Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hope it's not as bad as you all say. I'll be there early tomorrow morning. I've been to leatherneck in 2010 for 5 months so this shouldn't be any worse.
View Quote

Well not going to bullshit you. This place sucks and full of fucking fobbits that don't have fucking clue as to what is going on. I don't even think 75% of the people here have a real job all they do is work out in the gym hang out in the MWR or their rooms until it is time to go eat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#2]
wow thats some crazy shit!!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Retrograde.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Huh.  Didn't know so many ARFcommers were here.  May have to have a board meeting sometime.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Huh.  Didn't know so many ARFcommers were here.  May have to have a board meeting sometime.
View Quote

No kidding.

Any of you guys get through Kabul, let me know.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No kidding.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.

You're there now?  I was up at KAIA until two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.

Been at KAIA since Feb.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
DAMMIT!!!   I got there in December.  Wish I had known that, we could have gotten together for some Thai food.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
DAMMIT!!!   I got there in December.  Wish I had known that, we could have gotten together for some Thai food.
View Quote

I'll be here till about the end of the year, so let me know if you come back through.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I am still here and will be until November or December. I work out of RC-S compound in the MILCON-2 building incase any of you want to get together for lunch or something.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Any gouge or tips on life at KAIA?  I see they have the same saluting rules that KAF had (GOs only).  

How is the vibe there?  Lots of BS rules or is it manageable?  Is laundry contracted out or is it self-help?

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Any gouge or tips on life at KAIA?  I see they have the same saluting rules that KAF had (GOs only).  

How is the vibe there?  Lots of BS rules or is it manageable?  Is laundry contracted out or is it self-help?

View Quote

It's not that bad overall, relatively low stress level, due to the fact that it's a NATO base, not an Army base, so very few BS games.

Laundry is both contracted and self help, though the self help has been temporarily closed due to some difficulties. You coming to KAIA?

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Though my experience with the contracted laundry was not the most satisfactory. Quick service (usually 24hr return), but all they seem to do is run your clothes through hot water.  My OCPs look like I've been wearing them forever, and they're only six months old. My PT shorts look like I bleached them.

I had to buy the three-in-one laundry sheets and put them in a pocket to get my clothes to actually smell clean.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Though my experience with the contracted laundry was not the most satisfactory. Quick service (usually 24hr return), but all they seem to do is run your clothes through hot water.  My OCPs look like I've been wearing them forever, and they're only six months old. My PT shorts look like I bleached them.

I had to buy the three-in-one laundry sheets and put them in a pocket to get my clothes to actually smell clean.
View Quote

Yeah I know, I have not had any problems with contracted laundry yet thankfully. I really never use the self washers and driers due to the all the damn Romanians and Slovakians taking them all up all day and night. They hang out at those things like its a fucking club or something. They will also just go in and take your shit and throw it on top of a washer or something and leave instead of waiting. There have already been some heated arguments with those assholes.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Im on the north side 15-16 hours a day. We could have that board meeting on yankee ramp, or the blue line. If you guys over here need some flags flown let me know.
Anyone know how elcope is doing after this mornings fun?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Im on the north side 15-16 hours a day. We could have that board meeting on yankee ramp, or the blue line. If you guys over here need some flags flown let me know.
View Quote

Doing OK, it just got a little noisy.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what you are talking about. When I am in the office I can barley hear anything except the fighter when they take off but it is still not that loud.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad to hear that elcope.
Ghost swing on over to where the "Drones" are. If you got time i will give you a little tour.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who are you here with? I'm on yankee ramp too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Glad to hear that elcope.
Ghost swing on over to where the "Drones" are. If you got time i will give you a little tour.
View Quote

Yeah will try. I am tying up things with my ANA counter parts and then I get to act like and advise the ANP.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:55:29 AM EDT
[#21]
BRD im with the .mil Reapers.
Totally understandable Ghost.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:27:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I get the chance I will get by there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small world, me too. What shift do you work?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

6 to 6. What shift are you on. What flight are you in?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work 6-6 as well. Im AGE.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#26]
hey, I am being recruited to work at the ASP, so whats the Story with the KAF right now, I here a lot about the drawdown, and a lot of stuff being torn down,  how is it overall? was in Iraq at camp anaconda back in 04-05, and it wasn't bad, comm kind of sucked, PX were nothing special, GYM's were decent.  any insight would be appreciated

thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What a waste
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, Lindsey is all ANA now. Shut down and turned over to them.

What a waste

Agreed. I lived there for 8 months of my life. It was so much nicer than KAF.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We just have to look over the hesco barrier to see it... there is nobody there anymore... They went through, ransacked it, sold everything of value off, and the buildings just sit there empty now, like some sort of post-apocalyptic FEMA camp that was abandoned... it's really depressing...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah no shit some of the guys that lived over there that I work with told me about it. My team lives on KAF but we go to Hero all the time doing our thing.

We just have to look over the hesco barrier to see it... there is nobody there anymore... They went through, ransacked it, sold everything of value off, and the buildings just sit there empty now, like some sort of post-apocalyptic FEMA camp that was abandoned... it's really depressing...

I'd really like to see the "after" pictures.....

I left the first week in Feb 2013......right before the DFAC closed down and everyone moved back to Lindsey II. I haven't heard a thing about all that played out....but I sure would like to know!
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#29]
My little corner of FOB Lindsey:

It was the tallest structure on the Base......and, by far, the nicest living conditions!

I'm Navy....but was in a joint unit with a lot of Air Force (and Army).....

....and they certainly know how to live!
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s33.photobucket.com/user/paulky_2000/media/paulky_2000047/IMG_59731_zpsb9ac9d94.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/paulky_2000/paulky_2000047/IMG_59731_zpsb9ac9d94.jpg</a>

It was the tallest structure on the Base......and, by far, the nicest living conditions!

View Quote

They look a bit crooked
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
hey, I am being recruited to work at the ASP, so whats the Story with the KAF right now, I here a lot about the drawdown, and a lot of stuff being torn down,  how is it overall? was in Iraq at camp anaconda back in 04-05, and it wasn't bad, comm kind of sucked, PX were nothing special, GYM's were decent.  any insight would be appreciated

thanks
View Quote

Interested as well.  Was there 11-12 and wondered what it was like now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I left the first week in Feb 2013......right before the DFAC closed down and everyone moved back to Lindsey II. I haven't heard a thing about all that played out....but I sure would like to know!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Last I saw it (June '14) it looked "mostly the same" on the exterior of the buildings but it was a ghost-town. Just a few ANA guys stayed there to keep watch on things...

Quoted:

<a href="http://s33.photobucket.com/user/paulky_2000/media/paulky_2000047/IMG_59731_zpsb9ac9d94.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/paulky_2000/paulky_2000047/IMG_59731_zpsb9ac9d94.jpg</a>

I'm pretty sure the ANA guys keeping watch over Lindsey use that wood structure as their evening hang out and smoke spot. They can be seen up there at night with lit cigarettes etc. I can neither confirm nor deny that the SF guys on Simmons now use that structure as a target for golf-balls dipped in cyalume goo for night-time shenanigans.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm just finishing up three plus months at KAF. the Boardwalk is down to just three shops and three food vendors, we are down to three DFACS; Far East, Niagara and North Line. The USO has moved and all personnel are moving into or very near the Mods. I just got out of the homeless shelter (ROSI) after three plus weeks there myself.

Good thing I leave shortly...it's time to kill something...like hogs and coyotes in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#34]
What happened to the Pizza Hut and chicken place Dow in Southpark near the 45SB AO?  That DFAC closed too and the one in the Old Marine compound gone as well? Damn....
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What happened to the Pizza Hut and chicken place Dow in Southpark near the 45SB AO?  That DFAC closed too and the one in the Old Marine compound gone as well? Damn....
View Quote

Wasn't there a burger king there too?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and yes. With the draw down the population is 1/5 of what it was two years ago.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/paulky_2000/paulky_2000047/IMG_59731_zpsb9ac9d94.jpg

View Quote

umm, a question: Is FOB Lindsey the American area of the Afghan base, Camp Shir Zai?

I googled some pictures, recognized the old cannons by the flag...

Anyway. Nathaniel "Brad" Lindsey was a good friend. We served as ETTs together with the 205th.  

Random surfing on ARFCOM, and a very bad day comes back.

Brad and another Soldier died that day. I feel bad because I cannot, right at the moment, remember the other guys name. He was a replacement/transfer who had been transferred in a day or two before.

I was the one that received the messages as I was acting as the RTO in the TOC that day.

At first, we thought it was garbled traffic, and that there was only one casualty.

Alas, it was two.

Not to bring the thread down. But seeing the name brought back a lot.

On a good note, all of Brad's kids are doing GREAT.

Thanks for reading

RIP Brad

ETA: his name was Mike Fuga, from Samoa

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Isn't Lindsey next to KAF?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Camp Shir Zai (Hero in Pashtun) was the Afghan base where we were. at the time, 06-07, there might have been 30 of us there. we had a little corner of the 205th Kandak's home base.

If FOB Lindsey is the same place, then yes, it's vey near KAF.

There was talk of naming it. Naming it at all, not just the American area at Shir Zai. When Brad was killed they talked about naming it after him.

In fact, this would be the second base named after him, although possibly the first one officially.  The FOB he was going to changed it's name, at least unofficially, to Lindsey.

Brad was an odd looking but very well liked dude.  I remember teasing him, asking if he was related to the banjo player in Deliverance.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Oasis, and Monti DFAC.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Next to? It's nearby, but they are not connected. ~1 mile drive between them... As stated, it used to be the American part of Camp Hero (large ANA camp near KAF)
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#42]
The Monti was the best. Oh well, Northline here I come.
Left in Oct 14. Going back short notice this month.
There are worse places to be.
Anyone need anything, PM me.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Next to? It's nearby, but they are not connected. ~1 mile drive between them... As stated, it used to be the American part of Camp Hero (large ANA camp near KAF)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only photo I could find of Lindsay.  This is crossing that river about 500 yards from the front gate.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Burger King and Pizza Hut closed down when "Big Stan" said the troops were getting too soft. The American fast food packed up and left and they were taken over by 3rd parties. I think the BK turned into a mall food court type fried food joint where you could get fried shrimp baskets and the pizza hut was turned into a gyro place or some shit. I forget. It's been awhile.

I know the changes from 2010 to 2012 were dramatic. I spent all of 2011 not in AFG and when I got back to KAF in 2012 it was worse than ever. That place sucked balls for a decade but it was it's nicest when the Canadians were in charge.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I was there living in Southpark with 2ID. To me the 82nd and then 3ID DivHq sucked the life out of the place. 2011-2012
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#46]
2012-13
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#47]
yes the dam crazy goats. I watched a goat kick the shit out out of a little afganie. Held bad for the kid so I throw him a pop tart.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I was there living in Southpark with 2ID. To me the 82nd and then 3ID DivHq sucked the life out of the place. 2011-2012
View Quote

I was there for the handover between 3ID and 4ID in 2013.  The place felt slightly, just a little, saner once 4ID took over.  Not much, but some.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow. Big changes just in 4.5 months. For the better I think.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Been a while since this thread saw an update. What with all of the "we're leaving" " No we aren't!" back and forth on US policy, how are things looking over there now? is it less of a ghost town these days than was described earlier?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top