Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2017 8:52:18 PM EDT
I have asked a similar question but this time the issue is with games.
I am hitting 70c on Beam Ng Drive
i have a
GTX 970
AMD fx8350 that is liquid cooled by a corsair H55
and two case fans..
My normal operating temp is 42c
Any things else I can do to keep it cool or is this an okay temp for gaming??
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Not play games based on unreal engine? 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Little high although I wouldn't worry to much till you hit 90 or so. Will have to look next time I am playing a that is graphic intensive to see what mine gets to. I know at least for my video card I can look at it and will show from green to red how much it is working. Only a few games get it to red most barely get it to yellow.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll know you're running too hot when your BIOS goes into thermal shutdown. Until then.. game on.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
70c is on the warm side.. I think the thermal limit is 90ish. Get another case fan, I run 2 in front, 2 in the top for my cpu radiator and 1 exhaust. Whats the GPU temps?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Blow all the dust out of the radiator if you haven't already.  Also, it might be time to pull the cooler off and replace the thermal compound.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i have a
GTX 970
and two case fans..
View Quote

There's your problem, get a better thermal solution; under full load, the AMD is drawing over 300W.

Compared to your fx8350, that i7 draws about 215W under full load.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:09:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blow all the dust out of the radiator if you haven't already.  Also, it might be time to pull the cooler off and replace the thermal compound.
View Quote
If you haven't checked lately, make sure the heat sink is still properly affixed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Another idea to consider is that water cooling temps can be a bit confusing as it takes a while to peak and stabilize. There are a few videos on YouTube about this, but the long and the short is that water can retain a LOT of heat, and can take quite a while to heat up the whole loop of fluid.

So that 70C may just be the real "normal" temp (for your current setup) under an extended load that lasts long enough to heat up the whole loop.

Metal air coolers heat up and stabilize relatively quick, and cool down (after the load is removed) pretty quickly as well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There's your problem, get a better thermal solution; under full load, the AMD is drawing over 300W.

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/water_cooling/H55andH60/stock_26.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have a
GTX 970
and two case fans..

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/water_cooling/H55andH60/stock_26.jpg

This.  The H55 is okay, but an H80 is better, or a H100/H110 if you have room is even better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top