Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2015 2:42:26 PM EDT
I don't have a dang clue how this game works other than put the ball in the other teams goal but I absolutely love watching my kid play!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't have a dang clue how this game works other than put the ball in the other teams goal but I absolutely love watching my kid play!
View Quote

Son started playing 4 years ago - still don't know most of the rules.

Awesome sport, though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
this year will be mine's first full season, started halfway thru the year last year.  He's taken to it like a duck to water and I'm having almost as much fun as he is just watching him.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I soo miss playing lacrosse. Went from hs to the usmc base team then a bs day in sept '01 happened.  Tried to get the oldest to play but no go.

Just think of it like hockey on grass
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Had three kids play high school lax.  See if the coach or the team has a cheat sheet for rules.  Great sport for kids.  It's a good combination of skills and endurance.  At the end of the day, the kids with more endurance towards the end of a close game tend to shine.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#5]
How big is your son and how big you think he'll get?

Does he have long endurance to run or better at sprinting [can run fast]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

14 yrs old approx. 5'10" 135-140
dunno how he'll end up but I'm 6'2", the men in my wifes family are all short and he's taller than all them already.  his frame is significantly smaller than mine.

He's better at sprinting but his endurance isn't bad, he usually is one of the fastest kids out there but that's always been his strongest attribute in all the other sports he's played.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Guilty. My 10 year old has been playing for 4 years. I have the rules down, but he's too good for my dumb ass to warm him up before games. He also plays all 4 positions on 2 different teams so I have to be a damned equipment manager too.

He's a big kid at 5'5", but he's getting physically outmatched by older kids that have puberty on their side.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

dunno how he'll end up but I'm 6'2", the men in my wifes family are all short and he's taller than all them already.  his frame is significantly smaller than mine.

He's better at sprinting but his endurance isn't bad, he usually is one of the fastest kids out there but that's always been his strongest attribute in all the other sports he's played.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds  like he would be an awesome center attack man

tell him watch out for those pesky defense men

Good Luck this season
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good Luck this season
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Luck this season

My boy will be turning 15 in a week, is 6'1 1/2", and weighs 170.  He is a freshman and went out for the high school team.  He's finally getting a taste of what  it's like to *really* be worked at practice.  And, the coach is putting him on defense, which is where I've told him he should be playing for 2 years.  It was hard not to be smug when he told me his position on the JV team.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My boy will be turning 15 in a week, is 6'1 1/2", and weighs 170.  He is a freshman and went out for the high school team.  He's finally getting a taste of what  it's like to *really* be worked at practice.  And, the coach is putting him on defense, which is where I've told him he should be playing for 2 years.  It was hard not to be smug when he told me his position on the JV team.
View Quote

Mine plays Midfielder now and loves it, as I said before, I think I enjoy watching him as much as he does playing!  Wished they played this game in the south when I was a kid!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Luck this season

Back in the day I was a 5'8" 150 lbs. defense man at lease I had a long stick, I loved running over  those sneaky attack men
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Back in the day I was a 5'8" 150 lbs. defense man at lease I had a long stick, I loved running over  those sneaky attack men
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Luck this season

He did a little defense last year.  Best part was when he would get the ball and decide to go with it. With his long legs he has a loping stride - it takes w while for him to get up to speed, but when he does it's like a freight train. Defenders would intercept at midfield; one guy tried to check him and bounced off him and onto his ass.  The next time the other team double-teamed him.  They both bounced away, though not as violently.  He won't have as simple a time of it this year, but he's already getting better coaching and conditioning, so I'm pretty excited to see the games.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yes and a former DI player who made it to the final four weekend.  And I have coached....and I still play.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good Luck this season

Why is he putting him at defense?  and why do you think he should have been playing there?

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why is he putting him at defense?  and why do you think he should have been playing there?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's fast, when he gets up to speed.  He doesn't have the quickness to play forward - when he was there before he just couldn't get to the ball fast enough.  And he doesn't have the endurance for middie.  Ideally he could develop that endurance, but he doesn't have it now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He's fast, when he gets up to speed.  He doesn't have the quickness to play forward - when he was there before he just couldn't get to the ball fast enough.  And he doesn't have the endurance for middie.  Ideally he could develop that endurance, but he doesn't have it now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I was playing an attack man on  JV and saw a 6'1" defense man on the other team I'd make sure I knew where he was on the field at all times

I think the game of lacrosse is an equal opportunity sport, their are positions for the little guy to the big fat guy that talks too much[goalie]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you mean attack by saying forward.   What do you mean by "getting to the ball fast enough"?  As for endurance, unless they are playing iron man lacrosse, there should be enough subs that after one or two runs up and down the field he can be subed for.

My questions would be does he have stick skills?  Catch, throw and dodge.  Both hands or one?

But, if both of you and the coach said he isn't quick enough to play attack, why move him to defense? I see this all the time in youth lacrosse where they put all the big kids on defense, because they are big, no other reason.

What part of the state are you in?

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What do you mean by "getting to the ball fast enough"?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What do you mean by "getting to the ball fast enough"?    

Literal quickness.  At the youth level, there tends to be a lot of dropped balls and missed passes.  I can count on one hand the number of loose balls he picked up as opposed to getting beat to them.

As for endurance, unless they are playing iron man lacrosse, there should be enough subs that after one or two runs up and down the field he can be subed for.  

That I can't say.  He was definitely blowing after a full length run.  That *should* improve - he is coming home tired from practice, which means he's actually working.

My questions would be does he have stick skills?  Catch, throw and dodge.  Both hands or one?  

Pretty good stick skills in hanging on to it, needs some work in catch and throw.  Decent on his off side handling.

But, if both of you and the coach said he isn't quick enough to play attack, why move him to defense? I see this all the time in youth lacrosse where they put all the big kids on defense, because they are big, no other reason.

His youth coach played him in a number of positions.  I haven't found out what his JV coach's reasons are. The reasons *I* think he'd be good on defense is his reach and his tendency to over-focus.  It's not a good trait to lose situational awareness, but I think on defense it will be easier to work thorough some of those issues.  

That being said, I'm perfectly willing to be wrong; my experience comes from playing youth soccer where I played defense and was quite good at it, and he and I share many of the same mental traits.  I want him to play in whatever position he will be most successful, balanced with helping the team the most.

His youth league was WMYLC; we live at the southern end of that territory.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Literal quickness.  At the youth level, there tends to be a lot of dropped balls and missed passes.  I can count on one hand the number of loose balls he picked up as opposed to getting beat to them. Alright, but being on defense is the same for picking up balls. Big guys who are not quick are going to be more successful on the offensive side of midfield.  My friend at the age of 40 played at Catonsville CC and finished in the top 20 for scoring in JUCO nationally.  Wouldn't have been successful at defense as he is 6'7" and 350.

That I can't say.  He was definitely blowing after a full length run.  That *should* improve - he is coming home tired from practice, which means he's actually working.  It should if the coach is working on conditioning during drills and after practice.
Pretty good stick skills in hanging on to it, needs some work in catch and throw.  Decent on his off side handling. This might be the biggest reason he was moved him to defense.  Could have been a numbers game too.
His youth coach played him in a number of positions.  I haven't found out what his JV coach's reasons are. The reasons *I* think he'd be good on defense is his reach and his tendency to over-focus.  It's not a good trait to lose situational awareness, but I think on defense it will be easier to work thorough some of those issues.   You should play a variety of positions in youth lacrosse until you are in middle school to find out what your strengths are and what you need to work on.  Also helps to understand the other position and use that to your advantage.  On defense the over focusing isn't a good trait to have as you play team defense and sliding to an open man is a large part of the game.  Of course its good when your man has the ball. But I was trying to covey before is moving a slower guy to defense against quicker guys isn't always the best move

That being said, I'm perfectly willing to be wrong; my experience comes from playing youth soccer where I played defense and was quite good at it, and he and I share many of the same mental traits.  I want him to play in whatever position he will be most successful, balanced with helping the team the most.

Sounds good, but he should also enjoy the position he is playing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Literal quickness.  At the youth level, there tends to be a lot of dropped balls and missed passes.  I can count on one hand the number of loose balls he picked up as opposed to getting beat to them. Alright, but being on defense is the same for picking up balls. Big guys who are not quick are going to be more successful on the offensive side of midfield.  My friend at the age of 40 played at Catonsville CC and finished in the top 20 for scoring in JUCO nationally.  Wouldn't have been successful at defense as he is 6'7" and 350.

As for endurance, unless they are playing iron man lacrosse, there should be enough subs that after one or two runs up and down the field he can be subed for.  

That I can't say.  He was definitely blowing after a full length run.  That *should* improve - he is coming home tired from practice, which means he's actually working.  It should if the coach is working on conditioning during drills and after practice.

Pretty good stick skills in hanging on to it, needs some work in catch and throw.  Decent on his off side handling. This might be the biggest reason he was moved him to defense.  Could have been a numbers game too.

His youth coach played him in a number of positions.  I haven't found out what his JV coach's reasons are. The reasons *I* think he'd be good on defense is his reach and his tendency to over-focus.  It's not a good trait to lose situational awareness, but I think on defense it will be easier to work thorough some of those issues.   You should play a variety of positions in youth lacrosse until you are in middle school to find out what your strengths are and what you need to work on.  Also helps to understand the other position and use that to your advantage.  On defense the over focusing isn't a good trait to have as you play team defense and sliding to an open man is a large part of the game.  Of course its good when your man has the ball. But I was trying to covey before is moving a slower guy to defense against quicker guys isn't always the best move

Sounds good, but he should also enjoy the position he is playing.

I am just giving you my opinion based on the info you have given me which is based on 40 years playing and coaching lacrosse.

Lastly I will say this, he is now at the age that he is the one who has to discuss anything involving position or playing time, etc. with the coach.  But now is the time to ask about his position, during tryouts at the beginning of the season, if he would rather play another.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I am just giving you my opinion based on the info you have given me which is based on 40 years playing and coaching lacrosse.

Lastly I will say this, he is now at the age that he is the one who has to discuss anything involving position or playing time, etc. with the coach.  But now is the time to ask about his position, during tryouts at the beginning of the season, if he would rather play another.

View Quote

I appreciate your observations, and make no claims to expertise on anything regarding lacrosse.  I am always learning.

I did speak to him last night, and it seems a bit more complex than I thought before (lack of communication from a teen?  Never!)  He's going to be playing forward *and* defense, though more on defense because that's where the team needs him - they only have 4 without him.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I appreciate your observations, and make no claims to expertise on anything regarding lacrosse.  I am always learning.

I did speak to him last night, and it seems a bit more complex than I thought before (lack of communication from a teen?  Never!)  He's going to be playing forward *and* defense, though more on defense because that's where the team needs him - they only have 4 without him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like the kids around here; everyone wants to be a middie or attack so they can score, of course, I don't guess I blame them wanting to!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#22]
My kids played this year for the first time.  By the time they got good enough to contribute positively to the team, the season ended.  They had such a great time, they want to do it again next year.

Their stick skills are severely lacking as compared to their teammates who have played for five or more years.  Any advice on a training plan they can follow off season?  Obviously, they can work on ground and air passes ad nauseam, but I don't won't them to get burned out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Fun sport
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Terps back to final 4!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Son and youngest daughter play.  Love the game.  I grew up playing hockey and rugby, but there aren't enough rinks around here and youth rugby in the US was practically nonexistent when we switched to Lacrosse and haven't looked back.

As far as the rules, it's a lot like hockey but the plays are often like basketball.  Watch video of collegiate games to get the general rules and then see if you can volunteer to be the stats keeper for your team.  If you have an experienced spotter/caller, you will learn quickly.  Another way is to take the US Lacrosse into to reffing training - Its a few hours but really teaches the rules on a practical level.

PS - the Bargain clearance bin at Lacrosse Monkey has been my wallet's friend for years.  Tribe7 has good prices too as they deal direct but are a lot harder to re-string than the mainstream brands.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My kids played this year for the first time.  By the time they got good enough to contribute positively to the team, the season ended.  They had such a great time, they want to do it again next year.

Their stick skills are severely lacking as compared to their teammates who have played for five or more years.  Any advice on a training plan they can follow off season?  Obviously, they can work on ground and air passes ad nauseam, but I don't won't them to get burned out.
View Quote
Wall ball.  Hours and hours and hours of wall ball.  If you dont have a big concrete/block wall close by watch amazon warehouse deals for a rebounder.  My son still does at least 30 min a day (and that is down from close to an hour since he switched to goal a month or so ago).
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wall ball.  Hours and hours and hours of wall ball.  If you dont have a big concrete/block wall close by watch amazon warehouse deals for a rebounder.  My son still does at least 30 min a day (and that is down from close to an hour since he switched to goal a month or so ago).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  What's a good price for a rebounder?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Both of my sons play at an elite level.  They are on year-round travelling tournament teams and also play for their school teams.  My oldest is a high school sophomore and his team won the state championship last year.  It is fun as heck to watch and they can get very physical.  We have a couple of football players on the squad and they lay down the hits like nobodies business.  Their only job is to harass the other team.  I've been involved for 8 years now and still don't know jack shit but we have a blast.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I got impatient a few years ago and just ordered this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018BEGOG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  Some people have gotten lucky and found rebounders/pitch backs on warehouse deals and open box specials cheaper, or garage sales, but I never did and my son was pounding the heck out of my chimney (I figured $135 was cheaper than a chimney repair).
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hell, if you were within a couple hundred miles I’d give you one- since my son went from a 3-sport athlete to a 2-sport athlete (now maybe a 1-sporter), I have one taking up space.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#31]
This is the style you want. Durable for the hard lax ball

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top