africa... No they don't deserve Combat pay and a patch. though most of those guys probably already earned numerous Combat Patches' a few times over; typically those guys give two fucks about a Combat Patch.  Maybe next time pull your head out of your ass before you post some dumb shit OP.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
It's not a combat patch. It's a Foreign Wartime Service patch. Combat gets a badge (CMB, CIB, or CAB).

Now, when I was on Camp Lemonnier I was about 8 miles from the Somali border. Yeah, that base isn't bad. But I deployed with Civil Affairs and wasn't always on Camp L. I spend time in Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, and there were plans for me to go to Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Uganda. Outside of Camp L. I usually had a 5 man team, and that was it. We wore civilian clothes to blend in/ not be viewed as military. In one part of Ethiopia we got about 10 infantrymen as force protection, and that was because of concerns about Al Shabaab and the Ogaden Liberation Front.

But I guess, despite going to 2 embassies that had been bombed by AQ (Dar Es Salaam and Nairobi), there is no danger in Africa. Slow clap for you, you figured it all out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's not a combat patch. It's a Foreign Wartime Service patch. Combat gets a badge (CMB, CIB, or CAB).

Now, when I was on Camp Lemonnier I was about 8 miles from the Somali border. Yeah, that base isn't bad. But I deployed with Civil Affairs and wasn't always on Camp L. I spend time in Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, and there were plans for me to go to Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Uganda. Outside of Camp L. I usually had a 5 man team, and that was it. We wore civilian clothes to blend in/ not be viewed as military. In one part of Ethiopia we got about 10 infantrymen as force protection, and that was because of concerns about Al Shabaab and the Ogaden Liberation Front.

But I guess, despite going to 2 embassies that had been bombed by AQ (Dar Es Salaam and Nairobi), there is no danger in Africa. Slow clap for you, you figured it all out.
View Quote

Like Button-clicked
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Butthurt POGS detected.

But I suppose you are right to some degree, the post preceded those guys getting shot. However your needlessly offended responses are for nothing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Not a POG and not butthurt either. Your OP was lacking an intelligent question. You got the correct answers; even if your post preceded the incident.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:47:52 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL.  Guy comes on and bitches about people being engaged in combat that is beyond his scope of knowledge.

Finds out that maybe people really are doing other things in other places.

Proceeds to call them butthurt pogs.

Classic
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I spent 2 years working out of Lemonier. Its a no shit combat tour unless you're a fobbit and "going outside the wire" means paying for some ethiopian trim at Club Hermes. In those years I visited 11 countries in Africa and drove through multiple wars usually in a hilux. Mali, South Sudan, Uganda, Ethiopa, Kenya... All are currently engaged in their own wars right now in the CJTF-HOA area. Even more if you look at AFRICOM as a whole. AFRICOM has more active shooting wars under its umbrella right now than any other COCOM

Lemonier was run by reserve units and had some odd balls like the "Old Guard" getting a deployment and the Guam national guard running the infantry school for african NCOs but really CJTF-HOA is one big USSOCOM/JSOC fuck-fuck party. Who do you think is killing motherfuckers in yemen? you think Obama does it from his ipad after he gets done giving geroge soros a blumpkin? fuck no, it's hard dicks from Lemonier doing that. Mutherfucking pirates catching bullet off the coast of somalia... NSW working out of Manda Bay. Know where they get their logistics? Lemonier.

Just because you don't know what the fuck you're talking about doesn't mean it isn't happening. I got another tidbit for you. When I left Africa in 2007 there were 150 FOBs in over a dozen countries.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:22:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok. I stand corrected. I was ignorant of the situation. I apologize if If displeased anyone.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I spent 2 years working out of Lemonier. Its a no shit combat tour unless you're a fobbit and "going outside the wire" means paying for some ethiopian trim at Club Hermes. In those years I visited 11 countries in Africa and drove through multiple wars usually in a hilux. Mali, South Sudan, Uganda, Ethiopa, Kenya... All are currently engaged in their own wars right now in the CJTF-HOA area. Even more if you look at AFRICOM as a whole. AFRICOM has more active shooting wars under its umbrella right now than any other COCOM

Lemonier was run by reserve units and had some odd balls like the "Old Guard" getting a deployment and the Guam national guard running the infantry school for african NCOs but really CJTF-HOA is one big USSOCOM/JSOC fuck-fuck party. Who do you think is killing motherfuckers in yemen? you think Obama does it from his ipad after he gets done giving geroge soros a blumpkin? fuck no, it's hard dicks from Lemonier doing that. Mutherfucking pirates catching bullet off the coast of somalia... NSW working out of Manda Bay. Know where they get their logistics? Lemonier.

Just because you don't know what the fuck you're talking about doesn't mean it isn't happening. I got another tidbit for you. When I left Africa in 2007 there were 150 FOBs in over a dozen countries.

Like button clicked (tiny blue thumbs up for you non-FB dino's out there)
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Led a team in Africa for a year, I wore battle rattle all the time and listened to much fighting outside of the town I was in, including RPGs, mortars, PKMs on a regular basis. I had seven soldiers, land cruisers and limited small arms. My tour in Africa was much more difficult than Iraq or Afghanistan because I had no QRF, no MEDEVAC and no air and if something happened it was up to us to figure it out. The plus side it was a great tour and and my soldiers got to see and do things they would never probably have another opportunity to do again.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Soooo.........if anyone is going to Africa and needs a good 38B let me know. Kinda bored here.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Soooo.........if anyone is going to Africa and needs a good 38B let me know. Kinda bored here.
View Quote

I know my Team Sergeant got on individual orders for some mission over there, you might look into that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#19]
edited
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a buddy who wanted to deploy with CA (another medic and I both had), so he found a phone list of CA units and started calling them up. He said who he was and what he brought to the table, and before long he was in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a buddy who wanted to deploy with CA (another medic and I both had), so he found a phone list of CA units and started calling them up. He said who he was and what he brought to the table, and before long he was in Afghanistan.
View Quote

The list comes out but the officers and admin always snatch up the slots!
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:47:12 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread speaks truth. I was on CA team in hoa down in Kenya mostly. I've probably met some of you guys in real life. There is a very real threat there. Africa is more qualified for hazard pay and SSI FWTS  than Kuwait or Bahrain. We had dudes all over the place in some of the sketchiest countries.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:24:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I want to go there so bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top