Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2017 2:46:31 PM EDT
I have a multi story house and the signal gets lost. Wondering if a mesh style system would work better?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If its possible to have ethernet cable run from the current router location to an opposite location in the house, a standard additional AP will give the best performance. 

If you cannot get a cable run, mesh may work for you... but there will be a performance penalty.

The only practical advice on Mesh I can offer is a LInk to 2017 Mesh systems.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought the Eero.  Didn't have signal way down the hall in the kitchen, or upstairs in the bedrooms, now I do.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for Eero
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If its possible to have ethernet cable run from the current router location to an opposite location in the house, a standard additional AP will give the best performance. 

If you cannot get a cable run, mesh may work for you... but there will be a performance penalty.

The only practical advice on Mesh I can offer is a LInk to 2017 Mesh systems.
View Quote
OP - look into PowerLine ethernet. I got a cheapo PowerLine kit from TP link with a built in AP.   Going between floors I get about 30mbps at the far end, which is plenty for streaming/surfing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have one.  I'm just using a single ubiquiti unifi ac ap lite and I have signal everywhere on my acre of land on my phone.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking of going the same route as the OP.  I currently have a Netgear nighthawk X4 AC2350 in the basement with an AP one floor up and still have connection and throughput issues.  Smallnetbuilder had a good review of the Netgear Orbi and I was thinking it could be a good choice (especially at Costco pricing ).
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The Orbi looks somewhat interesting. Their use of a third 'band' for backhaul sidesteps a common range extender issue. I haven't seen any reference to what 5ghz range is used for the backhaul though. As far as I know, 2.4ghz and 5ghz are the only two WiFi bands... Maybe they are just shaving a few channels off the 5ghz portion their APs use and calling those a backhaul channel?

My only concern is how far you can separate the base and satellite units. 5ghz is fast, but has liimited distance.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Orbi looks somewhat interesting. Their use of a third 'band' for backhaul sidesteps a common range extender issue. I haven't seen any reference to what 5ghz range is used for the backhaul though. As far as I know, 2.4ghz and 5ghz are the only two WiFi bands... Maybe they are just shaving a few channels off the 5ghz portion their APs use and calling those a backhaul channel?

My only concern is how far you can separate the base and satellite units. 5ghz is fast, but has liimited distance.
View Quote
A snippet from this review:

"Orbi's architecture is more like a conventional router + wireless extender with one key difference. Orbi uses a dedicated 4x4 MU-MIMO radio to connect separate AC1200 class simultaneous dual-band radios in both Router and Satellite. "Mesh" systems like eero, Luma and Ubiquiti Networks' Amplifi don't have dedicated backhaul radios. They use their AC1200 class radios for both backhaul and client device connection."

"Since this is a rather unique wireless router, these features deserve more attention. Let's start with the basic wireless setup. The wireless setup screen is the same in Basic or Advanced mode. It lets you set the channels for the 2x2 class client / device connect radio. The 2.4 GHz setting offers Auto and Ch 1-11, while the 5 GHz allows only low-band channels (36 - 48)."

I'd appreciate your take on the review.  TIA.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#10]
This graphic pretty much confirms what I guessed.

They are using a block of 5Ghz channels only for device-device communications. The upside of this is that the actual client connected 2.4 and 5 Ghz channels are not loaded with device-device traffic. The downside is that the client side connections are using a smaller pool of channels. IRL, the downside is pretty much a nothing for 90+% of the population. If you're fixated on getting wired equivalent speeds you're very unlikely to be looking at a range extender architecture. 

I am rather fond of the 4 gig ports on the satellite. That makes this both a bridge and an access point, and a decently fast bridge at that.

Again, the only real question I have is how far away you can move the nodes before you get a noticeable speed hit between them. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top