Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2011 10:49:44 AM EDT
So I'll be heading there for nine months next year. Never been there, and wondering what the general consensus is about the place.

What is there to do? What stupid rules do I have to find a way to get around?

Anything that is a good heads up is appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been there as a contractor passing through... depending on where you'll be working it's not that bad. Compared to the rest of the bases in the desert, you're in a crown jewel.

There are a couple of bars there and you're able to drink if that's your desire. MWR has some stuff going on there... I don't know exactly how much since the govt underwent a coup recently, but hey, it's cool.

Dress warm. It snows.

Of course, there's the stupid reflective belt rule you have to follow.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#2]
24 hr nachos in the chow hall. I say again 24 hr nachos. Free. Plus lots of fat food like Reese cups in the DFAC. Low threat and the guys I talked to on my way thru there said they got hazardous duty pay and tax free status. That was Feb 2011. It's pretty small though and I imagine it would get boring. I wouldn't mind being bored there for 9 months though. Lots of AF chicks there.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#3]
It beats Kuwait. Small, good food, beer, Air Force chicks, off post excursions....whats not to like?
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Last time I went through I noticed the Air Force had a desk Sgt. in the MWR.

So Im guessing Manas is one of those places where we could start the budget cuts.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Hog heaven. Essentially you're in garrison, it's cold as fuck, but it's cake.

Been through there twice, once for a week and once for two weeks.

(Cake accommodations wise, I don't know what the work is like, I do know a lot of the loading unloading of bags is done by traveling through unit personnel.)

Oh, they have a Hooter's -esque bar, with real live alcoholic drinks, and sexy, sloppy, AF girls.

lucky bastard.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I passed through there twice, stayed about a week both times.  Compared to what I'm used to, it seemed like paradise.  I'm sure it would get boring, but it has some really nice stuff on base.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 4:28:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I would spend nine months there
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Almost had a KBR contracting gig there. Fell through at the last minute.
You can drink alcohol!!!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#9]
24hr Greenbeens and defac... not bad but not great PX. A Bar!, weekly poker tournaments Airforce Chicks...hot local women who work on post, internet, AC, Heat...free candy!
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#10]
My unit took our ID's so we couldn't drink booze on the way out.  I really enjoyed the big bottles of whole milk there though.

OP, they have white water rafting trips you can take there, it should be a breeze.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]
For starters, it is a transit center, not a base.

The Russians don't want us to have a base in Kyrgyzstan.

So, we don't call it one.  

Magic.

Don't know if they let you guys out, but Bishkek is a great city, and the mountains are to die for.  The only way you could get bored in Kyrgyzstan is if the military forces you to live there like it's a prison camp.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Magic.

Don't know if they let you guys out, but Bishkek is a great city, and the mountains are to die for.  The only way you could get bored in Kyrgyzstan is if the military force you to live there like it's a prison camp.

It was only renamed a transit center in 09, prior to that it was a base.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magic.

Don't know if they let you guys out, but Bishkek is a great city, and the mountains are to die for.  The only way you could get bored in Kyrgyzstan is if the military force you to live there like it's a prison camp.

It was only renamed a transit center in 09, prior to that it was a base.

Gotta love it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the heads up guys, I'm used to cold weather fortunately. I spent two of my 3 AD years in WI.

As for the boring part of my life, I'll be doing customs to start, but will do my damnedest to finagle my way into actually doing medic stuff at some point.

And hopefully I'll be able to go off post, I would love to get up in the mountains out there.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't forget about the $20 full body massages by the Russian chicks near the Green bean. As an Infantry guy, passing through there was awesome, except for staying in the 300 person hangar barracks.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't forget about the $20 full body massages by the Russian chicks near the Green bean. As an Infantry guy, passing through there was awesome, except for staying in the 300 person hangar barracks.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Ditto to what everyone else said.  Cush assignment, decent weather(I like the cold), skanky russian type chicks, beer for people that live there, and lots of AF chicks.  Everyone working there is scared of weapons.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As an Infantry guy, passing through there was awesome, except for staying in the 300 person hangar barracks.

Conveniently filled with 300 obnoxious Army guys who would make noise at all hours of the day/night and didn't care that other people were trying to sleep.  Pretty standard for any transit base, really.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As an Infantry guy, passing through there was awesome, except for staying in the 300 person hangar barracks.

Conveniently filled with 300 obnoxious Army guys who would make noise at all hours of the day/night and didn't care that other people were trying to sleep.  Pretty standard for any transit base, really.

Shit. that's hard to believe.... all the Army guys I know where the most considerate guys who'd ever meet.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the 2.5 weeks i spent there it was pretty quiet in the tents...except for the night a troop woke up screaming like someone was trying to kill him

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I was in those clamshells in July .....boy that sucked

but hey not to rehash all that was said above I would do 9 months there!

sure beats helmand province!

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit. that's hard to believe.... all the Army guys I know where the most considerate guys who'd ever meet.

Well, to be fair, it seemed to be one platoon-sized unit that was making most of the noise in the middle of the night.  Even worse was they kept trying to turn the lights on while also being noisy.  So I guess 270 nice guys, and 30 obnoxious ones.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll let you know how it is, I will be there next week ON THE WAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I was there for four months a few years back.  I ran Pete's Place (hard gig, I know), and we ran alot of different things for people:  Texas Hold'em, Bingo, Spades, Dominos, Karaoke, tons of movies, and more.  

There are tons of hikes and tours off base, you can go downtown, though after visiting Bishkek once I was good for the rest of my tour there.  I was just waiting for a James Bond or Jason Bourne car chase, it had the old Russian cold war vibe.  One of the hikes I went on looked like something straight out of The Sounds of Music.  If you're into photography, there will be plenty of chances for you.

The gym wasn't too bad, and the BX is adequate.  The chow hall was great, blows this FOB's chow hall out of the water: custom omelets, tons of snacks, and a pretty decent variety of food.

If you want to be active you can volunteer with community outreach and visit some of the local villages.  We showed 'The Incredibles' (in Russian) to the town and gave out drinks and snacks and all the kids and their parents absolutely loved it.  Some of our guys then played soccer for awhile with the locals before we went back.

Basically, it's what you make of it.  You can be one of those who sits in his room, playing video games, or hanging at Pete's place and hang out with some friends, or even make new friends.  They have an Ed Center so you can work on your degree too.

Hope this helps, if you need more specifics let me know :)

- Obi
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

the 2.5 weeks i spent there it was pretty quiet in the tents...except for the night a troop woke up screaming like someone was trying to kill him

+1
Transit tents were pretty behaved.  Just the snoring.

Manas was a very nice pit stop.

I can only imagine having a 1 or 2 man room to yourself like permanent party.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Transit tents were pretty behaved.  Just the snoring.

Manas was a very nice pit stop.

I can only imagine having a 1 or 2 man room to yourself like permanent party.

What is this room you speak of?

I only know of platoon bays and bigger.

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#27]
While I was PP there we had a two person room with a communal bathroom/shower.  The rooms were tiny, just big enough for two beds, two dressers, and two desks, but it was better than the transient tents, and i can't even imagine sleeping in the 300+ person tents.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I would volunteer for a Manas deployment in a heartbeat...it's like Kuwait but with girls, beer and no desert.  Ok, so totally unlike Kuwait
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I did two tours there with the Air Force.  The first tour was an office job and a plain clothes protection gig for the base commander.  That tour took me off base 3 to 4 times a week and I got to spend alot of time with the locals and the watering holes and eating establishments.  In otherwords, I had a blast over there.  I went fishing, hiking, horseback riding, and got to shoot all kinds of guns while I was there.

The second tour was with the AF Security Forces and it fucking sucked.  The freedoms we enjoyed in 2005 were long gone in 2010.  Reflective belts every where you went, Uniform Police were rampant.  God forbid your shirt came untucked in the middle of your set in the gym, you would get told about yourself by an underemployed E9.  I don't know what it is but I think the Air Force has some weird notion they are a part of the military or something.

The Kyrgyz were becomming a real pain in the ass to deal with and I think in more than one instance I think they tried baiting us a few times to try to shake our govt down or try to evict us.  The Russians were always up to no good.  They were always overflying us with SU25's and Mi-8 helos.  As stated before, they don't want us there.  Watch what you do around the Kyrgyz, they are a shifty bunch.

Also, if you see something in the BX you might like, BUY IT!  It won't be there the second after you pass it by.

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#30]
It seemed like a pretty decent place when i passed thru a few 4 months ago.  We really didnt get to enjoy any of the bars and such mentioned above but it being ur station should be easy 9 months.  I heard a rumor we wouldn't be going thru on the way back because it was closing...from a few people.  Any truth to this?
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:10:10 AM EDT
[#31]
The closing rumor has been going around since I was there the first time in 2005.  All that means is the Kyrgyz want more money.  That base pumps a shit ton of money into their economy.  They will really screw themselves if they boot us out before we totally withdraw from Afganistan.  But, the new president has stated he wants us gone.  The Russians have been promising them some major foreign aid if they can get us out.  But we all know how the Russians are.  There is a new transit base I heard that has opened, so you never know.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'll let you know how it is, I will be there next week ON THE WAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, no shibby. I'm gonna be going through there in about 2.5 weeks. Going home as well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The closing rumor has been going around since I was there the first time in 2005.  All that means is the Kyrgyz want more money.  That base pumps a shit ton of money into their economy.  They will really screw themselves if they boot us out before we totally withdraw from Afganistan.  But, the new president has stated he wants us gone.  The Russians have been promising them some major foreign aid if they can get us out.  But we all know how the Russians are.  There is a new transit base I heard that has opened, so you never know.

The rumor then made sense, they had promised the Russians they would kick us out.  

That's why it is no longer a "base."  see, the Russians said they didn't want a US base there.  So, now there is a US transit center there.

The current rumor makes no sense.  2014 is what even the current Kyrgyz president has been saying since the campaign.  There is no talk about asking us to close up shop earlier.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Was just there last week.  It was cold but +1 on all of the above.  If you go get a massage, ask for Natasha!
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 3:02:51 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm currently deployed to Manas TC if anyone has any questions.

It was -24*C yesterday (that's like -11*F for those freedom lovers).
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 3:45:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

HOLY FUCK!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Meh..... I saw colder than that in WI.

But how's the general atmosphere around there?
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Do yourself a favor and see the country when you can.  At least get down to Bishkek.

English is widely taught there, you'd be surprised how many people speak it somewhat.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I can't add much to the information here, but if it were between Ali and Manas, there would be no hesitation in choosing Manas.  Was only a transient at both, but the ability to have a drink after duty hours puts that place pretty high on my list.  Not to mention the standard gym/mwr/AF chicks...
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I passed through there in August.  The people were friendly.  Chow was awesome.  No beer authorized under General order

We didnt have any issue with Joes stealing from one another in the transient tents and people left laptops and phones out to charge.  The porta John humor was even worth the read.  My personal favorites ," Ladies, prepare to finally be beautiful... Were going to war". And in a near by Porta John, "Ladies, prepare to be ugly again.... were going home"

Transient tents in Bagram werent as nice.  My squad leader had his Iphone jacked from under his rack while he was sleeping.  Shady.  We had the French Forign Legion in our tents.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Manas was awesome. The running trail just outside the gate is cool, decent gym, there is actual scenery, cool Russian type buildings at the entrance, and a general atmosphere of "yeah, we're going to war!" or "yeah, we're going home!"
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#42]
That place is a resort. Beautiful gangus kahn women. Awesome food. A bar!
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I spent 6 months there this place summer and it was great (AF side of the house).  Should be much diff. for you Army guys that are permanent party.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top