Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2017 12:44:35 PM EDT
Have a good desktop I built a few years ago sitting around with Win7 Pro on it that I am thinking of turning into a HTPC. Figured I could just get an HDMI cable and plug it into the TV unless anyone had some better ideas?

Figuring it would be used for Internet and watching movies that have been copied to the HD.

ETA - The movies would be the digital versions of ones I own legally, not illegal rips
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you'll be playing on the home theater - you want your platforms to be supported properly and well, so if you play your stuff off websites that require flash or something, you'll pretty much have to stick to Windows or OSX.

For just playing movies, linux variant of some sort will be fine. For access to things like Kodi, probably an android version.

I have Roku, which is what I watch the most, and XBox360 and PS3 (yes, I still haven't upgraded) can do most of what the Roku can, including playing movies and accessing Netflix - but the Roku is easiest and optimized for those tasks. I also have a full-on Mac-mini running OSX for some stuff I watch online through service providers which require current Flash as a player platform.

I've also got a Chromecast, so can just cast from a notebook PC or desktop directly to the big screen.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I did the same thing (on Win7), until I discovered Plex

If you have a smart tv, Roku, or Chromecast, just set up the desktop as a Plex server, stash it in a closet somewhere, and be done with it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Win 7 is fine. Run PLEX on top of it and store your inventory on it. If you want, you can keep it outside your HT area and run a nice, quiet Roku with the PLEX client.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:39:11 AM EDT
[#4]
In case anybody hasn't mentioned it yet, forget the htpc idea, setup a Plex server and get a roku.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I would use kodi if it's just going to be playing the local files connected to a tv. I have messed with it a little bit but I prefer my Roku and a NAS Plex server. It is much easier to use with the remote.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Downloaded Plex server and plan on trying it out, now just need to find the time :)
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I currently record and serve recorded TV to Amazon Fire Sticks running Kodi, using my old Win 7 HTPC, running Kodi and Argus TV.

Honestly, it should work for your purposes, as well. My ripped media is on a unraid server and also plays through Kodi.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#8]
poped in here to mention plex.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:53:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Just built a FreeNAS machine to specifically run Plex.  Rokus on all the TVs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top