Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2015 2:49:19 PM EDT
FREE PETE....FREE PETE....FREEEEE PETE...
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
meh, he knew the rules, he broke the rules.  Don't care.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
he only bet for his team to win......  I'd want more like him .    
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so did bonds..so did mcguire..so did sosa..so did A-Rod... come on man the list goes on...and on...and on..!!  

like he said
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#4]
truth is...they hated ol "charlie hustle"... dude ran out every pop up, foul ball, dinker, sac bunt like it was his first and last... he made those boys look like they didn't give a shit about the game...and cause ol charlie threw a lil money down on his team and got caught... they threw the book at him...  helluva better role model than them other jokers i listed!  do drugs and you'll be famous..you'll shatter all the records.. your name will be in lights and down in the history books!!  blah...blah..blah!!  to hell with it...i say... FREE PETE ROSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Fuck him.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This. Fuck him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Fuck him.

come on man... look at it this way... judge him based off of his performance on the field as a player..not a coach.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
With all the drugs, steroids and stuff that some of the people both before and after him have done.   Placing a bet is nothing.  As long as they cannot prove he tanked a game to win his bet.   Free Pete Rose.  
People have sold drugs and destroyed countless lives have suffered less.

Free Rose
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
With all the drugs, steroids and stuff that some of the people both before and after him have done.   Placing a bet is nothing.  As long as they cannot prove he tanked a game to win his bet.   Free Pete Rose.  
People have sold drugs and destroyed countless lives have suffered less.

Free Rose
View Quote

amen brother!!    
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Pete should be in the Hall for what he did on the field as a player.  

As an aside, we'll never know how many records in the Hall are held by guys that knowingly cheated.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pete should be in the Hall for what he did on the field as a player.  

As an aside, we'll never know how many records in the Hall are held by guys that knowingly cheated.
View Quote

this is true... some..have been caught and still they kept the records... ol charlie bet on his team to win..he did not cheat or take "performance enhancing" drugs... dude did it ol skool and did it well.  shit..he's got to be half ass crazy to bet on his own team to WIN every damn time...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
.....he's got to be half ass crazy to bet on his own team to WIN every damn time...
View Quote

It's pretty obvious you are not a pool player.    

Just a little gambling education here.   Gamblers don't like to lose money, and thus,  they have figured out every possible way to get the cash. They can't bet on themselves to lose, because that is too obvious.  So they either take a payoff to lose the game, or they will bet on themselves to win, and then intentionally lose anyway.

Here is a hypothetical situation, because I'm not a gambler....just a somewhat streetwise pool player.

Lets say I'm gambling with someone for $100 in a race to 10 games.  However, I have a partner who bets $500 on the side, that I am going to lose.  You can be sure I'm going to lose the match, and that  $100.   BUT, my partner wins $500 and we split the profits.  Hell, my partner might even be the guy I'm playing against.

It's called dumping, and it happens all the time in the gambling world.

Gambling doesn't have anything to do with winning or losing the game.  It's all about who gets the cheese.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just a little gambling education here.   Gamblers don't like to lose money, and thus,  they have figured out every possible way to get the cash. They can't bet on themselves to lose, because that is too obvious.  So they either take a payoff to lose the game, or they will bet on themselves to win, and then intentionally lose anyway.

Here is a hypothetical situation, because I'm not a gambler....just a somewhat streetwise pool player.

Lets say I'm gambling with someone for $100 in a race to 10 games.  However, I have a partner who bets $500 on the side, that I am going to lose.  You can be sure I'm going to lose the match, and that  $100.   BUT, my partner wins $500 and we split the profits.  Hell, my partner might even be the guy I'm playing against.

s
Gambling doesn't have anything to do with winning or losing the game.  It's all about who gets the cheese.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.....he's got to be half ass crazy to bet on his own team to WIN every damn time...

s

o..no..i'm not a "pool player" although i have and do play.. i am familiar with gambling in too many ways.. so i know what you're saying.  still... in the game of baseball.. it's virtually impossible to "dump" a game repeatedly and get away with it.  i am very familiar with baseball as well as other sports.  one would have to have more than one way of "dumping" a game of baseball in order to pull it off..in which would set off soo many alarm bells that it would virtually make it impossible to do so..
here's a hypothetical scenario for you in regards to this..  coaches would have to shuffle or mix up their lineup with hitters that he knows have a bad average against the starting pitcher.. he'd also have to have more than one "key" player placed on the DL ( that's disabled list) just in case.. to create some sort of weakness in the lineup or on the field and then would have to "pinch hit" one of his best players in key situations as so that it would almost certainly result in an out.  or have more than one of his "key" players purposely strike out to hurt the team as well..or "tank" a ball..(DORN)  it's not like basketball or pool where you can simply misjudge your shot.  
but i do get your point.. but it just didn't happen.  either way.. Pete as a player was one of a kind and didn't use drugs or beat up his girlfriend... so..

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I agree. Time to let him in.

The guys who juiced need to be removed from the record books.
View Quote
Agreed.

I saw Pete Rose last month in Vegas.  My wife waved at him and he just looked right through her.  Wave back to the pretty lady asshole
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Everybody wants to see him in the hall, its funny though that some of the people he used to play with didn't think much of him as a person, might have been a ego thing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Let him in!

CareerGABRH2B3BHRGRSLRBIBBIBBSOSHSFHBPGIDPAVGOBPSLG
24 Years3,56214,0532,1654,25674613516011,314 1,566167 1,1435679107 247.303 .375 .409

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Everybody wants to see him in the hall, its funny though that some of the people he used to play with didn't think much of him as a person, might have been a ego thing.
View Quote

Apparently the guy he collided with in the 1970 All Star game doesn't seem to think too highly of him.  

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Bowled-Over-A-collision-with-Pete-Rose-in-the-2919513.php

It also says Ray Fosse made $12,000 for the season in 1970.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Trying to unpause the cause
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I got to watch Pete Rose and the Red Machine play many times. I grew up near Cinci in the early 70"s. "Charlie Hustle", the "Pete Rose Dive", the man was a hero to us at the time. He broke an off the field rule. So fine the shit out of him proportionate to the pay of the time. He bet on his own team TO WIN. I don't know why that is not allowed anyway. They do play to win, right?? He didn't pull his bets when injuries or sitting out key players would make a victory highly unlikely. He kept his money on the table. He did not cheat at the game or at the bookie. FREE PETE ROSE.

Make the current roid heads pay back their teams. Look what the courts are doing to Lance Armstrong. Is that going to be the way dope cheaters are punished? Roids, doping, transfusions...... now that is cheating!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The old Clicks Hustle. Some of those high rollers that didn't respect the house rules paid through the nose. Pay your player or else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top