Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2017 11:17:41 AM EDT
My laptop has been painfully slow since installing Windows 10 (64 bit)
I'm running a Celeron N2840 2.16GHz with 4GB RAM

Would simply bumping the RAM up to 16GB fix it, or will I need to switch out the processor as well?

Is there a way to know if I need a 204 pin or a 260 pin or a DDR3, DDR3L, or a DDR4 without opening the case?

Now I'm even more confused after looking on New Egg because they're also mentioning speed and latency which mean nothing to me.

Any brand or specs you recommend?  Any to avoid?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Bumping up beyond 4GB of RAM certainly couldn't hurt. 

Was this Windows 10 install an upgrade or a fresh install?

You ought to be able to search Google for your computer's specs, as in "Dell Inspiron 3650 specs". 

Changing a CPU on a laptop is an iffy proposition. Sometimes, they're soldered to the motherboard, so you're out of luck. If it's an older laptop, you may find some CPU upgrades, but they might be expensive enough that they aren't worth it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it already have a SSD installed if not that would be a relatively easy change to get enhanced performance?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Add 8 gig ram and a sad and it'll be a hummer.
Well, more better.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Sad?

SSD
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:43:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bumping up beyond 4GB of RAM certainly couldn't hurt. 

Was this Windows 10 install an upgrade or a fresh install?

You ought to be able to search Google for your computer's specs, as in "Dell Inspiron 3650 specs". 

Changing a CPU on a laptop is an iffy proposition. Sometimes, they're soldered to the motherboard, so you're out of luck. If it's an older laptop, you may find some CPU upgrades, but they might be expensive enough that they aren't worth it.
View Quote
Windows 10 came out shortly after I got it.  It had 8.
Does the CPU sound able, and I shouldn't worry about attempting to switch it out?  Or wait and see after I switch out the RAM?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:43:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
put the model number into crucial.com memory finder and go from there
View Quote
thanks, I'll try that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does it already have a SSD installed if not that would be a relatively easy change to get enhanced performance?
View Quote
I don't know yet.  I haven't opened it.  I saw someone open one up once.  I'll just take a picture so I know where the screws go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:51:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Add 8 gig ram and a sad and it'll be a hummer.
Well, more better.
View Quote
Would 8 be good, but 16 would be better?  Or would 8 be great, but 16 would be overkill?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:51:55 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are running a Celeron CPU then I suspect it is just slow, and there is likely no upgrading it. And if you have at least 4gb of ram then I doubt upgrading will even make the slightest difference. It's real easy to tell if you are low on ram, just open task manager and look at the usage, which is most likely fine. If your CPU is staying at 100% or near it then that's you have a software problem that can probably be fixed though. As far as I know Celerons are about ten years old and if that is the case then throw the laptop away.

If the CPU is at 100% all the time and it is a Windows process using it then it's probably the Windows updates causing an issue. I've seen this a couple times. You'll know for sure because if you look at the updates it will always say "downloading" or have some type of error rather than ever being up to date. The fix is rather simple, Google how to reset windows updates.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:01:15 AM EDT
[#11]
It's a Celeron, you are not going to get much improvement.  I would get a new laptop with a better processor.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine did the damn forced update last week and hasn't been able to get online since. I've tried via wireless and Ethernet, it connects to the router just fine and says it's connected to internet, and my Outlook works just fine. Edge, IE, and chrome have all been tried to no avail, I've even tried completely turning off the firewall. I HATE Microsoft
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mine did the damn forced update last week and hasn't been able to get online since. I've tried via wireless and Ethernet, it connects to the router just fine and says it's connected to internet, and my Outlook works just fine. Edge, IE, and chrome have all been tried to no avail, I've even tried completely turning off the firewall. I HATE Microsoft
View Quote
Do you NEED Microsoft?
I have a desktop and a laptop that were both given new life by dumping Microsoft.
Ten years old. Used to have Vista on both of them.
Installed versions of Linux. Like new machines.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Do you NEED Microsoft?
I have a desktop and a laptop that were both given new life by dumping Microsoft.
Ten years old. Used to have Vista on both of them.
Installed versions of Linux. Like new machines.
View Quote
Unfortunately for some of my software like vehicle ecu tuning stuff, I do need it. I do have a copy of an Android tuning software that will run on a phone, but I havent been able to get it to install on my chomebook yet. I'm not exactly the most computer savvy person either though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top