Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked nice freeware guide (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2006 7:34:06 PM EDT
www.econsultant.com/i-want-freeware-utilities/index.html

Pretty nice list of "you want do do what:  here's what you do it with" freeware.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:27:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice link!

I'm always on the lookout for free stuff to download.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank You Sir
Link Posted: 5/7/2006 2:31:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Also have this one I put together months ago....

This is archived....

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=408728
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]
distrowatch.com/

^ linux & BSD based operating systems (bit torrents are usually quicker than any mirrors).
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By david_g17:
distrowatch.com/

^ linux & BSD based operating systems (bit torrents are usually quicker than any mirrors).

live cds  
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]
originally posted by OTAR

portableapps.com
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 1:54:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By cruze5:
originally posted by OTAR

portableapps.com

Now that multi-gig flash drives are cheap, this is fantastic.  I have OpenOffice, AbiWord, and about a dozen other apps sitting on less than half of a 2 gig PNY Attache drive.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:50:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Opesus] [#10]
Thanks for the list. It seems a little dated, but stll lots of good programs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]

I'm not a big Microsoft fan, but here is a list of MS freebies that is really quite impressive.

I'm going to have to check out Map Cruncher (I do some GIS stuff, this looks like a neat map/image registration tool) and a few others for myself.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 2:10:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone know of any free data recovery software?  Or is that unheard of?  I had an external hard drive that gave me an error and all that the manufacturer would tell me was to reformat and lose everything.  Something like this would have been nice.
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 2:28:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: k_semler] [#13]
GNU Cash:  Free OSS version of Quicken, (still in beta so regularly save your transactions, {has option to save every transaction as it's entered}).  I've found this program very helpful. Cross platform.  Very good quality

Gnu Image Minipulation Program, (G.I.M.P): A free OSS alternative to Photoshop.  Capable of editing many different image formats, but it has a steep learning curve and its aesthetics are quite lacking to be honest.  However, with plugins, this program is very capable of performing any task that you may ask of it.  Cross platform.  Good quality.

OpenOffice.org:  A Free OSS office suite.  Very similar to MSO, and in many ways superior.  Ability to save in MS formats, documents as PDF, and presentations as Flash.  Very capable, and very shallow learning curve.  Cross platform. Excellent quality.

AVG 7.5: Free Anti-virus utility.  Email scanner, web scanner, file scanner, on demand scanner, automatic daily updates.  Very good quality.

Ad Aware SE Personal Free Adware Scanner.  User initiated, but very good at detecting adware/spyware files installed on HDD and FDD.  Very good quality.

Spybot Search & Destroy:  A free spyware/adware scanner.  Excels in detecting registy entries.  On demand registry change authenication, user initiated, immunization database prevents installation or execution of known bad products.  Manual updates.  Very good quality.

Spyware Blaster: A free utility to prevent the installation or execution of spyware/adware.  Very good quality.

True Crypt:  A free, secure file encryption utility to keep your files unreadable, (and unknowable of existance), to unauthorized parties.  Very customizable, and ability to have layered, (invisible if you like), virtual encrypted drives.  Excellent quality, (if you use a secure authentication key with maximum encryption).  Excellent quality.

Eraser: A free OSS, secure file deletion utility conforming to NSA standards and greater.  Customizable file deletion data erasure
patterns, automatic "secure wipe" of empty space on HDD every morning at 00:01. Excellent quality.

File Recovery:  A free program that allows you to recover deleted files off of your HDD and FDD.  Very easy to use.  Simply select the drive and/or directory you wish to search, and enter the file name of the file you wish to recover.  Very thorough, but takes a little bit of time to find "deleted" files.  Very good quality.

Boot and Nuke:  A free OSS program that securely erases your HDD upon starting your computer.  Very effective at its purpose.  This is a must have if you ever intend to sell your computer, or need a VERY secure data wipe of your entire system.  I will warn you, DO NOT START YOUR COMPUTER WITH THIS DISK IN THE FDD IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO IRRECOVERABLY ERASE EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE OS!!!  This will do as advertised, and "nuke" your system.  After using this, your system WILL NOT BE USABLE without re-installation of an OS.  This wipes your system 100% clean.  Unequaled in quality.

Knoppix Live CD:  A Free OSS Run-From-CD Debian based Linux CD.  Complete w/ OS and full compliment of utilities.  Combine this w/ a flash drive, and you'll have all your computing needs in a portable package.  This is very useful for system recovery operations, (actually reads "unreadable" drives in MS Windows), as well as a portable system for either testing Knoppix, or as a portable personal desktop, (if you also use a flashdrive).  This is also installable to the HDD as a conventional OS if you so desire.  Excellent quality.

I have more programs if your interested.  About the only pay program on my computer that I have is the OS.  Everything on my system is free ware, and I've had no issues whatsoever.  I can run virtually any file, and have had no infections.  I don't even use IE or OE.  It's kind of hard to beat free for a price, and until I find a software company that pays me to run thier software, I'll run free alternatives on my system.
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 3:49:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I wanted to mention that I have started using Google Docs a lot more in the past few months.

I'm not comfortable putting anything sensitive and unencrypted up on a third party server, but for run of the mill documents, lists, non-confidential work stuff, it's nice to have it available from any web browser in the world.

For specific things like class syllabus and homework listings for my students, the "Publish" feature (publishes it to the internet, viewable at a specific URL) is FANTASTIC.  I've also started using the "Collaborate" feature to work on documents with coworkers.

docs.google.com
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 10:58:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 45calmike] [#16]
Great Links!
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#17]
nice list, thanks
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#18]
cool!
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#19]
definate tag
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:17:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NevisRuprecht] [#20]
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#21]
cool. thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#22]
tagaroo
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#23]
FreewareFiles
Freeware Only

MajorGeeks
Freeware and Shareware

FileForum/Betanews
Freeware and Shareware

Shell Extension City
1,000,000 + Freeware Programs

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#24]
nice
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#25]
My old friend.

Delpart

Put it on a bootable USB key, and you can nuke just about anything.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 2:14:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for all of this info.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks I found one thing in there at the a whole group of IT guys said was impossible.  Once again affirming my beliefs that nothing on a computer is impossible, without bugs or impentratable.
Link Posted: 8/9/2008 2:03:32 AM EDT
[#30]
For research records (a citations database):  Zotero
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 3:10:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#32]
Finally found what I've been looking for for a long, long time - an antivirus live run CD.

http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html
http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system (Updated January 2012)
Scroll down to "Avira AntiVir Rescue System" for the rescuecd.iso file download link.  This is updated regularly (almost daily) with new definitions files built in to the CD.

http://dnl-eu10.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/RescueDisk/
http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/ (Updated January 2012)
Kaspersky anti-virus also has a bootable antivirus scanner, the current version as of Jan 2012 is a stripped down live linux distro based on Gentoo with full graphic interface or you can select a minimal non-graphic interface.  It also connects for updates, and was the only AV out of many I tried that successfully found and eliminated a rather nasty rootkit on a machine I worked on recently.

http://www.f-secure.com/linux-weblog/files/f-secure-rescue-cd-3.11.23804.zip
http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/removal/rescue-cd (Updated January 2012)
As discussed here
F-Secure also has a bootable rescue antivirus CD, which connects to download updated definitions if you have internet connectivity on the computer, or can use a definitions file from a USB drive.  Also has some additional utilities.

You can also build your own windows bootable CD with the BartPE builder and an XP cd, and add AV/spyware scanning programs to your build although I haven't tried this route yet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#33]
For the Mac users and those considering the purchase of a Mac:

This first link, a blog, isn't freeware but it IS a good source of information for new Mac owners and those wishing to brush up on their skills. There are links within the blog for recommended freeware:

www.interrupt19.com

Lighthead Software offers "Caffeine", a small app that overrides your Mac's sleep function so that your screen doesn't go to sleep while watching lengthy web videos, movies, or while giving presentations. Very popular. Settings can be customized.

www.lightheadsw.com

VideoLAN - VLC media player

This app allows you to play just about any type of video file that Quicktime (Mac's video software) will not including MPEG, WMV, and .avi (DivX).

Will also play .wma audio files.

www.videolan.org

Papparazzi

Mac's OS X operating system allows you to capture web pages as images in .pdf format using the browser's print feature (Safari, Firefox). Papparazzi allows you to capture web pages via the Safari browser in a variety of formats. Settings can be customized.

http://derailer.org/paparazzi/

Link Posted: 2/4/2009 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Found this one by chance.  WOW.  It kept me busy for a while.  It has free and shareware, and offers a free program give away a day that would regularly be charged for.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/  

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I can see this hasn't had an update for a while, here's my contribution.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/maximum_pcs_32_totally_essential_apps
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Dig for Windows (command line _real_ DNS lookup)

ProcExplorer.exe (From Microsoft)

BareGrep.exe  (Grep for Windows (GUI only) that lets you find text strings, this is GREAT for looking at log files)

WireShark packet sniffer

And seriously, there's a good web site that explains all of the little commands and switches for Windows command line, that should be copied to the thumb drive or just printed to a folder.  You can do some amazing stuff with just the command line if you know what you are doing.
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#37]
A program to reset (change) Windows Admin passwords.  There are several.  The names escape me at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:50:00 AM EDT
[#38]

The Microsoft Forum Network is a great forum community.  Here is a nice list of freeware:

http://www.msfn.org/board/free-software-list-t129933.html

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Cremora:
A program to reset (change) Windows Admin passwords.  There are several.  The names escape me at the moment.

I got a little SAM manipulation tool - Works on every NT based M$ O/S from NT4 Workstation thru W7RC including server editions. Even worked on RAIDS!

Strangely, the name escapes me too. I carry it on a business card CD and its labeled "Don't Ask!"

"Active Directory" is another issue.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#40]
More free Mac apps:

http://www.macappguide.com/
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 3:26:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Waste of time, lots of that stuff is out-dated and there are better alternatives than 2 or 3 of the things I looked for.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Good commentary, did you have something helpful to offer?
Link Posted: 9/26/2010 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#43]
A free WYSIWYG web design gem. It's sort of clunky if you go from using something a little more expensive. But for my freeware website build where i only use free programs like GIMP and a free ftp it's working ok.

http://netobjects.com/html/downloads.html
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Keepass password manager.

What is KeePass?
Today you need to remember many passwords. You need a password for the Windows network logon, your e-mail account, your website's FTP password, online passwords (like website member account), etc. etc. etc. The list is endless. Also, you should use different passwords for each account. Because if you use only one password everywhere and someone gets this password you have a problem... A serious problem. The thief would have access to your e-mail account, website, etc. Unimaginable.

KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key file. So you only have to remember one single master password or select the key file to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish). For more information, see the features page.

I use it.  One feature that I like is that you can paste your username and password into the appropriate fields Keepass will erase them from your clipboard after 10 seconds.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I use KeePass as part of the PortableApps suite.  Very handy!
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#46]
great thread
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By sem1845:
great thread

+1

Link Posted: 2/19/2011 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By luxurysportauto:
Waste of time, lots of that stuff is out-dated and there are better alternatives than 2 or 3 of the things I looked for.

I concur. A great site for free programs that is updated frequently check out: http://www.techsupportalert.com/
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#49]
tagarooni

I've got to edumacate myself! My computer is trashed!

Hessian-1
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#50]
since M$ didn't put native support in Windows 7 for having different wallpapers on different monitors
http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/download.html

it looks to be pretty basic, but it worked great for setting 2 separate wallpapers
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Tacked nice freeware guide (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top