Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2017 10:34:33 PM EDT
Ok, I know my way around tech pretty well, so I feel dumb for asking this.  Is there any way through Itunes to do a full backup/restore of an iphone?  my Iphone 7 has been acting up, and I want to simply do a full reset and then restore, restoring all data and settings currently on the phone to simply clone the pre-reset phone.   From what I am reading here(under Itunes backups), Itunes backup does not restore app store content.  I don't want to have to go back through and re-download all of my current apps individually, and don't want to lose progress on the few games and tools and such that I have on it.  

Am I just misreading that page, and will restoring queue up my current apps to download after the restore, complete with saved data within the apps?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The short answer is yes, it is easy and will restore your app data.

The process is simple.  Open iTunes, then check for any updates from the Help menu in the menu bar at the top.  Install any that are found.
Plug in your phone and look for it's little icon below the menu bar.  Click on it and the options window should open on the right side of the screen in a panel. 
Near the center of that panel will be a button that says "Back Up Now".  Press that and it will copy your apps with data to a file. 
When it is finished, you should see another few buttons above the backup button that says "Restore Phone".
Press "Restore Phone" and you will be given options I believe to restore from backup or as a new phone.  Choose new phone.
Once that finishes, you can then apply your previous backup from the "Restore Backup" button.
All your contacts, texts, apps, etc. will be restored to their original state.  You'll probably need to put your email passwords back in again, and your fingerprints, new password, etc. since the security stuff doesn't back up for obvious reasons.

Any other questions?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
No, that covers it.  The whole process is quite easy, I was only reluctant to do it based on the apple help topic saying that content from the App Store would not be restored.  I figured that was incorrect or misleading wording on their part, but I wanted to confirm before I deleted everything.  I've had an iPhone for like 8 years, but this is the first Phone ive really played any games on, so i don't want to lose their data.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top