Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/9/2011 11:01:19 PM
Originally Posted By Sylvan:
Originally Posted By Cpatterson:

Originally Posted By cmdrstask:
Originally Posted By telsonman:
As an Infantry guy, passing through there was awesome, except for staying in the 300 person hangar barracks.

Conveniently filled with 300 obnoxious Army guys who would make noise at all hours of the day/night and didn't care that other people were trying to sleep. Pretty standard for any transit base, really.
the 2.5 weeks i spent there it was pretty quiet in the tents...except for the night a troop woke up screaming like someone was trying to kill him

+1
Transit tents were pretty behaved. Just the snoring.

Manas was a very nice pit stop.

I can only imagine having a 1 or 2 man room to yourself like permanent party.

What is this room you speak of?

I only know of platoon bays and bigger.

Membership provided by VRMN8R
neofreak05
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2011 2:10:42 AM
While I was PP there we had a two person room with a communal bathroom/shower. The rooms were tiny, just big enough for two beds, two dressers, and two desks, but it was better than the transient tents, and i can't even imagine sleeping in the 300+ person tents.
Phocks
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2011 1:12:32 AM
I would volunteer for a Manas deployment in a heartbeat...it's like Kuwait but with girls, beer and no desert. Ok, so totally unlike Kuwait
"If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him." - Cardinal Richelieu
DefensorFortis
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2011 11:38:06 AM
I did two tours there with the Air Force. The first tour was an office job and a plain clothes protection gig for the base commander. That tour took me off base 3 to 4 times a week and I got to spend alot of time with the locals and the watering holes and eating establishments. In otherwords, I had a blast over there. I went fishing, hiking, horseback riding, and got to shoot all kinds of guns while I was there.

The second tour was with the AF Security Forces and it fucking sucked. The freedoms we enjoyed in 2005 were long gone in 2010. Reflective belts every where you went, Uniform Police were rampant. God forbid your shirt came untucked in the middle of your set in the gym, you would get told about yourself by an underemployed E9. I don't know what it is but I think the Air Force has some weird notion they are a part of the military or something.

The Kyrgyz were becomming a real pain in the ass to deal with and I think in more than one instance I think they tried baiting us a few times to try to shake our govt down or try to evict us. The Russians were always up to no good. They were always overflying us with SU25's and Mi-8 helos. As stated before, they don't want us there. Watch what you do around the Kyrgyz, they are a shifty bunch.

Also, if you see something in the BX you might like, BUY IT! It won't be there the second after you pass it by.

dRiZzLe3
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2011 2:58:15 AM
It seemed like a pretty decent place when i passed thru a few 4 months ago. We really didnt get to enjoy any of the bars and such mentioned above but it being ur station should be easy 9 months. I heard a rumor we wouldn't be going thru on the way back because it was closing...from a few people. Any truth to this?
DefensorFortis
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/13/2011 6:10:10 AM
The closing rumor has been going around since I was there the first time in 2005. All that means is the Kyrgyz want more money. That base pumps a shit ton of money into their economy. They will really screw themselves if they boot us out before we totally withdraw from Afganistan. But, the new president has stated he wants us gone. The Russians have been promising them some major foreign aid if they can get us out. But we all know how the Russians are. There is a new transit base I heard that has opened, so you never know.
SecretSquirell
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/15/2011 11:27:17 AM
Originally Posted By 3XIraqvet:
I'll let you know how it is, I will be there next week ON THE WAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, no shibby. I'm gonna be going through there in about 2.5 weeks. Going home as well.
Founding Hound #16

Tennessee Squire
Bohr_Adam
Caliphate Sleeper Agent
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/15/2011 12:32:45 PM
Originally Posted By DefensorFortis:
The closing rumor has been going around since I was there the first time in 2005. All that means is the Kyrgyz want more money. That base pumps a shit ton of money into their economy. They will really screw themselves if they boot us out before we totally withdraw from Afganistan. But, the new president has stated he wants us gone. The Russians have been promising them some major foreign aid if they can get us out. But we all know how the Russians are. There is a new transit base I heard that has opened, so you never know.

The rumor then made sense, they had promised the Russians they would kick us out.

That's why it is no longer a "base." see, the Russians said they didn't want a US base there. So, now there is a US transit center there.

The current rumor makes no sense. 2014 is what even the current Kyrgyz president has been saying since the campaign. There is no talk about asking us to close up shop earlier.
"...if you devote your whole career to studying cabin boys getting butt-raped by pirate captains, I'm not going to ask you to baby sit my kids."
- FightingHellfish
RVwannaB
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/17/2011 2:37:24 AM
[Last Edit: 12/17/2011 2:39:48 AM by RVwannaB]
Was just there last week. It was cold but +1 on all of the above. If you go get a massage, ask for Natasha!
StoleIt
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/22/2011 7:02:51 AM
I'm currently deployed to Manas TC if anyone has any questions.

It was -24*C yesterday (that's like -11*F for those freedom lovers).
SecretSquirell
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/22/2011 7:45:29 AM
Originally Posted By StoleIt:

HOLY FUCK!!!
Founding Hound #16

Tennessee Squire
Doc_Hurley
Runnin and Gunnin
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/22/2011 9:04:56 PM
Meh..... I saw colder than that in WI.

But how's the general atmosphere around there?
Bohr_Adam
Caliphate Sleeper Agent
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/22/2011 10:01:12 PM
Originally Posted By StoleIt:

Do yourself a favor and see the country when you can. At least get down to Bishkek.

English is widely taught there, you'd be surprised how many people speak it somewhat.
"...if you devote your whole career to studying cabin boys getting butt-raped by pirate captains, I'm not going to ask you to baby sit my kids."
- FightingHellfish
glockster
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/10/2012 8:22:31 PM
I can't add much to the information here, but if it were between Ali and Manas, there would be no hesitation in choosing Manas. Was only a transient at both, but the ability to have a drink after duty hours puts that place pretty high on my list. Not to mention the standard gym/mwr/AF chicks...
APalazolo
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2012 7:50:34 PM
I passed through there in August. The people were friendly. Chow was awesome. No beer authorized under General order

We didnt have any issue with Joes stealing from one another in the transient tents and people left laptops and phones out to charge. The porta John humor was even worth the read. My personal favorites ," Ladies, prepare to finally be beautiful... Were going to war". And in a near by Porta John, "Ladies, prepare to be ugly again.... were going home"

Transient tents in Bagram werent as nice. My squad leader had his Iphone jacked from under his rack while he was sleeping. Shady. We had the French Forign Legion in our tents.
steve-oh
bestest member
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/22/2012 11:08:05 AM
Manas was awesome. The running trail just outside the gate is cool, decent gym, there is actual scenery, cool Russian type buildings at the entrance, and a general atmosphere of "yeah, we're going to war!" or "yeah, we're going home!"
Read the nametag. You're in my world now grandma.
paul_the_welder
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2012 10:22:42 AM
That place is a resort. Beautiful gangus kahn women. Awesome food. A bar!
Dinstaar
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/12/2012 8:47:41 PM
I spent 6 months there this place summer and it was great (AF side of the house). Should be much diff. for you Army guys that are permanent party.
Page:  / 2
Next Page  
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED