Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2017 11:14:51 AM EDT
I can't really use this thing, fully updated, but even one or two apps are too much for it to run.  Is it worth it to load another version of the OS on it?  I would have to manually update it to the latest version of Android.  I need it as a stop gap while my iPad is being repaired.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#1]
That doesn't sound right at all? Full update and factory reset?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking about a tablet?

First step is factory reset. 
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you talking about a tablet?

First step is factory reset. 
View Quote
Yes and already done.  I guess I'll load Nougat.  Astounded at how bad this thing is.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you turned off all the unneeded stuff running in the background?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have you turned off all the unneeded stuff running in the background?
View Quote
It's a brand new factory reset.  It crawls with only Kindle and Gmail running.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one and it still runs good, even though I virtually never use it. I remember having to load the latest Android version on it about a year ago to run some newer software.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I think they build in some fail features on smartphones and tablets.

Note 3 pretty much as barfed on me, ended up buying a LG for $200 new from Verizon and it screams.

I have a Nexus phone from 2013 time frame and it will barely run as well, even reloaded it. I don't recall it being that slow when bought new.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Could be a hardware issue if you did a full factory reset... I'd take the stock image from the Google factory images site and flash it from your computer.

I have one of those tablets and they are great. Even a couple years old, plenty snappy to run just about anything.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The 2013 Nexus 7 had a memory bug that slowly killed it.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/18/googles-nexus-7-tablets-dying-early-possibly-due-to-cheap-memory
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know about your version or exactly what a factory reset does, if it changes versions of the os or just leaves the current and wipes.

I know that we have an older nexus that has issues with the current and a few steps older version.

I had to hack it and load in a older version of the os so that it would run at all. Wife has to ignore the update messages.
It would just bog down and not run right if you updated past a certain point.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
I think that is the problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top