Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2017 5:36:05 PM EDT
Looking for a way to search two or more excel sheets for matching/un matching data.

They are separate work books, but are in the same format/column row layout.

If I can't search totally different excel books, I would be willing to try to move them all to diff sheets in same book.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you looking to search for specific differences or just be provided a list of differences?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#2]
if you know how to search other sheets in the same workbook, just sub in the other workbook name.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-an-external-reference-link-to-a-cell-range-in-another-workbook-c98d1803-dd75-4668-ac6a-d7cca2a9b95f
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Not 100% sure what you are trying to do, but if you are looking to compare two seperate Excel files you can use this website and/or pay to download the full app:  https://www.diffnow.com/

I've used to compare contracts for changes in both Word and PDF formats.  You can mix formats too.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#4]
if you're looking to simply see if records are on one another, just do a quick vlookup
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you looking to search for specific differences or just be provided a list of differences?
View Quote
Basically I have several workbooks of data. The data is in a similar layout, in terms of categories.

I'd like to compare workbook 1, to work book 2 in certain areas/columns, and workbook 2 to workbook three.

Trying to find out what workbook 1 has data wise that another work book has or doesn't have,etc.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been messing with this on and off for a few days after searching, and earlier suggestions and I'm still having a hard time.

Say I have a workbook called, workbook1.xls, and another called workbook2.xls.

They each have the same columns/rows and titles, although varying amounts of data.

In workbook 1, I have column a (name), in column 2  (phone number)

In workbook 2, I have column a (Some of the names from wb1, but some are different), and in column 2 (Nothing).

What kind of formula would I need to use such that I could match the name column in workbook 2 with wb 1, and every time there was a match it would add the text from column 2 on wb 1, to wb 2?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

In workbook 1, I have column a (name), in column 2  (phone number)

In workbook 2, I have column a (Some of the names from wb1, but some are different), and in column 2 (Nothing).

What kind of formula would I need to use such that I could match the name column in workbook 2 with wb 1, and every time there was a match it would add the text from column 2 on wb 1, to wb 2?
View Quote
So you have to put the formula in workbook 2, column 2.
I kind of hate Vlookup but here is the basic parts that matter.
=VLOOKUP(Sheet2!A1,A2:B10,2,TRUE)

=SUM('C:\Reports\[Budget.xlsx]Annual'!C10:C25)

So for what you describe
in cell b2 in workbook 2
=VLOOKUP(A2,'C:\workbook1\[workbook1.xlsx]TAB1'A2:B10,2,TRUE)

In theory should work.

so A2 is in workbook2 looking at the first name in that column.
It will then check workbook1 Column A starting at row 2 till row 10. Make that whatever you need.
2 means it will pull from column 2 on the same row where a2 matched.
If you copy and past this into your cells, it should auto index for the rows.
You may have to correct the b10 part to not continuously move down further.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top