Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2017 6:48:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It is very rare that I have ever referred someone from one forum to another, but one of the subjects that has more forums than guns are computers. Dare I use the word "trump"? But, I think the only subject that trumps computers are cars.

To the point ... check this site out. I have found it has one of the broadest range of computer related topics of the several computer forums that I am also on. Note the forum "cops" are probably all younger than 18 with the exception of a few lawyers ... there can be some inconsistent control so don't be surprised that there can be arf-like speak, but not always allowed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Something small I can hook up to the TV for streaming and general net surfing.

Here's what I have so far:

Pentium 4560
AsRock H110M-STX Mini-STX Motherboard
32GB DDR4 RAM
SilverStone VT02B case and power supply
WiFi adapter and antennas
M.2 240GB SSD Drive

I think that puts me right around $500 before the OS.  Recommend any changes?  Many other motherboards out there for cheaper.  Crucial has a cheaper 275GB SSD.  
View Quote

I would just go with  the AsRock Desk Mini 110. Its a bare bones kit that uses the same motherboard and comes with a case, power supply, wifi with antennas and HD cables.

Newegg has them on sale for $120. Use promo code: EMCRFCD65 to get it for around $100.

Desk Mini New Egg

32gb Ram is a waist of money for this system. I would just go with 16 or even 8.

You will probably be fine with the crucial ssd. I doubt you notice a difference in performance for what you are using this for.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at the Intel NUC 6th gen or 7th gen I3.  Just need to add RAM and storage.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
And to muddy the waters a little more, Intel just announced a USB3 connected credit card sized micro system... 
tiny
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
You want 32GB of RAM to surf the internet and stream TV shows?  Not to mention the other hardware is overkill.

Buy an Amazon Fire TV for $100 and a Raspberry Pi to surf the net for $35.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are planning on using Windows 10, I hope that you have better luck that I'm having.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are planning on using Windows 10, I hope that you have better luck that I'm having.  

Vulcan94
View Quote
Please explain.  What problems have you encountered?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Please explain.  What problems have you encountered?
View Quote
I've been having problem with it updating to the creators update.  It would start the updating process, reboot twice and then I would get a BOOTMGR is corrupt error message. I ended up having to do 4 clean installs.  I called Microsoft 4 different time trying to get this resolved.  Finally today a Microsoft tech called me who actually knew what he was doing and got it installed.

So, my experience with Windows 10 has not been pleasant, but I guess I will see how it actually runs now that it's installed.

Vulcan94
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top