Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2017 12:40:48 AM EDT
Well, I got left a message from a long ago former customer who was running SCO OpenServer 5.04 back in 1999.

They did get Y2K patches for their FoxPro stuff, and they were going to convert to MySQL (shit poor customer with ancient POS systems).
Well, they never did upgrade beyond those patches and now their drives have all died (3 sets of backups were stuck in a filing cabinet when we left the assignment back then)
So they dug my contact info out on LinkedIn and asked if I could help or know of anyone who they could call.

I sent them the contact info for Xenuix (who bought out SCO) and I would love to be a fly on the wall when they find out they are going to need to spend $$$ for back payments on support and $$$ on service to have someone fix it "again".

I've had 2 glasses of scotch when I saw the message pop up on my droid.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember working for the Senate here in Texas in 1998 they were still running OS/2 on a Token Ring Network and running TCP/IP over the Token Ring. IIRC they went to NT 4 sometime in the early Aughts.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well, I got left a message from a long ago former customer who was running SCO OpenServer 5.04 back in 1999.

They did get Y2K patches for their FoxPro stuff, and they were going to convert to MySQL (shit poor customer with ancient POS systems).
Well, they never did upgrade beyond those patches and now their drives have all died (3 sets of backups were stuck in a filing cabinet when we left the assignment back then)
So they dug my contact info out on LinkedIn and asked if I could help or know of anyone who they could call.

I sent them the contact info for Xenuix (who bought out SCO) and I would love to be a fly on the wall when they find out they are going to need to spend $$ for back payments on support and $$ on service to have someone fix it "again".

I've had 2 glasses of scotch when I saw the message pop up on my droid.
View Quote

Old Unix is the best Unix!!

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Computer Chronicles: Overview on Open Desktop and SCO
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I hear from a group running 5.0.5 every few years. Last time was 6 years ago and they still refused to migrate to different software/platform. I think I've bailed them out 5 or 6 times over the last 20 years. They've only upgraded hardware twice in those 20 years. You can lead a horse to water, but...
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate hate hate working on/being responsible for absurdly outdated legacy systems. Shit I won't even touch anything older than XP at this point

Guess someone has to do it and charge a price for it, though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Wait - so they *genuinely* owe SCO money, and not because they were using Linux?

You think people here are conflicted over things like Republicans with poor gun records?  I spent a lot of time on Slashdot when SCO started sending out their "licensing" demands. I thought heads were going to explode over the prospect of having IBM to thank for turning Caldera into their figurative namesake.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top