Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2017 9:29:39 PM EDT
I am currently working on my ISC2 CISSP.  Boss walks up and says, "We'll pay for you to get a Masters in IT Security or similar.  Oh, you already have your Masters?  We'd pay for a Ph.D."

If I have the ability to work on a free Masters in IT Security, which one would you guys recommend?  Are any of them worth anything?

(PS: I have no desire to do a Ph.D., thesis writing/defense, etc. )
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#1]
check the fine print on that.
anything past a BS where I work required like promised time after or you have to pay it back.
something like having to work an additional 2 or 4 years after the degree was completed or you owed the company money.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
anything past a BS where I work required like promised time after or you have to pay it back.
something like having to work an additional 2 or 4 years after the degree was completed or you owed the company money.
View Quote
Also at my company you pay the cost upfront and then submit for reimbursement at the end of each semesters.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Also at my company you pay the cost upfront and then submit for reimbursement at the end of each semesters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Done and done.

I have the ability to work on a free Masters in IT Security, which one would you guys recommend? Are any of them worth anything?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
so I guess it depends on where you are going.
the 2 most looked for that I have seen were the ethical hacking type pen testing.
I have seen the ads, and noted the shortage at work. back log is crazy to get someone to do any security checks.
Whatever gets you in that boat seems to be the ticket.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Look into SANS MA.  Primarily based on their GIAC training so you get the MA and the certs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#6]
$5250 is the max reimbursement you can get, or the IRS will come get its due. 
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]
No recommendation- Thumbs up on a great employer and opportunity.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's per year right, not lifetime?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#9]
get into forensics , more secure position .  
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is relevant to my interests (sorry for co-op'ing your thread, OP).

I've been in the industry for about 20-25 years, but it has been nearly as long since I graduated.  What's the difference in a masters degre and a masters certificate?
View Quote
Certificates are generally a couple of classes in a particular area.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any value in them, or do you need the full boat?  (see what I did there?)

After floating through so many jobs over the years, I find it hard to pin down my specific skills.  At the same time, I have a huge wealth of experience from almost every part of the business:  IT, development, product design/management, tech sales, SE, complex solution design, services delivery and client sat/advocacy.

I think my goal for going back to school would be to fill any gaps and add some quantifiable skills/knowledge to replace all my technical certs that have aged out (Microsoft, Checkpoint, Nortel).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is relevant to my interests (sorry for co-op'ing your thread, OP).

I've been in the industry for about 20-25 years, but it has been nearly as long since I graduated.  What's the difference in a masters degre and a masters certificate?
Certificates are generally a couple of classes in a particular area.
Any value in them, or do you need the full boat?  (see what I did there?)

After floating through so many jobs over the years, I find it hard to pin down my specific skills.  At the same time, I have a huge wealth of experience from almost every part of the business:  IT, development, product design/management, tech sales, SE, complex solution design, services delivery and client sat/advocacy.

I think my goal for going back to school would be to fill any gaps and add some quantifiable skills/knowledge to replace all my technical certs that have aged out (Microsoft, Checkpoint, Nortel).
I've never seen a job advertisement that asks for one...  

I guess it's the kind of continuing education you could use to show some education in a specific part of a field, but I suspect they're not terribly valuable otherwise.  They're not comparable to a degree.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Read the fine print on how long you have to stay after
But its great to get a Master on the job
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do believe it is per year. 
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's per year. The issue is your company can provide tuition assistance up to that amount, then after that amount it gets taxed. Your company will takes out the taxed amount then you have to cover the remainder.

I'm on my last year of an employer paid Masters program.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's per year. The issue is your company can provide tuition assistance up to that amount, then after that amount it gets taxed. Your company will takes out the taxed amount then you have to cover the remainder.

I'm on my last year of an employer paid Masters program.
View Quote
It's per year however upto 10k for a graduate program.   Have to pay tax after that.  

My employer had no fine print however even if they do... who cares.   Opportunities will open up with higher education
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Do a google search with site:*.edu and find a well know school.   Skip the PhD unless u want to take a big pay cut and teach.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do a google search with site:*.edu and find a well know school.   Skip the PhD unless u want to take a big pay cut and teach.
View Quote
Thank you all for the responses.  I'll keep you posted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top