Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2011 5:34:34 PM EDT
And we're off again.

It's April Fool's day, and with it are the hope and dreams of the many Major League Managers to at least  finish the season without getting fired.

The last two seasons can be found Here for 2009 and Here for 2010.  In short: 3 managers were fired in 2009 and 8 managers last year.  It remains to be seen what this season's numbers will be.

What's interesting is that in 2009 Clint Hurdle was the second manager to be fired.  He's now back with the Pittsburg Pirates.  With the Pittsburg being the pits for so long, it makes you wonder just how much he can do.

Let the carnage begin:

Link Posted: 4/1/2011 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

There's been too many changes to offer up an accurate guess as to who's gonna get the axe.

Maybe you should have put this one up around the All Star Break.

If you looked at the link for 2009, you will find that Bob Melvin "Won" before 30 games were played.  It can very easily happen early in the season.

Link Posted: 4/2/2011 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP)—With his banged-up team mired in a nine-game losing streak and rampant speculation about the tenuous status of manager Bob Geren, general manager Billy Beane felt he had no other choice than to make a change at skipper.

The A’s fired a manager during the season for the first time in a quarter century on Thursday, letting Geren go after four-plus seasons and bringing in former Arizona and Seattle skipper Bob Melvin for the rest of the season.

"It felt like at this point a change was necessary,” Beane said. "It got to the point where the emphasis was on the status of the manager on a daily basis and no longer on the field. When that starts to happen, you need to shift the focus to what’s really important, which is performance. That’s how we came to this decision.”

Next...

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to think Quade from the Cubs will be next. I also think Jim Hendry will be going with him.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Florida Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez resigns

Same thing as getting fired.

ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (AP)—Florida Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez unexpectedly resigned with his team on a nine-game losing streak, frustrated with his last-place club after less than one year on the job.
Bench coach Brandon Hyde will manage the Marlins against the Tampa Bay Rays on Sunday, but the club will begin a search for an interim manager.

"It’s been extremely frustrating for everyone,” Florida president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest said. "I think everyone here knows what is going on—the way we’ve played, the way we’ve performed. It’s tough on everyone, especially him.

"He communicated with me early this morning that this was something he was thinking about, and when I got to the ballpark we accepted his resignation.”

Rodriguez was in his first full season as the Marlins’ manager. He became interim manager June 23 of last year after Fredi Gonzalez was fired. He was given the job permanently five days later, becoming the first Puerto Rican-born manager in major league history. Florida went 46-46 under Rodriguez, who had opened the season as the Marlins’ Triple-A manager in New Orleans.

Next!

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]
dang it! Riggleman quit today. I liked him.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dang it! Riggleman quit today. I liked him.

Riggs had done some good things for that club.

And Davey Johnson has Officially replaced him.

This might be an interesting year: For once more managers are quitting than have been fired.

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#13]

July is nearly over and Only One manager has Officially been fired.

This has been a quiet year.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#14]
The season is almost over.

Any guesses how bloody the off-season is going to be?
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I still think Quade is let go the day after game 7 of the world series.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#16]
3rd Overall and the First Post Season firing:

Red Sox, Francona Part Ways After Collapse

BOSTON (AP)—The Terry Francona era is over in Boston.

The manager who led the Red Sox to their first World Series championship in 86 years is out after one of the worst months in club history.

In a joint statement released on Friday, the Red Sox announced they will not pick up the option on Francona’s contract for a ninth year in the wake of the team’s September collapse in which they blew a nine-game lead in the AL wild-card race.

"Tito said that after eight years here he was frustrated by his difficulty making an impact with the players, that a different voice was needed, and that it was time for him to move on,” the statement said. "After taking time to reflect on Tito’s sentiments, we agreed that it was best for the Red Sox not to exercise the option years on his contract.”Owners John Henry, Tom Werner, and Larry Lucchino acknowledged a change was needed and thanked Francona, who led the franchise to titles in 2004 and 2007. But the statement also mentioned that Francona was ready to head in a different direction.

The press release highlighted a whirlwind day at Fenway Park that saw all of the principal parties shuttle in and out of the facility. Francona was in the building three different times.

Later, Henry was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital to be examined after a minor incident on his yacht, the Red Sox said. WBZ radio reported that he walked off his boat wearing a neck brace.

Boston missed the playoffs despite its nine-game lead with 24 left on Sept. 4. It went 6-18 after that, ending with a 4-3 loss Wednesday night in Baltimore amid reports of conditioning and clubhouse problems. The Red Sox did not win consecutive games all month.

"I didn’t feel like the players need to go to dinner together, but they need to be fiercely loyal on the field,” Francona, who rarely criticized players publicly, said at a news conference after the announcement. "I didn’t always get that feeling and it bothered me.”

He also said it was his decision to leave, although the owners seemed to want to make a change.

"I’m not sure how much support there was from ownership. I don’t know that I feel real comfortable,” said Francona, wearing a long-sleeved dress shirt instead of the red Boston pullover he wore during games and postgame news conferences. "It’s got be everybody together. I was questioning that a little bit”

Still, the official announcement praised Francona.

"We have enormous respect, admiration and appreciation for Tito and the job that he did for eight years, including two World Series championship seasons and five playoff appearances,” the statement read. "His poise during the 2004 postseason was a key factor in the greatest comeback in baseball history, and his place in Red Sox history will never be forgotten.

"We wish him only the best going forward.”

General manager Theo Epstein released a statement earlier in the day, saying the club had not yet made a decision on Francona’s future. But he later revised his thoughts.

"Nobody at the Red Sox blames Tito for what happened at the end of this season; we own that as an organization. This year was certainly a difficult and draining one for him and for us,” Epstein said. "Ultimately, he decided that there were certain things that needed to be done that he couldn’t do after eight years here, and that this team would benefit from hearing a new voice.

"While this may be true, his next team will benefit more than it knows from hearing Tito’s voice. I will miss seeing Tito every day in the manager’s office, and I wish him and his family nothing but the best in their next chapter.”

Francona said he didn’t know what he would do next but wants to stay in the game. He could be interested in the managerial opening with the  Chicago White Sox.  He was a manager in their minor-league system, even handling a team on which Michael Jordan tried his hand at baseball, before becoming manager in Philadelphia in 1997.

He said he supports his bench coach, DeMarlo Hale, to replace him but there has been little speculation about who would take over.

Asked about reports of drinking in the clubhouse during games by starting pitchers not playing that day, Francona said, "I’d rather talk about generalities.”

In Francona’s four seasons with the Phillies, they had a 285-363 record with their best coming in 1999 at 77-85.

The Red Sox failed to make the postseason in Francona’s final two seasons but sold out every game since he replaced Grady Little after the 2003 season.

"We met this morning to look back on the 2011 season and to consider the future of the Boston Red Sox, including my involvement with the club. I passed along my frustrations at my inability to effectively reach the players. After many conversations and much consideration, I ultimately felt that, out of respect to this team, it was time for me to move on,” Francona said.

"I’ve always maintained that it is not only the right, but the obligation, of ownership to have the right person doing this job. I told them that out of my enormous respect for this organization and the people in it, they may need to find a different voice to lead the team.”

The decision came as both of the American League Division Series were set to begin. So, obviously, the Red Sox were a hot pregame topic in Texas and New York.

"I know how well liked he is by his players and that city and in baseball in general. He’s a great guy; he’s not just a good guy,” Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon said. "It’s not easy.”

Maddon’s Rays, and Joe Girardi’s Yankees both made the postseason out of the same division as Boston.

"These jobs are precious, there’s no doubt about it. There’s expectations. A lot of times they’re extremely high expectations when you’re in certain towns,” Girardi said. "We understand that when we take the job. High expectations are better than no expectations. You do enjoy it and you enjoy your time when you’re there.

"Tito has done a great job there.”

The Red Sox went 744-552 under Francona, and 8-0 in World Series games under him, sweeping the Cardinals and Rockies. He became the first manager to win his first six World Series games. They were 90-72 this season.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm not sure I would call a guy who is not under contract being given 1.5 million dollars to not come back a firing. More like a divorce.

I'm not sure it was the right thing to do, but something needed to be done, and I don't think we have seen the last of the departures from Fenway. Tito was the Red Sox Manager for 8 years, that is a damn long time for an organization that rarely keeps a Manager for more than 2-3 years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm not sure I would call a guy who is not under contract being given 1.5 million dollars to not come back a firing. More like a divorce.

I'm not sure it was the right thing to do, but something needed to be done, and I don't think we have seen the last of the departures from Fenway. Tito was the Red Sox Manager for 8 years, that is a damn long time for an organization that rarely keeps a Manager for more than 2-3 years.

Yeah it is a long time but they hadn't won a WS in 82 years in comes Francona and they win two ! I'm a Yankees fan by the way but for some reason have more of a gripe with Tampa then Boston.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Ozzie Guillen out as the Florida Marlins Manager, Robin Ventura replaces him.

Michael Jordan’s two-word press release announcing his comeback: "I’m back.”
Robin Ventura’s first two publicly spoken words as manager of the White Sox: "I’m here.”

The baseball world’s one-word reaction to the even more stunning news that Ventura had been hired to manage the Sox:

What?

There are those who are saying "bad move” and those who need time to sleep on general manager Ken Williams’ second managerial hire. But very few are lauding it as a great hire, not when Terry Francona, Davey Martinez and Sandy Alomar were out there, to name a few.

Ventura, 44, a popular, well-liked and highly respected former Sox star whose only professional coaching experience is four months of work as an advisor to Sox scouting director Buddy Bell, will have his opportunity to make it a great hire with a multiyear contract in hand.

"I realize that he wasn’t on anyone’s list out there,’’ Williams said on a conference call Thursday. "We caught many of you by surprise.”

Considering Ventura has no experience as a manager, "many of you” is the understatement of the year. That lists includes Ventura himself, who said he didn’t set out to be a manager when the Sox hired him in June to be an assistant to Bell. When things unraveled to the end with Ozzie Guillen and his impending jump to Miami, Williams heightened his interest in Ventura — whose thoughts about being in the dugout never extended beyond a coaching or instructional situation.

"Things progressed fairly quickly when Ozzie wasn’t the manager anymore,” Ventura said. "When I first went home and talked to my wife [Stephanie] about it, it really turned us upside down because I have a good thing going.

"I was easing my way back in there. Now it seems I’ve jumped all the way in. I jumped right in the deep end.”

Ventura’s lack of experience is sure to come under scrutiny. The Sox will seek permission Friday from another team to interview a potential bench coach who likely will have experience as a major-league manager.

"I realize I haven’t managed,’’ Ventura said. "But I am in a place where I will get the support to grow and do the job.’’

Not having managed before, Ventura will need it.

"Not having managed before, I did have apprehension,’’ Ventura said. "[Williams] never had to talk me into it — it was about whether I would be committed to do it. When we finally had a face-to-face last week, I knew and my wife knew. That was the time we knew it was the right thing to do.’’

Williams said he would have preferred to see Ventura develop so he would hit the ground running when he was hired, but Guillen’s departure expedited his ascension at light speed.

"The need for him at this time with the current roster, and our future roster, he is just the guy that we have to have,’’ Williams said.

Williams lauded Ventura’s communication skills "that will translate into working well with our veteran players and young players who are still trying to find themselves in big leagues, and veterans trying to rediscover themselves.

"He has ability to discipline with seriousness, he has a sense of humor and [he will] create a professional yet fun environment to be around at the ballpark every day. And he’s familiar with our minor-league system.’’

When Williams approached chairman Jerry Reinsdorf with the Ventura idea, he said Reinsdorf responded with a small grin. Reinsdorf told him the next day the idea was growing on him.

"From the very first day he put on a White Sox uniform,” Reinsdorf said in a statement, "it was apparent that Robin was a born leader.”

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Tony La Russa Retires!  That mooning the Emperor Big Time!

Who is going to take his place?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Think big Mac will try his hat? Will the owners let him? He lost a lot of respect after pleading the 5th in front of congress. I didn't lose any respect for him, man can still hit a baseball a shit ton mile! Steroids might make you stronger, but they don't make you see the ball better! Yeah, I said it!
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think big Mac will try his hat? Will the owners let him? He lost a lot of respect after pleading the 5th in front of congress. I didn't lose any respect for him, man can still hit a baseball a shit ton mile! Steroids might make you stronger, but they don't make you see the ball better! Yeah, I said it!

McGwire probably won't be in the manager discussion. He has 2 years experience being a hitting coach and thats it. He came back to the game because Tony thought he would make a good hitting coach and he has but I'm not sure he'll stick around with Tony gone. Same with Dave Duncan

Personally, I'd like to see Jose Oquendo step up and take the position. He has interviewed for managerial positions in the past and has been with the Cardinals since Whitey Herzog was manager. I think he can take his experience from Herzog and La Russa and turn into a really good manager. Not to mention him already being experienced with the team and the fact if he gets the job Albert may be more likely to sign a contract with the Cardinals. He was the Utility Man, played every position, manager is another one he could get off his list.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Epstein gave Mike Quade his walking papers.

I think that club may be something in a few years now with Jed Hoyer and Theo Epstein at work.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

It took a little longer than I thought it would

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Official:Mike Quade out as Cubs manager
The Chicago Cubs fired manager Mike Quade on Wednesday, and president of baseball operations Theo Epstein seems to have ruled out a popular name to succeed him in Ryne Sandberg.

The last part of that statement seemed to exclude Sandberg, and in fact Epstein did call him to say he wasn't in the running.

"The managerial search process begins immediately," Epstein said. "We are looking for someone with whom and around whom we can build a foundation for sustained success. The next manager must have leadership and communication skills; he must place an emphasis on preparation and accountability; he must establish high standards and a winning culture; he must have integrity and an open mind; and he must have managerial or coaching experience at the major league level."

Theo called me 10 minutes after they issued the press release (on Quade) and told me that they have a list of guys and I'm not on it,'' Sandberg said, according to the Daily Herald. "He wished me good luck and said he hoped I got a chance somewhere soon.

Edit to fix the WYSIWYG mess.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Mike Matheny will be the new Cards manager. Probably a big shock to most of Cards fans but we all have known him to be a great catcher and leader. I'm looking forward to the 2012 season!

Dale Sveum from the Brewers will take over managerial duties for the Cubs.

Looks like Terry Francona won't have a job in 2012. Not as a manager at least.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Kirk Gibson won the NL Manager of the Year award for his work with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

It's safe to say he has some job security.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Bobby Valentine is the next manager of the Red Sox

On Opening Day, every fan should wear this:

AsBobby V was fired THIS season....I was right.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Warming things up a bit: Spring Training is in sight!
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#31]
And is in progress....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top