Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2017 3:50:27 PM EDT
I am setting up my small business, and would like to get a UPS for my major electronics.  That would include a tower PC, a cable modem, and 4 camera surveillance system with DVR.  I would just like something to protect from surges, and also keep the camera system and the modem and router running for a few hours if the power goes out.  I was looking at this one UPS
Would this one work?  If not, can someone suggest one that will.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am setting up my small business, and would like to get a UPS for my major electronics.  That would include a tower PC, a cable modem, and 4 camera surveillance system with DVR.  I would just like something to protect from surges, and also keep the camera system and the modem and router running for a few hours if the power goes out.  I was looking at this one UPS
View Quote

I think those CyberPower things are junk. Just get a APC unit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You will not run anything for hours with that UPS. You need to know how many watts your load is and then find a UPS with a large enough battery capacity to run it for your desired run time.

Here is something that may be helpful

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/pso/zones/by_load.cfm?location_type=home
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I use an apc br1500g. It can be used with their extended battery pack to triple it's run time. I have what you are asking about backed up this way. I was after runtime. So this worked for me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Br24bpg is the ext pack
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#5]
How do I figure out the wattage for the DVR and cameras?  The only thing I want to continue running is the DVR and cameras, and possibly the router.  It is a simple system, just want to know that it will still record if the power happens to go out
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do I figure out the wattage for the DVR and cameras?  The only thing I want to continue running is the DVR and cameras, and possibly the router.  It is a simple system, just want to know that it will still record if the power happens to go out
View Quote
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009MDBU?tag=vglnk-c102-20

edit link
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Look on each device or it's power brick. It will show it's max wattage. Your devices will work on the A PC system I posted for quite a while. You will pay for runtime. It's not cheap.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I have multiple UPSs on vital systems.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Look on each device or it's power brick. It will show it's max wattage. Your devices will work on the A PC system I posted for quite a while. You will pay for runtime. It's not cheap.
View Quote
I went with the APC you posted.  Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't need a UPS in this case, you need a generator.  A UPS is a very short-term solution for short (minutes, not hours) power outages, and to give you time to bring your hardware down gracefully.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
So far so good on a CyberPower 1500 from 2013. I've had my share of issues with rack mount APCs, mainly they don't fail gracefully. They would take out power to attached devices when battery reached EOL.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You don't need a UPS in this case, you need a generator.  A UPS is a very short-term solution for short (minutes, not hours) power outages, and to give you time to bring your hardware down gracefully.
View Quote
+1.

UPS'es are primarily to give you enough time to shutdown the computer gracefully, e.g. UPS activation event notifies agent software on host which triggers shutdown of all applications and the host itself so it doesn't lose power in the middle of a write operation. Depending on the UPS, it could also condition the electrical power source going into the host.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So far so good on a CyberPower 1500 from 2013. I've had my share of issues with rack mount APCs, mainly they don't fail gracefully. They would take out power to attached devices when battery reached EOL.
View Quote
Same here.  I also had an issue with APC's offerings and their square wave output not playing well (at all) with my Dell machines.  Cyberpower - works fine, lasts a long time.

That said... if you want hours of backup power OP, as others have said, you're talking generator... or an UPS the size of a room for $$$$$.  A 1500 watt UPS will get you maybe 30 minutes.  Plenty for a graceful shutdown or an intermittent outage.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't remember where I bought it from.
But they had great prices on them...

I got a Silver color APC S15 for $299.00 a few years ago..

It outputs a pure sine wave. I have in in my Home Theater rack...

I think it may have been Vanns.com
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#16]
APC 1500 unit with the extra battery pack will get you 30min on what you described, but, using a watt meter to pinpoint your actual usage is a must.

My gear is all protected with APC and nothing else comes close. The other stuff out there only BARELY manages to keep a few wall warts running ... and only an hour.

The Back-UPS Pro 1500VA and external battery BR24BPG should be considered the "minimum" if you are serious about surge and lights-out protection.

I get 25min with my 2008 Mac Pro, DSL modem, network switch, IP phone, and mail server (Lenova TS-140 Zimbra server)

The thing to do is have the items that can be shut down, go down gracefully when the power from the wall is off and the drain is at 75%.
- Mac Pro goes dormant first
- Mail server then shuts down
DSL modem and VoIP will stay on for HOURS once the hogs are powered down. 12 watts between them ...

I did have to replace the batts last year, but, I went with all UB1290 units (9AH vs 7AH from the factory, even in the ext battery pack)
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#17]
We have 3 of the cyberpower 1500 units and they have been excellent. I went longer than I should have on the battery replacement for the two older ones but still never had any issues. They dont give more than around 15 min of uptime during a power failure since I have a lot of stuff on them but I got them mainly to protect my equipment against power surges and flickers. We live rural and its not uncommon for the power to blink off for a second occasionally.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an APC 1500VA for the DVR/computer and a smaller 600va for the cable modem/IOT hub.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#19]
can someone recommend a quiet UPS?  The router/wifi/cablemodem devices (will only need about 600VA) are in the bedroom so i need something that will let me completely disable the beeper/buzzer via physical switch or in software and is just quiet as possible as far as fan an operating noise.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#20]
My cyberpower is silent until something is wrong.

You want to be notified is something is wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top