Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2017 12:30:05 AM EDT
I tried Citristrip which works on latex and oil-based paint, varnish, lacquer, enamel, polyurethane, shellac, acrylics and epoxy from
wood, metal and masonry surfaces but it did nothing to the green coating on the PCB.

I need to expose the copper leads of a circuit so I can fix the open.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#1]
The green coating is typically called "solder mask" - I have not done this myself, but I have seen recommendations for using paint stripper (which, apparently, you tried without success), acetone, or careful application of abrasion, such as with a Dremel, but that risks removing the copper traces too.

It is possible that the solder mask on your board is some kind of epoxy formulation, which would explain the difficulty in stripping it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:46:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The green coating is typically called "solder mask" - I have not done this myself, but I have seen recommendations for using paint stripper (which, apparently, you tried without success), acetone, or careful application of abrasion, such as with a Dremel.

It is possible that the solder mask on your board is some kind of epoxy formulation, which would explain the difficulty in stripping it.
View Quote
I am leaning towards a Dremel (since I have one).
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I added a caution above regarding being extra careful with abrasion because it's very easy to go too far and remove the copper traces as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top