Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2014 7:54:34 PM EDT
Baseball Season Has Started.  

Here is Last Year’s Thread.  For Three years in a row now only a few Mangers were fired.

Every since I’ve started these threads a dull year led to a year with many firings or resignations.  But lately most managers have been rehired with only one or two actually retiring.  How bloody will this year be?  Tame like the past few years or back to being a bloodbath?

Place your bets.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Ned Yost maybe, the Royals have got to start competing.

Or Ron Gardenhire, the Twins will bring up the rear in the AL central this year, and when they lose their hundredth game, he'll get the ax.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say Miami Marlins.

Then again I think the chances of them moving to a different city has a better chance of happening
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or Ron Gardenhire, the Twins will bring up the rear in the AL central this year, and when they lose their hundredth game, he'll get the ax.
View Quote

as a brewers fan.
this.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd agree with Gardenhire. They haven't competed in a few years now. Maybe his voice isn't heard in the clubhouse anymore. However, winning fixes everything.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

as a brewers fan.
this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

as a brewers fan.
this.
As of this posting Minnesota is 1 game above .500 and in second place.

Shocking, isn't it?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Shocking, isn't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

as a brewers fan.
this.

Shocking, isn't it?

Quite baffling really. There is no answer for it other then a weak AL central.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, I'm looking at the Met's.  Their collective batting average is among the worst in the Majors.  But they are in second place.  Offensively I keep remembering the 1969 and THEIR horrible team average.  But they had Cleon Jones hitting around .340 for the season, just missing the seasons batting title by two spots.  Add in Tom Seaver and Jerry Koosman and they were well nigh invincible.  Ok, HOUSTON GAVE THEM NIGHTMARES!  But they ate the rest of the league up as appetizers.

Where are this seasons Tommy Agee and Cleon Jones?  Who are the Met's current version of the Tom & Jerry Show?  I feel a crash coming.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]
The Mets fall into Last Place and they fire their Hitting Coach and release a pitcher.

Not exactly Firing the Manager but it can be considered a warmup for future executions.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]
July Tag.

Nobody fired yet.  Pay off any bets, if any.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#10]
August bump.

I'm starting to wonder about the off-season.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Wondering if Ron Washington will get the blame for the Texas dumpster fire this year or not.  It's BAD.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#12]
No news yet, but nearly anything is possible.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Astros fire Manager

Fired for not doing the impossible.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Astros fire Manager

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Astros fire Manager

HOUSTON -- Astros manager Bo Porter and bench coach Dave Trembley were relieved of their duties on Monday, the team announced. Tom Lawless was named interim manager through the remainder of the 2014 season.

Porter had been the Astros' manager since the start of the 2013 season after being named to the position on Sept. 27, 2012, while he served as third-base coach for the Washington Nationals. Adam Everett will join Houston's coaching staff, replacing Trembley as bench coach. The remaining coaches will continue in their current roles.

The Astros' search for a new manager will begin immediately, the team said in a statement.

Where'e Bobby Valentine

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Astros fire Manager

View Quote

He was fired for butting heads with the GM and not being part of the inner sanctum.  Bo had a tendency to air dirty laundry in public, but he was good guy for the job of dealing with young players.

Porter would be a great bench coach somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Ron Washington resigned. Does that count?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ron Washington resigned. Does that count?
View Quote

Not really.  IF there were rumors that he would have been fired before or after the season the answer would have Yes.  For the purposes of This Thread he played a Get Out Of Jail Free card.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Now this ALMOST works:

D-backs' Towers dismissed as GM

SAN DIEGO -- The D-backs dismissed Kevin Towers as general manager on Friday, ending his nearly four-year reign with the team. He has been offered a different position in the organization, and the team said in announcing its decision that he is "evaluating the opportunity."
View Quote

IF it had been the Gentleman who sits in the Dugout throughout the game he Would be Second Place Winner.  But he Just Misses.
If it was Kirk Gibson it would be a different matter.  But it isn't.

Yet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Cute;  Managers are safe so far.  NOT SO are the General Managers:

Brave Dismiss Their GM

Of course the season isn't Quite over yet.  And many managers lose their jobs Post-Season.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Kirk Gibson goes down with 3 games left in the 2014 season!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:57:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They should have left him finish the season!

He didn't last long, did he?....Checked: Five Years.  That's about average.  They still should have left him at least finish the season.

Gibson fired as manager of the Diamondbacks

(Reuters) - Kirk Gibson was fired as manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks after posting the worst record in the National League, the club announced on Friday.

Also relieved of his duties was bench coach and Gibson's former Detroit Tigers team mate Alan Trammell.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:34:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He didn't last long, did he?....Checked: Five Years.  That's about average.  They still should have left him at least finish the season.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608041707264214299&pid=15.1&P=0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gibson fired as manager of the Diamondbacks

(Reuters) - Kirk Gibson was fired as manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks after posting the worst record in the National League, the club announced on Friday.

Also relieved of his duties was bench coach and Gibson's former Detroit Tigers team mate Alan Trammell.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608041707264214299&pid=15.1&P=0

Yeah, stupid move. That puts so much negative energy in the clubhouse.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Ron Gardenhire goes down today! I gotta say, I saw that one coming.
Here
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Here

Correct me if I'm wrong, but predictions for his firing go back to Last Season.

MLB.COM Ron Gardenhire out after 13 seasons

MINNEAPOLIS -- After 13 seasons and six American League Central championships, Ron Gardenhire is out as Twins manager after a fourth straight season with at least 90 losses, the club announced Monday. It has not been decided if he will accept an offer to take an undisclosed position in the organization, as he hasn't ruled out managing elsewhere.

The Twins will look both inside and outside the organization for a replacement for Gardenhire, and the coaching staff will be determined by the new manager in conjunction with general manager Terry Ryan. The contracts of all of seven of Minnesota's coaches expire at year's end, but some could be retained by the new skipper. Gardenhire, 56, had one more year remaining on a two-year he deal signed before the season.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here

Correct me if I'm wrong, but predictions for his firing go back to Last Season.

MLB.COM Ron Gardenhire out after 13 seasons

MINNEAPOLIS -- After 13 seasons and six American League Central championships, Ron Gardenhire is out as Twins manager after a fourth straight season with at least 90 losses, the club announced Monday. It has not been decided if he will accept an offer to take an undisclosed position in the organization, as he hasn't ruled out managing elsewhere.

The Twins will look both inside and outside the organization for a replacement for Gardenhire, and the coaching staff will be determined by the new manager in conjunction with general manager Terry Ryan. The contracts of all of seven of Minnesota's coaches expire at year's end, but some could be retained by the new skipper. Gardenhire, 56, had one more year remaining on a two-year he deal signed before the season.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-07wOeZFYty8/TjlQDoIvQhI/AAAAAAAACo0/jhAsZOXaSlw/s400/third%2Bplace%2Btrophy.jpg

I think we might have mentioned it last year. Look at the 2nd post in this thread!

The Royals are finally competing and Ronnie got the ax (although not quite the hundred game loser I predicted).
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:16:01 AM EDT
[#26]
It doesn't work as being fired, but when a baseball manager decides to opt out of a contract, it can raise eyebrows:

Tampa Bay Manager Decides to Leave Rays

By Bill Chastain / MLB.com | @wwchastain | October 24, 2014
ST. PETERSBURG -- Joe Maddon hopes Rays fans will understand his decision to exercise an opt-out clause to manage the Rays in 2015, essentially making him a free agent to field unknown offers.

"I just hope they will understand that this was a unique opportunity for me and my family, and beyond that, the charities that I'm attached to," said Maddon explaining the opportunity created by an opt-out clause in his contract that kicked in once Andrew Friedman departed for the Dodgers. "There was nothing else that I was looking for before that. Up until Andrew left I did not have this kind of opportunity whatsoever. And then once Andrew left and this opportunity opened up, I had to consider it.
View Quote

Looking at his record he hasn't done that badly.  Any ideas as to where he's headed next?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

It doesn't work as being fired, but when a baseball manager decides to opt out of a contract, it can raise eyebrows:

Looking at his record he hasn't done that badly.  Any ideas as to where he's headed next?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

By Bill Chastain / MLB.com | @wwchastain | October 24, 2014

ST. PETERSBURG -- Joe Maddon hopes Rays fans will understand his decision to exercise an opt-out clause to manage the Rays in 2015, essentially making him a free agent to field unknown offers.

"I just hope they will understand that this was a unique opportunity for me and my family, and beyond that, the charities that I'm attached to," said Maddon explaining the opportunity created by an opt-out clause in his contract that kicked in once Andrew Friedman departed for the Dodgers. "There was nothing else that I was looking for before that. Up until Andrew left I did not have this kind of opportunity whatsoever. And then once Andrew left and this opportunity opened up, I had to consider it.

Cubs or Dodgers. Probably the former.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top