Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 8:24:44 PM EDT
I'm going to be getting a new Lenovo Ideapad 310 this week.

I'm not a fan of all the crap that computer manufacturers usually taint the Windows installation with as I find that the stuff gets in the way and hogs a non-insignificant amount of processor time.

Aside from the obvious way of manually removing individual programs (which I feel doesn't always work 100%), is there a way to strip everything except for the actual Windows 10 Pro installation out of it?

I'm hoping to avoid doing a format.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
For just base install of Windows 10 with that shit that the manufacture put on there? Nope no way other than wiping out the partitions and complete fresh install.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For just base install of Windows 10 with that shit that the manufacture put on there? Nope no way other than wiping out the partitions and complete fresh install.
View Quote
I bought an HP laptop six months ago.  I bought a copy of Windows 7 thinking I would need to do a fresh install.
To my surprise HP kept the crapware to a minimum.
I used the MSCONFIG command to stop the crapware from loading at startup.
Also used MSCONFIG to locate non-Microsoft services and disable the crapware services I'll never use.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Windows 10 has a "Reset this PC" function.  You can also "upgrade" the PC from Win 10 media and select the "Keep Nothing" option.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:29:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Windows 10 has a "Reset this PC" function.  You can also "upgrade" the PC from Win 10 media and select the "Keep Nothing" option.
View Quote
That's what I've done on every computer I've upgraded to Win 10, except the first one. It's amazing how much better a clean install runs. I had forgot how much better Win 8 and 10 were at finding drivers until I had to put Win 7 on this computer and get rid of Win 10 (it had a bug with Win 10 that nothing I could find would fix and I had a couple spare Win 7 licenses). I had to find and install several of the drivers where with Win 10 I did a clean install on several computers (all different computers) and I don't think I had to install ANY drivers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:32:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Diskpart, select disk 0, clean.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Will "Reset this PC" strip out everything except the base Windows 10 installation, including shit that Lenovo may have put on?  Or, is the Lenovo crapware considered part of the base Windows 10 application?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Will "Reset this PC" strip out everything except the base Windows 10 installation, including shit that Lenovo may have put on?  Or, is the Lenovo crapware considered part of the base Windows 10 application?

Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks.
According to a Dell bulletin board note, there are several options with "Reset," including an option to "remove everything," which at least in the case of Dell, will remove any software that the manufacturer installed.

This is not a Dell factory image reset, this process will reinstall Windows 10 operating system, removes all of your personal files, removes apps and drivers you installed, removes any changes made to settings, and removes any apps that Dell installed. Be sure you have backed up your files prior to beginning this task.

Some Dell tablets may be configured to add Dell factory-installed software during this process.
I expect that this would be the case with Lenovo as well.  Note that this will include any Lenovo-specific drivers as well, so you may need to download and install drivers or some utilities in order to get full functionality from your computer (special-use keys, switch for wifi, etc).  And yes, in some cases there may be a blurry line between "crapware" and "full functionality" that you'll have to decide on.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote
I just did this with a Yoga. It will reload everything Lenovo put in their restore partition, which will make it look just like it did when you unboxed it.  I would find a way to do a clean Win10 install from external media.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#9]
So I got the PC today.

I was actually impressed at how little crapware Lenovo put on it.

In fact, there really wasn't any.  I did clean up a few Microsoft crap stains here and there: links to the Microsoft Store, the Edge browser, and some just plain silly tiles in the start menu.

Other than that, Lenovo sent me a virgin!
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So I got the PC today.

I was actually impressed at how little crapware Lenovo put on it.

In fact, there really wasn't any.  I did clean up a few Microsoft crap stains here and there: links to the Microsoft Store, the Edge browser, and some just plain silly tiles in the start menu.

Other than that, Lenovo sent me a virgin!
View Quote
They were busted for having serious security issues due to their bloatware. Maybe they have changed their ways as a result. See "bloatwaregate"
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They were busted for having serious security issues due to their bloatware. Maybe they have changed their ways as a result. See "bloatwaregate"
View Quote
Interesting, I did not know that.  Yes, maybe they pulled the plug on bloatware.  Hopefully, for good.  Goodbye, and good riddance.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:41:05 AM EDT
[#12]
PC Decrapifier was what I used to use in 2011/2012…don't know if it's still a thing (that was the last time I installed Windows).

Won't touch 10…at least for 3 more years.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:50:31 AM EDT
[#13]
windows 8 and 10 are their own bloatware.  My 10 laptop just decided it was going to deactivate windows on its own after forcing the 'anniversary update'.  Since you can't turn off updates in 10, I've been hibernating instead of shutting down/restarting to avoid shovelware, but apparently after so long microsoft just says "fuck you" and the computer force-restarts.  And now it won't activate windows.  Error message says no valid key found, troubleshooter says "we found a windows 10 pro key, please install windows 10 pro" which IS what is installed.  Fuckheads.  Lenovo support is ultimately responsible for this, they did a shit-tastic job on the depot service.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Return it and get something else. Lenovo has a history of coming preinstalled with malware, and not just once or twice. It is embedded in their systems and you are not just going to be able to uninstall it.

https://www.google.com/amp/thehackernews.com/2015/08/lenovo-rootkit-malware.html%3Famp%3D1
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Return it and get something else. Lenovo has a history of coming preinstalled with malware, and not just once or twice. It is embedded in their systems and you are not just going to be able to uninstall it.

https://www.google.com/amp/thehackernews.com/2015/08/lenovo-rootkit-malware.html%3Famp%3D1
View Quote
I looked at getting a new T series about year ago…waited too long and they stopped offering Windows 7 downgrade rights. My current employer dropped them as a preferred vendor over that…
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#16]
before wiping out the original OS get your Windows activation key you'll need it for the new install.

Take inventory of machine specific device drivers and download them while you still can

Then install the new Windows, slap in your activation key, install your machine specific device drivers

Do a system image backup

I rebuilt my old Sony Vaio last year by replacing the hard drive with a SSD drive, no bloat ware for me
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
before wiping out the original OS get your Windows activation key you'll need it for the new install.
View Quote
On newer machines, the product key is burned into the UEFI (BIOS) and will be automatically activated when you reinstall.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:26:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

On newer machines, the product key is burned into the UEFI (BIOS) and will be automatically activated when you reinstall.
View Quote
How would I verify this on my PC, and where can I download a USB image of Windows 10?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:28:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How would I verify this on my PC, and where can I download a USB image of Windows 10?
View Quote
Depends on what kind of machine and how new it is. I would start with the vendor's support site.  

That being said, it never hurts to back up your keys manually as was suggested.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Microsoft has a page for downloading Windows 10

If you check properties on 'my computer' you may see your product key, located under the 'Windows activation' section.  The product number will be 20 alpha-numeric characters, broken into groups of 5.  If you don't see it there, you can use a utility to recover it.  Nirsoft has a free utility to show the product keys of your installed Microsoft products, located here.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top