Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2017 3:40:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you're running Cisco for personal development / professional skills training, there's no reason to pay that kind of money. 

Personally, I'd get rid of the Cisco gear and put in a few Ubiquiti AC Pros with a cloud key. 
(since I'm guessing you already have the wires run)

If you want to go wireless for the links, still get rid of the Cisco and go for a Netgear Orbi.

Disclosure - I used to run an AB version of the Cisco 11xx series, and was ready to go Ubiquiti until I got a Meraki demo stack. I'm not impressed with their N model AP...
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#2]
What controller are you running?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Ubiquiti UniFI

https://www.ubnt.com/products/
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out Ubiquiti UniFI

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 3 story house built in 1850... Thick plaster walls that really cut down the signals. I went with cheap POE switches and Cisco WAP121 POE access points that run in a mesh... So I only have one visible wireless network. The switches are LUXUL 1008P, 8 port managed POE switches... I haven't paid more than $50 for them or more than $20 for the access points. (eBay)

One switch is in the basement and one is trunked up on the third floor,  I then drop the POE access points where needed by running CAT6 cables.  I even have an outdoor wireless N point to cover the back yard and garage. Not needing power where I put the access points makes it nice and easy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
OST
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This
View Quote
Yep.  Look at the Unifi Mesh AP's.  You can use them as regular wired access points or just connect to power and they will uplink over wireless.  The basic AP's can also run isolated, but the mesh versions have additional hardware to minimize the performance hit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Almost all consumer routers let you turn off the "router" parts, in reality just turn off dhcp and don't use the uplink port. If they support dd wrt or similar even better as you can easily do virtual APs and VLANs.

That said I used Aruba IAP 225s in my house, scored two Lucent branded ones for $160 on eBay once so I put one upstairs on one end of the house and one downstairs on the other. Easily covers my decent sized house and the backyard as well. They support mesh, but I wired them to the network and power them with PoE.

ETA: I use an Intel Atom based half depth 1U SuperMicro case and board to run PFSense, pulls about ~10W for my router and I have multiple 24p Dell switches, upstairs and downstairs are linked via 10g fiber... And another 24 port on my server rack in the "crawl" basement room off the garage... Did 4-6 runs to all the rooms, all the CCTV IP cameras, then servers with extra ports for BMCs, mostly filled the switches up although utilization is pretty low.

Commercial APs are rarely about range though, usually more about density. Considering how poorly 5 GHz penetrates, this doesn't bother me too much. Ubiquiti seems to be an exception from reviews although I've never owned anything from them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check out Ubiquiti UniFI

This
This. I have a 4000 sqft house and run a complete UniFi system.  It's great, ask away
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't forget the cheap outside AP for wifi while sitting in the pool, drinking beer outside.  I've been pretty happy with their ap's.  they don't have some of the features on Aruba or Cisco high end systems but the price is right.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No need.  I picked up 2 UniFi AC PRO APs.  They work great!  I think I'll have to add 1, maybe 2 more, but I'm completely happy for now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This. I have a 4000 sqft house and run a complete UniFi system.  It's great, ask away
No need.  I picked up 2 UniFi AC PRO APs.  They work great!  I think I'll have to add 1, maybe 2 more, but I'm completely happy for now.
Excellent choice.  I have 4 AC Pro's, one on each floor and one in the garage.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Also, I believe the AC Pro's are water-resistant enough to be located in protected outdoor spaces, like an outdoor porch ceiling or under suitable wide and protected eaves.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Also, I believe the AC Pro's are water-resistant enough to be located in protected outdoor spaces, like an outdoor porch ceiling or under suitable wide and protected eaves.
View Quote
looking at the one in front of me.. "possible captain, but not recommended" is my vote.  they are semi disposable I guess , the dedicated device is pretty cheap too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top