BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do what? Two of the COPs I was at were pretty laid back. At one there was like 29 of us and then just Afghans, we had Hawiian shirt days and wore civies when not on guard or patrol. The other wasn't as strict, but still had baseball cap Friday and Stetson Thursday (I was attached to the CAV)

PT Belts, we called them fag straps and they were not worn. Generally just big boy rules, though my CO did yell at me a time or two for wearing my baseball cap when it wasn't ball cap day.
View Quote

My (at the time) PSG would chew my ass for wearing my Harley hat just sitting on the step in front of my CHU. I wasn't walking around, I would just sit there and bum around or clean my weapon.

But our 1SG that lived just a few rows away would wear civvies all the time. He even told us to bring some civvie clothes and that we could wear them as long as you didn't leave the immediate area.
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Do what? Two of the COPs I was at were pretty laid back. At one there was like 29 of us and then just Afghans, we had Hawiian shirt days and wore civies when not on guard or patrol. The other wasn't as strict, but still had baseball cap Friday and Stetson Thursday (I was attached to the CAV)

PT Belts, we called them fag straps and they were not worn. Generally just big boy rules, though my CO did yell at me a time or two for wearing my baseball cap when it wasn't ball cap day.
View Quote

I meant the glow belts.

Being Navy, I didn't get fussed at too much (rank helps).  But after a week or so of seeing what my coworkers had to wear, I started to wear the equivant.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 2:26:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm on FOB Lindsey. (been here 2 months.......6 to go) I'm part of an LTAT team that mentors the ANA on logistics.

I only go to KAF if it absolutely can't be helped. Besides, the food is better over here!
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My (at the time) PSG would chew my ass for wearing my Harley hat just sitting on the step in front of my CHU. I wasn't walking around, I would just sit there and bum around or clean my weapon.

But our 1SG that lived just a few rows away would wear civvies all the time. He even told us to bring some civvie clothes and that we could wear them as long as you didn't leave the immediate area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I lived on Camp Wells at LNK we were allowed to wear pretty much whatever as soon as the sun went down.  Had enough random visits from authoritah during daylight that we were asked to keep it "reasonably uniform-related" during the day.  Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm on FOB Lindsey. (been here 2 months.......6 to go) I'm part of an LTAT team that mentors the ANA on logistics.

I only go to KAF if it absolutely can't be helped. Besides, the food is better over here!
View Quote

That's no kidding.

In 09 they had to put a clamp on the number of people from KAF who would find some excuse to run  over to Lindsey around dinner time.....

and KAF food was already better than what was being served over at the RTC where we were for a couple of months, or CNS where the Canadians put us up after that
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's no kidding.

In 09 they had to put a clamp on the number of people from KAF who would find some excuse to run  over to Lindsey around dinner time.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's no kidding.

I still can't wrap my mind around having ribeye steak and lobster tails every week.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I still can't wrap my mind around having ribeye steak and lobster tails every week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's no kidding.

For the record, there hasn't been lobster, at least at Monti DFAC, in at least three weeks and the steaks are terrible.  I asked for "medium" and I swear the damn thing was still mooing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

For the record, there hasn't been lobster, at least at Monti DFAC, in at least three weeks and the steaks are terrible.  I asked for "medium" and I swear the damn thing was still mooing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's no kidding.

That's the only way steak should be eaten
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of us that got steaks at KAF (Eaten from a mermite at work) the other night threw them out after
one attempt at a bite as they were overcooked and rubbery; I'm not really even sure that they came from a
cow....maybe an abused elderly camel.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Know a really pretty black girl named CPT Stephens? (I think she's been promoted by now..?)
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Most of us that got steaks at KAF (Eaten from a mermite at work) the other night threw them out after one attempt at a bite as they were overcooked and rubbery; I'm not really even sure that they came from a cow....maybe an abused elderly camel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of us that got steaks at KAF (Eaten from a mermite at work) the other night threw them out after one attempt at a bite as they were overcooked and rubbery; I'm not really even sure that they came from a cow....maybe an abused elderly camel.

When we get mermites, I think they're from Independence.  Marginally better than Monti.  Everyone says that Niagara is better, but I can't tell the difference and it's much more crowded.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 2:56:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I've done my run here, tomorrow we head for the RSOI's. Can't wait to leave this place, pretty much all of the above is true, the best place that I have been to is OZZY. We just left there, food was the best, rival restaurants back home. No internet, unless you use the MWR, even that isn't that bad, cell service sucked, but they have that covered as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've done my run here, tomorrow we head for the RSOI's. Can't wait to leave this place, pretty much all of the above is true, the best place that I have been to is OZZY. We just left there, food was the best, rival restaurants back home. No internet, unless you use the MWR, even that isn't that bad, cell service sucked, but they have that covered as well.
View Quote

Try not to mess the RSOI's up too bad, we will be in them again (stayed there briefly on the way in) not too long after you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Try not to mess the RSOI's up too bad, we will be in them again (stayed there briefly on the way in) not too long after you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Testicles on everything.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Now, would one soldier do that to another, really????????????????  

Answer, Foxtrot Yankee! That is why I am bringing my own bedding as usual............
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 1:08:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
KAF is awful.

It's over crowded, every swinging dick has an NTV so its a goddamn dust bowl even on non-dusty days. The NATO chowhalls are fucking disgusting. It's rice, and something to put on rice... EVERY FUCKING DAY. The supposedly "American style" chowhall serves a hamburger patty along side the same old gruel as the other DFACs. It is full of asshole eurofags who think they are the pointy tip of the spear and the roads have gone to shit in the last few years.

It really went to shit when the Canadians left. They kept that place in good shape.
View Quote

Oh, but wait!!!  NTV problem solved:  parking around the main PX, Niagra, Luxembourg (meh, but who eats there, anyway?) and Boardwalk now restricted; you must park a block away and walk in.

Law of uninteded consequences:  we now drive 10x as far and eat at the Northline...that is until they restrict parking there.

I guess the good news is they are about to drop to only one or two hot meals per day.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now, would one soldier do that to another, really????????????????  

Answer, Foxtrot Yankee! That is why I am bringing my own bedding as usual............
View Quote

My plan is to throw away my sheets and blankets when we move to the RSOI's and just sleep in my sleeping bag the rest of the tour including the time at Ft Hood for demob.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#18]
The mattress I am sleeping on is like sleeping on rocks. the bed frames are weak and are almost ready to fall apart. I have spent better nights sleeping in my turret.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My plan is to throw away my sheets and blankets when we move to the RSOI's and just sleep in my sleeping bag the rest of the tour including the time at Ft Hood for demob.
View Quote

I had no desire to drag sheets or other bedding back to the states. Demobbing as an individual meant that I dragged all my gear back with me. No connex, just me, 4 duffels, an assault pack, ruck, etc.
It also meant I was stuck on Ft Bragg alone over a Thanksgiving Day 4 day weekend when the whole place shut down.
That was OK though, as my brother came over from Charlotte and we caught up on a couple years worth of back history
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I had no desire to drag sheets or other bedding back to the states. Demobbing as an individual meant that I dragged all my gear back with me. No connex, just me, 4 duffels, an assault pack, ruck, etc.
It also meant I was stuck on Ft Bragg alone over a Thanksgiving Day 4 day weekend when the whole place shut down.
That was OK though, as my brother came over from Charlotte and we caught up on a couple years worth of back history
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thankfully one of the [very] few sane things my unit has done here is to publish a list of things we will have to turn in at Ft Hood.  Anything not on that list or relevant to my comfort and survival is getting mailed home before we leave country.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thankfully one of the [very] few sane things my unit has done here is to publish a list of things we will have to turn in at Ft Hood.  Anything not on that list or relevant to my comfort and survival is getting mailed home before we leave country.
View Quote

I got a list like that at some point, but I think it was very close to the end of my time in country.
One nice thing about being stuck with the Canadians on CNS around the mid-point of my second year was being able to mail stuff back through their postal system. Not quite as cheap as going through the post office at KAF, but less BS about what could be mailed back.
If I hadn't been able to send stuff back that way I would have had even more stuff to haul back on my own and probably would have had to abandon a bit of stuff....
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

technically that's available to anyone with AKO access.  and this is a chair force puke that's pointing that out.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 2:49:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

technically that's available to anyone with AKO access.  and this is a chair force puke that's pointing that out.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had that same list (off "my clothing" from AKO) physically in hand before I went and asked, trust me.  I just needed to make sure reality matched reality.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:35:55 AM EDT
[#24]
OEF guys,

There's an ALARACT from 2012 that says CIF is supposed to remove the MC's from your clothing record at no charge/FLIPL.  This will prevent you from having to turn them in upon ETS (CIF changed the PCS/ETS portions).  Unfortunately, it does not extend to OIF.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Just a few more days and it's all over! Bags will be palatalized, get on the plane, short lay over and homeward bound!!!!!  No more KAF, bum, bum, bum, hey ,hey, heeeey GOOD BYE!  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just a few more days and it's all over! Bags will be palatalized, get on the plane, short lay over and homeward bound!!!!!  No more KAF, bum, bum, bum, hey ,hey, heeeey GOOD BYE!  
View Quote

Damn you.  Still stuck here a couple more months.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Day by day my friend.........
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks like I'm headed back... things still looking pretty decent in KAF?

Is Kandahar Fresh Deli still on the boardwalk making "acceptable" pizza's?

FWIW, I'll be dining at Lindsey most of the time but a little comfort food is still nice to have...

Did they finish things up in "Deep South" where all the new construction was going on? Most of the roads paved now? That was the thing I hated most about KAF, the gravel roads that were a night-mare in rainy season (pot-holes of unknown depth) and nasty dust in the dry season.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#29]
No, it pretty well still sucks.  On the bright side, I am almost out of here.

Kandahar Fresh Deli is still there, although the Boardwalk is losing a couple stores a month so its days may be numbered.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

FWIW, I'll be dining at Lindsey most of the time but a little comfort food is still nice to have...

Did they finish things up in "Deep South" where all the new construction was going on? Most of the roads paved now? That was the thing I hated most about KAF, the gravel roads that were a night-mare in rainy season (pot-holes of unknown depth) and nasty dust in the dry season.
View Quote

Bonk2029 is right about the Boardwalk, just got here a week ago and things have changed allot since last time. Just got the word that 4 of 7 DFAC's will be closing soon (don't know which ones yet), in the next few weeks the post office is moving. The main roads are paved but several have been closed off to traffic so will have to walk allot. Can no longer drive or park across from the boardwalk or BX.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Bonk2029 is right about the Boardwalk, just got here a week ago and things have changed allot since last time. Just got the word that 4 of 7 DFAC's will be closing soon (don't know which ones yet), in the next few weeks the post office is moving. The main roads are paved but several have been closed off to traffic so will have to walk allot. Can no longer drive or park across from the boardwalk or BX.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch... I'm not terribly worried about the DFACs as long as Lindsey's DFAC is still there...

I'll just live with it no matter what happens...

I assume they completed the project to get rid of poo pond? ECP5 still the main ECP?

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#32]
nothing but rain the past couple days. all you see is lakes everywhere. can't go out at night without a pt belt and within the past couple days you will now get a ticket if even in uniform you must display your id at all times
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
nothing but rain the past couple days. all you see is lakes everywhere. can't go out at night without a pt belt and within the past couple days you will now get a ticket if even in uniform you must display your id at all times
View Quote

You should see the moat around the RSOI's.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Poo Pond is still there, although it was almost empty until this latest tsunami.

Affirmative on ECP5.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

PT belt AND clear eyepro at night, or at least that's what I was told when I went through there a couple of months back. Its bad when I'd rather be on Leatherneck than at KAF.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#36]
And it's about to get even more silly. As this place shrinks and the brass gets even more jumpy about possibly having the last OEF casualty on their watch, stand by for the idiocy to multiply.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And it's about to get even more silly. As this place shrinks and the brass gets even more jumpy about possibly having the last OEF casualty on their watch, stand by for the idiocy to multiply.
View Quote

Great I will be there end of the month or first week March.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 12:01:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha, get ready for the suck brother. I left in Dec.....that place will wear down your soul.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hahaha, get ready for the suck brother. I left in Dec.....that place will wear down your soul.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey at least that massively overpriced German tac shop is still in busibess.  For now.

/sarcasm
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), the powers that be have said we (our group specifically) will be some of the very last people to leave that country... so as most people draw down and endure the suck a while before they pull out, we will endure it for the long-haul... Thanks for the updated info guys...
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 4:32:08 AM EDT
[#41]
by any chance anybody from the 82'nd getting ready to go to kaf?
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Edited to avoid self incrimination.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#43]
higher up's put out to the whole company no boardwalk past 2200 because of the hookers and drugs. besides getting a dvd or something sewn that place suxxx.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Sounds like an interesting (for lack of a better term) place. I wanted to check in on this thread, my brother is at Kandahar currently with the 4ID. To anyone there now, stay safe and thanks for serving.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for info and I am not going to be trying to chase some ass while I am there. We are going as 4th ID's SFA team so I plan on trying to staying busy doing that and just staying to myself and try not to let the stupid bother.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I am here right now and it sucks, still have about 3.5 months to go. Haven't seen anything on hookers or drugs at the boardwalk after 2200 but then again not looking for it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Damn... just found out Lindsey DFAC is closing down in a couple weeks. Looks like they'll be opening the old DFAC back up on my camp... Should still be good food, but won't have a huge window of time to go to chow. Lindsey is a ghost-town from what I've heard...
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Damn... just found out Lindsey DFAC is closing down in a couple weeks. Looks like they'll be opening the old DFAC back up on my camp... Should still be good food, but won't have a huge window of time to go to chow. Lindsey is a ghost-town from what I've heard...
View Quote

I was just there a couple days ago, and it does look much emptier than it was over the summer.  I didn't hear anything about the DFAC.

Ask me sometime about how I got banned from Far East DFAC on KAF.  It'll have to wait until I am out of here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#49]
And......I am outta here.

Fuck KAF.

You guys still stuck there be safe.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Everything Hawkeye said plus it's hot and the food pretty much sux...it's the worst in theater thanks so some general somewhere who decided to cater (pun intended) to our coalition partners who a) didn't want to pay then KBR now DI prices for good food and b) most of whom are no longer around...go figure.

OK, rant off.
View Quote

... Oh you were serious.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top